• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

grooming a rex?

binkyCodie

Mama Doe
what is the best item others of you have found to groom a rex?

Luna has decided to start moulting..terribly. I've always just make my hands damp and the fur just comes with it but I know that isn't the best way to do it. I feel like I've tried everything but nothing really seems to get the fur out.. most things seem to have a too wide of a gap between the teeth or just glide through the fur without taking anything with it.

I've tried doing some research but I've gotten so much mixed feedback - "don't brush a rex, rabbits don't like brushing, do brush a rex, do use a cloth, don't use a cloth, only use this type of cloth, don't use your hands, do use your hands" :roll:

I have used a human head lice comb in the past, is that okay to use or no? I don't push down, just through the fur. she doesn't seem to mind and it does rid of the loose fur which is ultimately what I want!!

note: when using my damp hands, she isn't wet and is literally just damp, I dry her off anyway and offer a heat pad so she doesn't get cold.

Luna has decided to start moulting..terribly. I've always just make my hands damp and the fur just comes with it but I know that isn't the best way to do it. I feel like I've tried everything but nothing really seems to get the fur out.. most things seem to have a too wide of a gap between the teeth or just glide through the fur without taking anything with it.

I've tried doing some research but I've gotten so much mixed feedback - "don't brush a rex, rabbits don't like brushing, do brush a rex, do use a cloth, don't use a cloth, only use this type of cloth, don't use your hands, do use your hands" :roll:

I have used a human head lice comb in the past, is that okay to use or no? I don't push down, just through the fur. she doesn't seem to mind and it does rid of the loose fur which is ultimately what I want!!

note: when using my damp hands, she isn't wet and is literally just damp, I dry her off anyway and offer a heat pad so she doesn't get cold.

I gently pluck the lose fur and then run my damp hands over the coat. I also use a round toothed comb. Brushes are all useless and things like Furminators are not suitable to use on any Rabbit (IMO)

Rabbits001.jpg

Rabbits006-1.jpg

I do the same as Jane, Clementine is molting currently and seems to have a skirt that always needs attention, I just pluck it out (obviously it's not attached just comes straight out) I haven't yet found any brush that helps :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

My goodness, Jane! Is that how rexes are supposed to moult?! :shock: Maple never had anything like that. She shed fur but never as much as any of the other rabbits and certainly nothing like that!
Is that Brian in the pictures? He was a truly stunning bunny :love:
Luna looks absolutely stunning as well! :love:

Jane is far more experienced than me by miles but I would second the warning against the furminator. This thread was why and it's always stuck with me: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?358967-WARNING-FURMINATOR-users-U-D-19-10-2012
A shame as I used to use a furminator (a bigger one :lol:) on my german shepherd and it worked wonders on his coat. But I think rabbits skin is just too delicate to risk it.
To be honest in my (limited) personal experience no tool seems to work as well as just hands. I've got all different coat types and the only ones that brushing make any difference to at all are Honey (long coat, possibly an angora cross), Snowflake (lionhead, and really only her mane and 'skirt') and Lunar (when she feels like being a lionhead as she doesn't always have a mane :lol:)
For them I use a flea comb (same sort of thing as a lice comb I think) and that works the best but all other brushes and combs I've tried have had limited results. Best thing is to simply pluck (goodness that sounds terrible :lol:) gently at loose fur. Slightly damp hands do work very well and most rabbits seem to really enjoy it if your hands are very slightly damp. Obviously you don't want to get them wet as such but very slightly damp is fine :)
If you're 'plucking' at loose clumps always start by stroking from the head and work your way gently towards the loose fur. If you just touch a rabbit on the back you'll make her jump and possibly get a good thump or growl depending on the bunny :p With every touch always start at the head and she should be happier about it. Just be really gentle about the whole process and you should be fine :D

What I've done in the past with grooming rexes is to use a damp hand initially. Your idea of a fine toothed comb is also good :D

Yes, I agree, most combs will not do anything at all. You can get grooming combs that are fine toothed, and don't break like the plastic ones - I have a couple of those.

hmm okay, thank you all!! I got so much mixed feedback that it felt like damp hands were a no-no!

I wouldn't ever use a furminator, I've seen too many horror stories on dogs and rabbits. I don't think she would tolerate it anyway and she loves to play with the comb as it is :lol:

Jane - that's a beautiful bunny!!! I've not had a moult like that but Luna's coat is a bit funny. Snoopy had moults where he would get shapes on him. I wasn't really sure as I groomed him once (along with pulling out the loose fur) and his bottom was a lot less fluffy, looked like the bunny in the picture. I thought I over did it and brushed him bare :oops: I realise now though that it was just his summer coat and it was okay, but I was in full panic mode to say the least.

ILoveMyBunny - thank you for the explanation!! I'll make sure to follow what you said about touching. she's a bit jumpy some days but it does many sense, I never really considered it if I'm honest. the flea comb is probably almost the same. I did buy one but the gap was too big and just glided over her coat. I find the plastic lice combs are really affective.

MM - I've not found metal ones to work really :( is the risk of a plastic one snapping high? the metal ones just glide over her fur and don't collect any of it. I think its because her fur is damaged after being bathed so much? on Snoop's coat they seemed to help but Luna just blinks at me as if to say "really?"

I had a nice 30 minute grooming session last night, I'm so proud of her. usually I have to burrito her as she really hates grooming, but she sat still most of the time! she did wander around so I could get another angle, and my boyfriend helped out. he brought a blanket with us - "she can angrily dig the blanket while you groom her". I only stopped grooming as my arm hurt, I think Luna wanted more as she still sat there waiting!

I found making her coat a little damp helped the fur clump and it didn't fly everywhere as much. a lot more came out actually, I created a brand new bunny last night, I've named her fluffy ;)

I think she just thought it was a fun pampering session. today its grooming and nail clipping, she's going to love this :lol:

Back