• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Changing rabbits name -will it confuse the rabbit?

NixNax

Young Bun
Hi, I wasn't sure where to post this thread. We have a 8.5 month old French lop. We've had our bunny since they were 8 weeks old and very quickly learnt to come to me when I called her name. About 2 months ago she went in to be spayed, got told there was something there but not obviously male or female and most likely a hermaphrodite. A month ago I'm sure I felt testicles so pretty sure she is in fact a he. Her name is Trixie, at home we're debating whether to keep him with a girls name or change it. If changed how quickly would he learn new name or would it confuse the rabbit by changing it? I can call her anywhere in the house and she'll come if her name is called. My eldest son named her and thinks he should choose new name but I'm wondering if changed it should be similar to Trixie. My other son thinks we should just choose a new boys name we all like. My daughter wanted Jessie originally when we first got the bunny - would 've been easier if that name had been pulled out the hat! I know people who have had rescue rabbits must change the names sometimes but how long does it take for the rabbit to recognise new name?

Personally I wouldn't change the name. I don't think it matters that it's not deemed appropriate for a female. I would also find it difficult as an owner to think of the rabbit with a different name.

I would just go with Trix!

My son is called Alex, his older sister Ellie, we didn't really think about it when we named them but both ended up being shortened to Elle/Al at times and both kids would turn round/answer to hearing either being called. We should try and not shorten them when they are both in the same vicinity really but it just pops out! Now we call Alex Lex if we use a shortened version and I end up calling him Lexie (although not round his friends!) I'm sure Trix would be nice for your bunny and can still use Trixie too :D

I would just go with Trix!

My son is called Alex, his older sister Ellie, we didn't really think about it when we named them but both ended up being shortened to Elle/Al at times and both kids would turn round/answer to hearing either being called. We should try and not shorten them when they are both in the same vicinity really but it just pops out! Now we call Alex Lex if we use a shortened version and I end up calling him Lexie (although not round his friends!) I'm sure Trix would be nice for your bunny and can still use Trixie too :D

This! It's kinda cool :) x

I have a male bun called Melanie... he knows his name so I didn't like to change it. Otherwise I might have done. I (obviously) don't think it matters though, unless Trixie knows his/her name...

My opinion - I would keep the name. It's only a name and it's what Trixie is used to. It's a lovely name and I'd definately not change the name.

Back