• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

More stasis (kind of a rant)

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
Not really a question so I haven't put it in 'health' like I normally do. Probably shouldn't be posting at all as it's just a rant/minor breakdown but I'm up alone with no one to talk to at the moment so got to vent somewhere.. Feel free to ignore.
Cody appears to be in stasis. I'm not sure yet if his teeth are involved though I'm slightly suspecting as he's had a very slight on-off pickiness about his food over the past two weeks or so. He had his RHD2 vaccination at the end of last month but vet couldn't check his teeth as he wasn't cooperating. At all. He nearly broke his legs or worse as he tried twice to jump off the table and as his teeth have always been good I told him not to worry. Regretting that now.
That said it may have nothing to do with teeth. Cody's had a major stasis episode which we nearly lost him to before - about 13 months ago. We lost Maple to a similar problem two days after he had it (stasis following major weight loss - never did find the cause for it in Cody)

I'm currently waiting for the vet to open and just trying to keep him warm at the moment. I've got ranitidine but daren't give it to him at the moment until the vet's seen him. All out of emeprid.
Oh, and my normal rabbit-savvy vet is still away and won't be back until the 8th. Because they always pick the day that she's away.
All of this and Pixel's only just picking up from a major reaction to the anaethetic used for his dentals, which he's taken a full week and a bit to recover from.
Why does it always happen all at once, every time :(
It seems like there's always something wrong with my rabbits. It's really making me feel like I'm doing something wrong because this just can't be normal.

Not really a question so I haven't put it in 'health' like I normally do. Probably shouldn't be posting at all as it's just a rant/minor breakdown but I'm up alone with no one to talk to at the moment so got to vent somewhere.. Feel free to ignore.
Cody appears to be in stasis. I'm not sure yet if his teeth are involved though I'm slightly suspecting as he's had a very slight on-off pickiness about his food over the past two weeks or so. He had his RHD2 vaccination at the end of last month but vet couldn't check his teeth as he wasn't cooperating. At all. He nearly broke his legs or worse as he tried twice to jump off the table and as his teeth have always been good I told him not to worry. Regretting that now.
That said it may have nothing to do with teeth. Cody's had a major stasis episode which we nearly lost him to before - about 13 months ago. We lost Maple to a similar problem two days after he had it (stasis following major weight loss - never did find the cause for it in Cody)

I'm currently waiting for the vet to open and just trying to keep him warm at the moment. I've got ranitidine but daren't give it to him at the moment until the vet's seen him. All out of emeprid.
Oh, and my normal rabbit-savvy vet is still away and won't be back until the 8th. Because they always pick the day that she's away.
All of this and Pixel's only just picking up from a major reaction to the anaethetic used for his dentals, which he's taken a full week and a bit to recover from.
It seems like there's always something wrong with my rabbits. It's really making me feel like I'm doing something wrong because this just can't be normal.

I am sorry that Cody is unwell. I doubt that you are doing anything wrong. Unfortunately when we have several Rabbits it can be that illness seems to occur in clusters, with no real reason as to 'why'.

Has Cody passed any poo overnight ? I hope that the Vet will see him promptly and that he'll soon be feeling a lot better xx

I am sorry that Cody is unwell. I doubt that you are doing anything wrong. Unfortunately when we have several Rabbits it can be that illness seems to occur in clusters, with no real reason as to 'why'.

Has Cody passed any poo overnight ? I hope that the Vet will see him promptly and that he'll soon be feeling a lot better xx

I know, you're probably right. It just seems to happen so often that I always feel I must be doing something wrong. But there are eight of them, I suppose they're bound to come up with a lot more than a single bun or a pair.
I'm sure there's something to do with the seasons too. They seem to always come up with more in winter. I don't know why that would be but it seems to be a pattern..

No, none that I've seen. I've been up all night and been in checking on him. He did eat a very, very tiny bit around 12-1am but has refused everything else so far.
Usually my vet's are very good in that they know that bunny not eating = emergency and they get them in as soon as possible. They almost always say come striaght in. They're really good like that.
At this point all the receptionists know who I am when I phone, they never need to ask :oops: They just ask which bunny it is!

I'm sorry Cody isn't well. Good luck at the vets.

With so many, we've definitely had times where it seems like it's all happening at the same time, so I can sympathise. Often in life generally its like this isn't it, just as your trying to cope with one thing, other things always happen x

It always seems to be :( Around this time last year we had Lunar in as an emergency after choking on a pellet, about six weeks later Cody went down with stasis, two days later Maple and then we lost her. Then my dog got a bone infection new years eve which cleared up.. Then at the end of Jan we lost him to a tumor we never knew he had. Then the following month Snowflake had a severe stasis episode herself which the vet was surprised she survived. Jazz also had a minor stasis episode which resolved very quickly thankfully.
All that within four months. I'm not sure there weren't a few other illnesses in between. I know Snowflake also had her eyes flare up again (allergies) which needed drops and I think Mishka had eye problems around then too.

Cody's been admitted. He's on fluids obviously. He's getting bloods done and an ultrasound and the vet's going to call me back when that's done. But unfortunately he does indeed have spurs. He's always had good teeth :(
They're on lower molars and apparently it's slightly red so it's obviously causing him trouble.
Problem is they only have one vet in today. There were supposed to be two but one's ill so just one overworked vet. I feel really sorry for him, he's only been in 45 minutes and he was already busy.
He doesn't think he can do the dental today though he's trying to get another vet in but obviously he doesn't want to do that unless he's clear of the stasis or it'll be too much for Cody.
One small piece of good news - he passed a single dropping in the carrier and it was very normal looking. A small thing I know but about all we've got in the way of positivity today.

So sorry to hear this. I hope you get it resolved soon, and hopefully a reason for why it might have happened x

I imagine it must be the teeth that have caused it. It probably didn't help that he was under a huge amount of stress this morning (he's not one for being handled. He adores a stroke but anything resembling picking up is a direct no-no, and I had to chase him around the room to catch him to get him in the carrier :( then some fairly heavy restraining at vets to keep him from launching off the table)
I had a phone call just now from the vet, he hasn't done the ultrasound just yet but the glucose is 8.4 and lactate 12.7.
With that said apparently he's been passing a very good number of droppings and supposedly taking critical care very happily from syringe (if this is true I want to know the nurse managing to do this and give them a medal)

The plan at the moment is to pick him up at 6.30, syringe feed/meds overnight then have him admitted again tomorrow and if he seems to be doing well enough they'll do the dental.

I'm sorry you've got another poorly rabbit. It sounds as though Cody has been well looked after at the vets. I hope they manage to get his pesky teeth sorted out tomorrow.

Sending lots of hugs.

Don't want to bother you all with this but just in case anyone was wondering about him my little boy is back home :love:
And better yet he's eating :D Apparently he passed a lot while he was there and was eating on his own but since he's been home he's had some veg, a couple of pellets and some hay and he's eating quite enthusiastically. He's very bouncy too. Only problem is they've left the catheter in his ear as he's going back first thing in the morning. He's already shaking his head and scratching and from previous experience with Snowflake we're taking bets on how long it's going to stay in.
Plan is to readmit tomorrow and possibly do dentals. They have a locum in so it will probably be her.
Anyway, so far he's doing well since he's been home so I'm thankful for that :)

Don't want to bother you all with this but just in case anyone was wondering about him my little boy is back home :love:
And better yet he's eating :D Apparently he passed a lot while he was there and was eating on his own but since he's been home he's had some veg, a couple of pellets and some hay and he's eating quite enthusiastically. He's very bouncy too. Only problem is they've left the catheter in his ear as he's going back first thing in the morning. He's already shaking his head and scratching and from previous experience with Snowflake we're taking bets on how long it's going to stay in.
Plan is to readmit tomorrow and possibly do dentals. They have a locum in so it will probably be her.
Anyway, so far he's doing well since he's been home so I'm thankful for that :)

Good news :D

I hope the dental goes well tomorrow x

Thank you all :) xx
Thing's have gone better than expected - he's home with us now :D
The locum vet was excellent and I got the impression she knew a lot about rabbits. She was very thorough and was happy with how he's been doing. She looked at his mouth and said actually she didn't think they needed doing. She said the tops are fine, the bottoms have some vertical spurs but that they're not too bad (which is different to what we were told yesterday) but that she wasn't keen to do a dental as he'd obviously been ill yesterday and she said it would be putting him under for 'basically nothing'. Going on how well he's been going through food overnight and this morning (including massive amounts of hay and some oat readigrass I bought as a treat) I think it's best we see how he goes. At the moment he's a little stressed from the visit but he's been eating hay since we've been in and this morning he virtually took my fingers off eating pellets :shock:
He's got some ranitidine to keep him going but he's being seen again on the 8th by my normal rabbit vet for his myxo/rhd1 vaccination so assuming he doesn't go down again before that I'll ask her to have a look and see if she thinks they're going to need doing or not. But for the moment at least everything's looking good and he's eating a lot (as well as leaving a lot :roll:)

The locum vet was excellent and I got the impression she knew a lot about rabbits. She was very thorough and was happy with how he's been doing. She looked at his mouth and said actually she didn't think they needed doing. She said the tops are fine, the bottoms have some vertical spurs but that they're not too bad (which is different to what we were told yesterday) but that she wasn't keen to do a dental as he'd obviously been ill yesterday and she said it would be putting him under for 'basically nothing'. Going on how well he's been going through food overnight and this morning (including massive amounts of hay and some oat readigrass I bought as a treat) I think it's best we see how he goes. At the moment he's a little stressed from the visit but he's been eating hay since we've been in and this morning he virtually took my fingers off eating pellets :shock:
He's got some ranitidine to keep him going but he's being seen again on the 8th by my normal rabbit vet for his myxo/rhd1 vaccination so assuming he doesn't go down again before that I'll ask her to have a look and see if she thinks they're going to need doing or not. But for the moment at least everything's looking good and he's eating a lot (as well as leaving a lot :roll:)

Great news, I hope that his output is looking good too xx

Rabbits are so difficult aren't they? :roll:

With spurs, some rabbits can tolerate a lot of discomfort in their mouth and not complain, and others can't bear anything. I am glad that he's doing well and will get another check over soon.

Such a shame they can't have a local dental anaesthetic like we do :)

This seems a very sensible result :D I hope that Cody continues to have good in and output :)

Back