• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffles?

shauna_hale

Young Bun
My 2 momma bunnies are acting normal, eating, pooping, etc. But, within the last few days I've noticed a noise that sounds like a loud, huffing, maybe. I think they're sneezing or coughing. One is doing it more than the other. Does snuffles always have noes and eye issues as a symptom? Because their eyes and noses are fine.

I went ahead and scheduled a vet appt for tomorrow (bunny vets are hard to find in my area) because there are 4 babies and IF the moms are sick, I really, really don't want sick babies.

Is there something else it could be? I lost one bunny this month. My heart cannot take losing any more.

Thank you for any info!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

My 2 momma bunnies are acting normal, eating, pooping, etc. But, within the last few days I've noticed a noise that sounds like a loud, huffing, maybe. I think they're sneezing or coughing. One is doing it more than the other. Does snuffles always have noes and eye issues as a symptom? Because their eyes and noses are fine.

I went ahead and scheduled a vet appt for tomorrow (bunny vets are hard to find in my area) because there are 4 babies and IF the moms are sick, I really, really don't want sick babies.

Is there something else it could be? I lost one bunny this month. My heart cannot take losing any more.

Thank you for any info!

'Snuffles' can initially present with increased respiratory sounds but no nasal/ocular discharge. It's impossible to say what may be causing your two Doe's symptoms without a full examination. There are many possibilities. It is certainly wise to get them both checked out by the Vet ASAP, I would also let the Vet know that you have had a recent 'sudden death' of one of your Rabbits. The problems that your Does are having may be unrelated, but there is a risk that they could be. I blieve you said that the Rabbit who passed away had displayed some ocular/nasal discharge for a few days prior to death ?

I hope that all of your Rabbits will be OK.

'Snuffles' can initially present with increased respiratory sounds but no nasal/ocular discharge. It's impossible to say what may be causing your two Doe's symptoms without a full examination. There are many possibilities. It is certainly wise to get them both checked out by the Vet ASAP, I would also let the Vet know that you have had a recent 'sudden death' of one of your Rabbits. The problems that your Does are having may be unrelated, but there is a risk that they could be. I hope that all of your Rabbits will be OK.
Thanks! This time I'm just gonna jump to the vet option.

Thank you for any info!

Hi Shauna :wave:

Sometimes a rabbit can have the symptoms you describe without any discharge. Or sometimes the discharge comes along later.

There's loads a vet can do to help, though :)

If it's an Upper Respiratory Infection - or just a problem, then Bisolvon can thin any mucous that might be making them cough and it will pass without 'scarring' the nasal tissue. You are right to do something straight away, as often leaving things (especially in this weather) isn't a good idea.

Good luck xx

Hi Shauna :wave:

Sometimes a rabbit can have the symptoms you describe without any discharge. Or sometimes the discharge comes along later.

There's loads a vet can do to help, though :)

If it's an Upper Respiratory Infection - or just a problem, then Bisolvon can thin any mucous that might be making them cough and it will pass without 'scarring' the nasal tissue. You are right to do something straight away, as often leaving things (especially in this weather) isn't a good idea.

Good luck xx
I looked up Bisolvon...sadly, everywhere else on the planet has it EXCEPT the US. It looks like the active ingredient isn't used here. Not sure why, but ok. Maybe it's not available over the counter. Anyway, I'll definitely read the article amd take them to the vet.

Thanks!

I looked up Bisolvon...sadly, everywhere else on the planet has it EXCEPT the US. It looks like the active ingredient isn't used here. Not sure why, but ok. Maybe it's not available over the counter. Anyway, I'll definitely read the article amd take them to the vet.

Thanks!

You're welcome :)

There might be something similar to Bisolvon that you can ask for? I always have to ask my vet for it, as she doesn't prescribe it otherwise.

I hope the vet visit goes well x

Thanks!

You should be able to obtain an equivalent (same active ingredient-'Bromhexine Hydrochloride' )

http://www.jedds.com/shop/avio-bromhexine-100g-aviomed/

Do check with a qualified Vet first though

Thanks! I noticed that as soon as I scheduled an appointment with the vet, the rabbits stopped coughing or sneezing. (Insert eyeroll here) Ugh. They're still going!

Good luck!

If you can get something like the Bisolvon when you are there, at least your visit won't be wasted :)

Thanks! I noticed that as soon as I scheduled an appointment with the vet, the rabbits stopped coughing or sneezing. (Insert eyeroll here) Ugh. They're still going!

Hey you're welcome :wave:

I was just searching Bisolvon in the States, and I wonder why it's not available?

Bromhexine is an expectorant/mucolytic agent. Bromhexine is not available in the United States. It is marketed under the trade name Bisolvon(R) in Germany, England, Belgium, France, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Australia, and South Africa.

That could be as annoying to you as not being able to get Bicillin in the U.K. was for us!

I was just searching Bisolvon in the States, and I wonder why it's not available?

Bromhexine is an expectorant/mucolytic agent. Bromhexine is not available in the United States. It is marketed under the trade name Bisolvon(R) in Germany, England, Belgium, France, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Australia, and South Africa.

That could be as annoying to you as not being able to get Bicillin in the U.K. was for us!

Probably money related and someone isn't getting the kickback they want, but that's just my cynicism.

This little booger decided to start sneezing too, so I brought it as well. Idk if it's a boy or girl yet...still too little to tell.
061e572cc2110b2d180ce39befce3b1e.jpg

Ok, vet said since none of the other babies are sick, and the mommas conveniently stopped sneezing, the baby that was still sneezing may have aspiration pneumonia. It's getting an injection of Enrofloxacin (baytril). I hope this works.

Of course, this vet said that the momma rabbits should be feeding every couple of hours, so, cross your fingers...

Probably money related and someone isn't getting the kickback they want, but that's just my cynicism.

This little booger decided to start sneezing too, so I brought it as well. Idk if it's a boy or girl yet...still too little to tell.
061e572cc2110b2d180ce39befce3b1e.jpg

Oook, pretty cute though :love:

Oook, pretty cute though :love:
I somehow managed to reply to myself, lol.

Ok, vet said since none of the other babies are sick, and the mommas conveniently stopped sneezing, the baby that was still sneezing may have aspiration pneumonia. I was given azithromycin for all bunnies so I hope this works.

Of course, this vet said that the momma rabbits should be feeding every couple of hours, so, cross your fingers...

I somehow managed to reply to myself, lol.

Ok, vet said since none of the other babies are sick, and the mommas conveniently stopped sneezing, the baby that was still sneezing may have aspiration pneumonia. I was given azithromycin for all bunnies so I hope this works.

How's it going shauna? I hope all is OK and that that little one hasn't got pneumonia :)

How's it going shauna? I hope all is OK and that that little one hasn't got pneumonia :)
I hope not either, but it's possible. The breathing sounds kinda funny and it's sneezing some.

The vet did give me some antibiotics for all of my bunnies to cover my bases.

I hope it works!

I hope not either, but it's possible. The breathing sounds kinda funny and it's sneezing some.

The vet did give me some antibiotics for all of my bunnies to cover my bases.

I hope it works!

I'll be thinking of you all, and sending best vibes x

Back