• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore Hocks !!

Lynn

Mama Doe
Does anyone elses bun get sore hocks, and if so, is there anything that can be applied that might help clear it up.

I have read the RWA link:

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/sorehocks.htm

The back of one of Robs thumper feet (I call the big back ones his thumpers, and the little front ones his prancers :oops: ) is quite red - it's not bleeding, but looks a bit red and sore. This happened once before and I took him to the vet, who advised that it didn't seem to bad, and to carry on with what I was doing - just bathing it each night with hot water, and some mild shampoo which is antibacterial). It did clear up but seemed to take a while.

He is mainly in the house, so the carpets maybe don't help this, but I can't really lift them all :roll: , and he is a bit of a big bunster, but I wouldn't call him obese :roll:

Does anyone use anything else which may help?

Hi Lynn, our Rex bunnies get sore hocks and we use Sudocrem, as it has zinc oxide (which protects against infection)and paraffin to keep the skin supple.
Hope this helps :D

Sudocrem antiseptic healing cream for eczema, bed sores, sunburn, surface wounds and excellent for sorting our sore rabbit hocks too :thumb:

Hi Adele - thanks very much for this info - I'll get some of this today. :)

I did read that Rex's are more prone to this - I'm not quite sure what's causing this with Rob.

Silly question alert :oops: :oops: , but I'm assuming this Sudocrem won't be harmful if he decides to lick it, which I'm sure he will. I decided to give his feet / underneath a good wash last night whilst attending to the 'sore thumper' and the poor little tyke then spent almost an hour licking himself (inbetween sending me evil glares :wink: )

You could try putting a piece of vetbed where he spends most time sitting.

If he's a little plump it wouldn't hurt to reduce his pellets a little ;)

Tam

You are welcome Lynn.
The Sudocrem absorbs quite well if rubbed on thinly.
I usually put a thin layer of the cream on the rabbits feet and then give a bowl of food to occupy them, until the cream has sunk into the skin.
After a few minutes dab at the feet with a piece of tissue to ensure any excess cream is removed.

Otherwise, sit your rabbit on your lap on a towel and have a cuddle whilst the cream gets to work
It is not ideal if the rabbit eats Sudocrem :? but it does seem to be the best product for the job, just supervise your bunny for a while after applying the cream and all should be fine.
We have used Sudocrem for many years.

Rabbits of any breed can get pressure sores on their feet, and as Tamsin suggests a piece of Vet bed under paw may help prevent the problem from happening in future, as it is usually when the rabbits sits on a hard floor that sore hocks develop.
Our Rex gets sores sitting in his concrete floored pen, we give him vet bed to sit and a nice soft bed of hay outside, but he prefers the hard floor :? :roll: :lol:

Adele said:
sit your rabbit on your lap on a towel and have a cuddle whilst the cream gets to work

Ooo ooo ooo, please can I watch, Lynn?
dustycouch.gif

I promise I'll stand by with the elastoplasts!!!!!!!!!!

1.gif

bunnyhuggger said:
Adele said:
sit your rabbit on your lap on a towel and have a cuddle whilst the cream gets to work

dustycouch.gif

Lynda, has anyone ever told you that you are more NUTTY than a fruitcake :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I hope you are not mocking my Rabbit Nurse maid advice, else we may have to give YOU some treatment and taste of your own medicine to sort you out :p :twisted: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ..now what would Lynda need Sudocrem for... :roll: ... :roll: .... :idea: ...Eureka, ANTI WRINKLE CREAM?? :twisted: :twisted: ...only kidding Lynda, you certainly do not need that being a picture of loveliness :D,,must be all those rabbits keeping you looking young :wink:

Tamsin said:
You could try putting a piece of vetbed where he spends most time sitting.

I did try a big sort towel I have, but he kept moving to a new spot :roll: . Then he started chewing it, so that was moved quick smart :wink:

Tamsin said:
If he's a little plump it wouldn't hurt to reduce his pellets a little ;)

Because Rob has been ill recently (colon problems), and is still on some medication, his vet has advised that at the moment, food going in, and poos coming out (with no pain) is the main thing :wink: . He was 3.9 kilos at the start of this year, and through diet we got him down to 3.6 in July. However, he then got ill and went down to 3.25 within a week. He's back to about 3.5 now. At the moment he's doing really well, and I'm too scared to change anything :roll: :roll:

Tam, do you know what a medium lop would on average weigh, or does it vary too much to say :) :)

Claude has sore hocks on all four paws it doesnt bother him i was using aloe vera gel on it to help sooth but the vet told me not to because everytime you put something on it it softens it up and you need to let it harden up, since then i havent put anything on it and they havent got any worse he has lots of vet bed to sit on in his pen.

Sorry Lyn, I didn't realise he was still having meds. It varies quite a lot especially for a cross breed. Even pedigree bunnies can vary so you really need to go on what the bunny looks like rather than a set breed weight.

If he's going to have a follow up at the vets then you could ask and they'll be able to tell you whether he's about the right weight. If they say he is then note down the weight and then you know what a healthy weight for him is in the future :D

Unless he's obviously over weight then its probably not making much of a contribution to his toes.

Tam

Tamsin said:
Sorry Lyn, I didn't realise he was still having meds. It varies quite a lot especially for a cross breed. Even pedigree bunnies can vary so you really need to go on what the bunny looks like rather than a set breed weight.Tam

Tam, are you implying the Robster ain't a Pedigree :lol: :lol: :lol: . Ach well he's a fine specimen of a bunster :wink:

My vet does monitor his weight, but her standards are hard for a hungry bunster to live up to :wink: She's happy with him at the mo.

bunnyhuggger said:
Adele said:

dustycouch.gif

Oy, missus Bunnyhuggger, are you implying my Robster ain't a cuddle bun :roll:

Adele said:
I hope you are not mocking my Rabbit Nurse maid advice

Adele, I am sure for your very well behaved sanctuary buns, this works perfectly :) Can I send the Robster to Auntie Adele, along with a box of elastoplasts :wink: . All I can say is I hope his Sudocrem stuff is very very very fast drying :wink:

Lynn said:
:
Adele, I am sure for your very well behaved sanctuary buns, this works perfectly :) Can I send the Robster to Auntie Adele, along with a box of elastoplasts :wink: . All I can say is I hope his Sudocrem stuff is very very very fast drying :wink:[/quot

:lol: :lol: :lol: Lynn the Sanctuary rabbits are not well behaved at all, they are little :twisted: at the best of times, but we love them dearly :lol:
I would be delighted to have the Robster come and visit us, but I am not sure what it is you want me to do with the elastoplasts. :? .stick it over his mouth to get his intake of food incheck by any chance :shock: :lol: ..oh gawd, with rabbit nursing skills like that, he is safer in your hands :D
I think I will sign off now before you use the plasters to gage ME.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lynn said:
Oy, missus Bunnyhuggger, are you implying my Robster ain't a cuddle bun :roll:

Would I EVER suggest such a thing? :shock: :lol:

Look what happened to Chris, he was on crutches!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Lynn said:
Tam, are you implying the Robster ain't a Pedigree :lol: :lol: :lol: . Ach well he's a fine specimen of a bunster :wink:

He's much rarer than a pedigree, he's a one of the kind! :D

Tam

bunnyhuggger said:
:shock: No way!!!!!!! He's just having you on now to get out of doing his chores :lol:

That's OK - he's very enthusiastic about the prospect of bunny bonding at the moment, so he's in my good books. :)

Back