• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Separation ethics

hoppetylop

Mama Doe
I wonder if anyone can advise me.

I have another active thread in Behaviour and Bonding about bonding my quad.Sorry for some reason my pc wont let me do a link.

I have been bonding a quad and need to remove one of the rabbits to leave a trio.In the mix I have 2 sisters who were previously bonded before and 2 separate males.The males both love the sisters but one is bullying the other male quite badly.Im thinking of removing the "bully" James as after weeks the bullying has continued but he is bonded with the girls as is the other male.

This seems like its in the wrong section but its turned into an ethics issue.Im finding it difficult to remove James knowing that he has bonded with the girls.Im worrying about this so much.Please advise if you can.I would rebond James with another rabbit of course but Im struggling with this decision.

Thankyou.x

Very difficult to advise. If it was me I'd remove whichever boy would leave the most solid trio remaining. I think if I can recall from your other thread you almost have a trio and a single? In which case personally if it was me I'd remove the single, so that the other 3 can get along better and the other boy can have a new partner specially selected to suit him.

I know it's hard but you are thinking about the long term well being of them all :thumb:

I understand totally what you mean Zoobec.The only thing is, this is Cosmos,the other rabbits first bond and he is thrilled with any attention he gets from the girls and being abit socially awkward they are being very good with his approaches to them.He is besotted.I feel that in the long run James would cope better with moving into a new situation as well.Cosmos has lead a very sheltered life before he came to me afew weeks ago whereas James is made of stronger stuff.I think if I removed James the girls would include Cosmos as a trio as was the situation when the bonding began.

I will think about your thoughts though.Thankyou Zoobec

Last edited:
It's really tricky isn't it :-/ Has the dynamic between the girls changed at all? If all is well with everyone apart from between the two boys, my first gut instinct would be to split them into two male/female pairs rather than leave a trio and a single. If the girls each have a new pal they probably won't miss each other in the same way as if you were just splitting them up without a companion.

If you are going to take a boy out, I think I would leave the bully in with the girls if the three of those are very good together, because it will probably be harder to rebond him if he's quite particular about who he goes to...and for the one being bullied, being taken out of that situation will probably be such a relief that he'll be happy to relax for a while, before you work out what to do next.

I wonder if anyone can advise me.

I have another active thread in Behaviour and Bonding about bonding my quad.Sorry for some reason my pc wont let me do a link.

I have been bonding a quad and need to remove one of the rabbits to leave a trio.In the mix I have 2 sisters who were previously bonded before and 2 separate males.The males both love the sisters but one is bullying the other male quite badly.Im thinking of removing the "bully" James as after weeks the bullying has continued but he is bonded with the girls as is the other male.

This seems like its in the wrong section but its turned into an ethics issue.Im finding it difficult to remove James knowing that he has bonded with the girls.Im worrying about this so much.Please advise if you can.I would rebond James with another rabbit of course but Im struggling with this decision.

Thankyou.x

Oh, this is difficult, isn't it?

A bully is usually on the defensive, as he feels threatened. If you don't think time will make any difference, then it's a matter of logistics. Can you cope with having five rabbits if you left the three and then had to rebond James with other girl?

If four is more manageable cost/space.etc - wise, I would also consider cutting my losses, and pairing each female up with a male, but that depends on how you view the bond between the two girls.

The girls are very close and move around together all the time as I believe they have lived together since birth.That's why my option really is to remove a boy and get the other rebonded as 5 rabbits wouldn't be a problem.Otherwise I would definitely divide into 2 male/female pairs as Cosmos is more comfortable with Ivy,the quieter female and Lily and James are often together.The girls like Cosmos but if they go over to him or Cosmos approaches them,James chases him away.When they are with Cosmos though he totally melts and tooth purrs continuously.Hes so submissive and unassuming with all of them that I don't know why James feels threatened.I guess he envies their friendship.If he could just see Cosmos as a friend.I sort of feel Cosmos deserves a chance with the girls if that makes sense.
Im "humanising"this though I think.Whichever one I remove I will feel so guilty.:cry

I need to get a grip:lol:

Last edited:
Looking at it from a different perspective, maybe Cosmos would be better off with a hand picked girl friend, so they can be devoted to each other? And if the girls are ok with James then it seems a shame to split that trio up.

It is very hard though. I was in a similar situation with my goats recently!

I would go with what you feel. Leave Cosmos in with the girls and find James a new friend.

Good luck. Keep us posted!

THANKYOU everyone for your thoughts.:)Im going to observe today and decide what Im going to do.

Good luck with it all. I know it will be hard and it’s very difficult to know what to do, or for anyone to advise who can’t see what is going on xx

I don't envy you! It seems like both boys would make a happy trio with the sisters. If James or Cosmos is likely to be easier to bond to a new partner then maybe thats one conideration as is how the single bun would cope in the interim. You'll feel better once that decision is made I bet but it'll be a struggle to get there ie: choose between them. That said I'm sure you'll make the right choice & everybun which will be happier in the long run

Back