• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Inside?

Lynn's Bunny

Mama Doe
Wow, I haven't posted in ages. I have 2 rabbits. My oldest is 11 years old and then I have a netherland dwarf who is 4 years old. Both live in an outbuilding, which they have free range in. It is approx 12 feet by 10 feet, has 2 windows and electricity to it. In the spring/summer I have an enclosure which is predator proof and is 5 feet by 5 feet.

Now that my oldest is getting on in age I'm curious if I should consider bringing my other rabbit inside when the older one passes (which hopefully won't be for a couple more years or more).

I seriously miss them in winter because it gets so cold in their house that I can't stay out for very long. They do have heatpads to sit on to take the chill off.

And I'm unsure if I will adopt another bunny. So I worry mine would get lonely. But do you think she'd make the transition ok? Our house is fairly calm and quiet as it is just me and my husband and a tortoise inside. I have a spare room that I would set up a pen in and then she could have the run of the house when we're home.

I'm just not sure if this would be cruel? She is used to living outside, well, in the outbuilding.

I'm looking for my guidance and if anyone else has done this please let me know. Thank you in advance. 😊

Yes I have done this and it worked very well.The rabbit had a base in the spare bedroom and had the run of most of the upstairs.Its amazing how much more tame they become living indoors and they soon adjust to the sounds and smells of indoors.As you home is quiet as ours is,I think there is every chance she would cope with the transition.She would need a little time to get used to everything of course but Im sure she would enjoy the company and stimulation.

I think providing you are at home enough to provide company, and that she is a rabbit that enjoys human company, I am sure she would settle in to being a house bunny :thumb: some of the rabbits I have had in the past hated being inside and were real rabbity rabbits and would not have made house bunnies at all.

"Our house is fairly calm and quiet" - I think Lynns bunny, you have just answered your own question. From my own personal opinion, yes, please do bring the bunnies indoors. Now, I had 2 buns that we sadly lost 3 months - bonded, and they lived happily outside in their hutch most of the year. When it got very cold in winter, we brought them into the spare area at the beck of the living room. Ben, the male, wasn't that keen even though he was the biggest softest most gentle rabbit you could imagine. He liked outdoors. Georgina, his bun-wife, liked the nicer things and loved the chance to be inside. This worked during the cold spells we had. Now we've adopted 2 new buns and they've been housebound since we got them. Lillian was malnourished and hadn't really got a good fur coat. Having them indoors works for us and as long as you take a few precautions, they should be more than comfortable. Calm and quiet is a great start - I would say perfect. All animals benefit from a calm atmosphere and having you and your husband there will only help in the grand scale of things. Your rabbits will feel part of a closer social group - having you there, the new smells and sounds. They will be protected from elements - rain, wind and cold and you can always leave a radio on or something if you go out. Just make sure you protect any exposed wires and be prepared for a bit of chewing. You can let them have a good old run during the day, but I would say that your bunnies will benefit from the experience and feel a stronger bond with you. Hope this helps. Craig

Back