• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The battle with Baytril continues

Den

Mama Doe
Hats off to anyone who has to administer this alone.

I hate stressing poor Nancy but I hold her securely whilst OH administers. She gets a treat straight afterwards but won't eat it until she's back with Will who then tries to steal the treat and refuses to groom her until she's given herself a thorough clean.

She's not fallen for any of my attempts at disguising it.:(

You may need to do what I do with Daphne... It appears barbaric but it's less stressful and easier.

I throw a blanket over her... kinda sit over the top of her on my knees with her between so she can't reverse. Apply a bit of weight so she can't run forwards then slowly uncover her face until I can locate her mouth. Hold her head still then pop the syringe in.

Sending lots of good medicine taking vibes and support for you x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hats off to anyone who has to administer this alone.

I hate stressing poor Nancy but I hold her securely whilst OH administers. She gets a treat straight afterwards but won't eat it until she's back with Will who then tries to steal the treat and refuses to groom her until she's given herself a thorough clean.

She's not fallen for any of my attempts at disguising it.:(

Yes I do it alone, and for some reason the dose of Baytril always seems so LARGE in comparison with other meds!

I try and shoot it into the side of the mouth in two bursts, whilst holding rabbit who desperately wants to get away.
I swear injections would be easier!

You may need to do what I do with Daphne... It appears barbaric but it's less stressful and easier.

I throw a blanket over her... kinda sit over the top of her on my knees with her between so she can't reverse. Apply a bit of weight so she can't run forwards then slowly uncover her face until I can locate her mouth. Hold her head still then pop the syringe in.

Sending lots of good medicine taking vibes and support for you x

This is how I medicate, cut nails etc, but without the blanket. If I found it necessary to use a blanket I wouldn't hesitate. I find that my rabbits have always been far less stressed when on the floor than on my lap.

This is how I medicate, cut nails etc, but without the blanket. If I found it necessary to use a blanket I wouldn't hesitate. I find that my rabbits have always been far less stressed when on the floor than on my lap.
Without the blanket I lose an arm ;)
The vet last night was impressed that I manage to administer all medicines by myself.

Without the blanket I lose an arm ;)
The vet last night was impressed that I manage to administer all medicines by myself.

Ah, you'll need to continue with the blanket then as arms are useful :lol:

I actually find it far easier and less stressful for the rabbit for me to do it by myself. It makes it less of an "unnatural event" if that makes sense.

Ah, you'll need to continue with the blanket then as arms are useful [emoji38]

I actually find it far easier and less stressful for the rabbit for me to do it by myself. It makes it less of an "unnatural event" if that makes sense.
Yes same. Although I do try to get OH involved every now and then to show him what to do incase I'm ever not able to do it.

I've never had help medicating my bunnies but some are definitely easier than others. What tactics have you tried Den? I really struggled to get baytril in Boo recently but mashing up a few nuggets, tiny bit of fruit baby food & a pinch of fenugreek powder worked a treat - I missed the fenugreek out once as an experiment, she wasn't fooled

I didn't appreciate how lucky I'd been until Parsley needed meds. Flop only put up a pretend struggle but would then let me put the syringe in his mouth and Bramble just sat there and would turn her head slightly so that I could get the syringe in more easily! Parsley was a two man job, until I realised could just squirt it on top of his porridge and he'd lap it up, or break up a fenugreek crunchie and put a bit on top of each bit.

Lopsy, for all his lack of brain cells, is wise to towels and blankets :roll: But if I soak baytril into a fenugreek crunchie he doesn't notice and just thinks it's a treat! Fenugreek crunchies are dished which means leaving the baytril to soak in is easy :D it's the only reason I have fenugreek crunchies around!

Lopsy, for all his lack of brain cells, is wise to towels and blankets :roll: But if I soak baytril into a fenugreek crunchie he doesn't notice and just thinks it's a treat! Fenugreek crunchies are dished which means leaving the baytril to soak in is easy :D it's the only reason I have fenugreek crunchies around!
You've got no idea how much I envy you :lol: If I try to hide even the smallest drop of any medication in any kind of treat my lot always know. Always.
I've tried the tiniest drop in a big blob of Ella's Kitchen puree and they still know. The only thing I've had success with was panacur put on a leaf and then wrapped up which tends to work pretty well because it's a thicker paste.
I did get a raspbery to work once (they're hollow! :lol:) but they got wise to it the second time. Plus it didn't really hold enough so didn't work out that well.

I think it was Baytril that I ended up mixing with Ella's Kitchen baby food (apple, pear and carrot), then spreading on slivers of banana...

It worked, as he can't resist bananas, but Sonic always ate it whilst looking me direct in the eyes :lol:

You've got no idea how much I envy you :lol: If I try to hide even the smallest drop of any medication in any kind of treat my lot always know. Always.
I've tried the tiniest drop in a big blob of Ella's Kitchen puree and they still know. The only thing I've had success with was panacur put on a leaf and then wrapped up which tends to work pretty well because it's a thicker paste.
I did get a raspbery to work once (they're hollow! :lol:) but they got wise to it the second time. Plus it didn't really hold enough so didn't work out that well.

You must be a mine of ingenuity when it comes to feeding meds to rabbits! :lol:

We used a teaspoon of mango pulp with some ground up pellets - watered down and given via the syringe - however I had to be sat in the run with them.

Doughnut won't take it on anything either. Tried banana or puree or mixing it with other medicine she likes. She just knows it's in there. I have to catch her then rest her on my knee sitting upright then with the syringe try and find to gap between her teeth
She's very wary of me for weeks though and won't take her other medicine. She usually runs over for it and I just pop the syringe in her mouth. I dread when I have to give that to her

Back