• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit friendly sofas?!

Casco

Mama Doe
Ok I know there isn’t really such a thing, but I want to buy new sofas and am looking for the best option with house rabbits. I can’t get recliners :cry: because of the bunnies, and I need there to be no / very little gap underneath to stop them getting under the sofa.

Has anyone found a particular fabric or design best to limit the bunstruction? I want fabric sofas, currently have leather and I find them too cold. The bunnies have personalised the current ones with nibbles along the bottom and a few holes in the seat & back areas. I know the only way to prevent it happening again is to stop them getting to the sofas but as they live in the living room it’s not very practical to do that.

I got my latest sofa from IKEA. It has a replaceable fabric cover which my bunnies have nibbled the bottom of but the main frame of it is intact. If I need to in the future I know I can replace the cover much more cheaply than a whole sofa. It does have feet so the bunnies can go under the sofa but you can leave them off so there's no gap. I left mine on so my buns can go under and have an extra bolt hole [emoji3] And as an added bonus it's one of the cheapest sofas in the range!

ETA: it's the Klippan two seater sofa I have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think a trip to Ikea is on the cards, a couple of friends have also recommended their sofas. Do your bunnies not chew the bottom of the sofa when they are underneath? That was the main reason I preferred a small gap, also incase they hide under there when it’s time for them to go back in or go to the vet etc!

I got my latest sofa from IKEA. It has a replaceable fabric cover which my bunnies have nibbled the bottom of but the main frame of it is intact. If I need to in the future I know I can replace the cover much more cheaply than a whole sofa. It does have feet so the bunnies can go under the sofa but you can leave them off so there's no gap. I left mine on so my buns can go under and have an extra bolt hole [emoji3] And as an added bonus it's one of the cheapest sofas in the range!

ETA: it's the Klippan two seater sofa I have

Is the Klippan comfortable? :wave:

I think a trip to Ikea is on the cards, a couple of friends have also recommended their sofas. Do your bunnies not chew the bottom of the sofa when they are underneath? That was the main reason I preferred a small gap, also incase they hide under there when it’s time for them to go back in or go to the vet etc!

Mine haven't really chewed underneath it, but that of course doesn't guarantee yours wouldn't as I think there is some wood in the frame!

Oh and yep they have dived underneath it a few times when I've tried to get hold of them for a vet trip and I've ended up having to flip it over to get at them! I always surround it with puppy panels beforehand now so they don't get the chance to do it.

Ok I know there isn’t really such a thing, but I want to buy new sofas and am looking for the best option with house rabbits. I can’t get recliners :cry: because of the bunnies, and I need there to be no / very little gap underneath to stop them getting under the sofa.

Has anyone found a particular fabric or design best to limit the bunstruction? I want fabric sofas, currently have leather and I find them too cold. The bunnies have personalised the current ones with nibbles along the bottom and a few holes in the seat & back areas. I know the only way to prevent it happening again is to stop them getting to the sofas but as they live in the living room it’s not very practical to do that.
We just bought a new sofa and asked for a rabbit friendly one in the shop. The chap thought we were bonkers. Haha

It's from Harvey's it's got little wooden feet at the front, but the bunnies can't fit under (something I was worried about too).

It's fabric and we made sure the armrests and top of the back cushions are large enough for a bun to sit on! (one of their favourite viewpoints)

So far they haven't chewed it, but we bought accidental cover with it, which covers pet damage up to 3 times! So if the buns chew a huge hole in it, they will fix it for free for us. :)

It's called the Connie, it's very comfy and you can choose what fabric you want and what size.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Our sofa is from SCS.... honestly we're incredibly lucky that the girls haven't chewed it... to me it's prime chewing material.
It has fabric seats and cushions but it's got a soft fake leather trim around the front & same for the arms. Very small gap under it. I think they leave it alone as it's right to the wall so no gap at the back either.... They've put one hole in the foot stall for the chair but I think that's because it was in the way.... I've attached picture of the chair as OH is on the sofa atm. (Please excuse mess)
3033772f9cabd3be9285218eff853957.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

We just bought a new sofa and asked for a rabbit friendly one in the shop. The chap thought we were bonkers. Haha

I bet he did :lol: I do like the look of that one, saw it on their website.

I’ve taken the bull by the horns and bought one in Ikea. So unlike me to be so quick to spend money I usually look into it in great detail! Have gone for one with a chaise longue so I can have my feet up and lounge around in comfort :lol:

DP your looks very comfy, I’ve only bought a 3 seater at the moment and am thinking of adding something like yours once I see how much space is available.

Unfortunately I don't have any advice on fabrics but with the gap thing, the gap under my sofa is big enough for bunnies to squeeze through so I used foam pipe insulation to block it off. It comes in different sizes so if you get some that is a teeny bit bigger than the gap you can squeeze it under and it's pretty secure, doesn't require any fastening down. http://www.rachelsnest.com/2013/07/diy-under-sofa-toy-blocker.html It's dark and if you push it in a few inches you can't see it unless your head is on the floor

The sofa I’ve gone for has a very tiny gap, the rabbits wont be able to get under it but that’s a brilliant idea for stopping stray poops rolling under! As well as random kids stuff - I’m always finding small things like pencils, Lego and nerf darts under there.

sorry - but whenever I read this title I think of a sofa that's for the rabbits, not a sofa that is good when you own rabbits :lol:

Back