• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baby Bunny Care

bunnytales

Mama Doe
Hiya Bunny Folks!

As some of you will know the two remaining rescue bunnies that were brought up from Bristol will go to their new Foster Mum tonight :cry: under the wings of the RSPCA - These two bunsters pickie is in the 10 Lop Rescue Thread.

When they go to their new Foster mum tonight they may be housed outside.
They have been indoors since Saturday and the younger daughter is very young - I would think 4/5 months at the most - she still has a fluffy baby coat and I'm a bit worried about the cold for her particularly.

Should I stress to the New Foster Mum that they should ideally be housed indoors or are young bunnies quite hardy at this age.

Also re diet - I have kept their diet to a minimum really - due to the stress of travelling on Saturday they have had very limited pellet food - just lots of fresh hay and very very small amount of veg.
Is there some good advice I can give the new Foster Mum re Diet as although these two bunnies have a small supply of their old food mix left they will now go through a diet change as the brand of food they were on is not one I've ever heard of.

It may be that the New Foster Mum is well experienced I'm not sure - so I just wanted to be prepared with some help for her just in case.

Over and Out

The foster mum has hutch & run combos. She should be fine outside with lots of bedding. I believe she was outside at the rescue before.

Its a good idea to continue the plenty of hay and a few pellets, with as gradual as possible switch to the new brand of pellets.

What you have done sounds perfect so let her know so she can continue the same way :)

Tam

:lol: Thanks Tams

What am I like eh! - Temp Bunny Mum for two days and fretting about makeing sure the bunsters are o.k!

Thanks for the reassurance Matey.

Over and Out

whats the name of the food they were on?
SOmeone might have heard of it and know where to get it from
chris

Thanks Folks

The bunnies are now settled in with their new Foster Mum under the wings of the RSPCA -
Foster Mum Heather will keep them indoors tonight as its a little cold and make things nice and snug for them for tomorrow evening.

I think the food they were on was called "munch crunch" or something similar - I've given Heather a large tub full which was provided with the Bunnies although Heather does sound really knowledgable with Bunns which I felt better about and she say's she will wean them off their present food gradually onto one of other brands.

:cry: :cry: Good night little bunns - missing you already!!!

psssssssst, Lany, you could always go and get them back :wink:

I can just hear them now:

Little bunny "Where's that nice lady, the one we stayed with last night, wouldn't it be nice to stay with her forever, she was really nice and cuddled us, and fed us, and made us feel wanted..............."

Big bunny: "Awwww, she can't keep us so we'll just have to wait.........."

:wink:

bunnyhuggger said:
psssssssst, Lany, you could always go and get them back :wink:

I can just hear them now:

Little bunny "Where's that nice lady, the one we stayed with last night, wouldn't it be nice to stay with her forever, she was really nice and cuddled us, and fed us, and made us feel wanted..............."

Big bunny: "Awwww, she can't keep us so we'll just have to wait.........."

:wink:

Oy - you little devil
:lol: :lol: - I'm already being such a creep with MOH re the arrival of ZAC - do you really want me to be in the Divorce Courts next month :lol: :lol:

These little rescue bunns were sooo cute though which I guess is good for them as they stand more of a chance - ZAC on the other hand is JUST
:lol: :lol: BIG, BLACK AND BEAUTIFULLLLLLLLLLL

Back