• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update on Lillian bun

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
Hello & merry xmas to you all and your buns and I hope the new year is good for you.
Thought you'd all like to know how Lillian is following her vet check this morning after her spay op. And there's some rather interesting news that I would welcome any and all your valued feedback on. The vet nurse said that her op wound is looking very very good and she is very pleased with Lillians recovery. She is looking very healthy and no concerns at all.
Now, Lillian is not the easiest of buns to handle. In fact, it's like trying to put an octopus in a string bag. The vet hinted that she was a bit 'feisty pre op at the vets and clearly Lillians not a fan of the vets. Now, she's been having lots of cuddle time in the evenings with us and appears to be calming down a little. More trusting certainly. Indeed, even at the vets she wasn't too objective to being held.
Now for the interesting bit. A few weeks after we'd adopted her, Lillian would spend part of the day time in the outdoor hutch that was the home of Ben & Georgina (both had gone over the bridge by then). My wife was cleaning out the bed compartment one afternoon and discovered a pile of white/grey fur in the straw. On further inspection, there seemed to be some blood mixed in with the straw. Lillian at the time had no visible wound or showed signs of discharge.
We've discussed this with the vet today as all of this was before she was spayed.
The vet suggested that Lillian might have suffered a phantom pregnancy or possible abortion - hence the nesting material and blood. It was suggested that Lillian may have consumed any babies as they may not have been formed. Obviously this was quite a shock to me, but as we drove back from the vet, things suddenly began to make sense. Now, I might be putting two and two together here, hence my asking for feedback.
If Lillian was pregnant when we got her, then I am assuming that if she would be much more defensive and protective of herself - as she would be wanting to protect her babies. This would therefore explain her extreme reaction when being held or picked up. Might also explain the difficulties she had when we tried to introduce her to Ben - wouldn't it? Would she perceive the advances of a male as a threat?
Because she was amaciated and malnourished (deliberately) from her former owner, if Lillian was pregnant, then her body would be consuming all her energy and nutrients from any small amount of food she had. And if she aborted, she would naturally see the benefits from consuming that as it would full of protein.
Does any of this make sense with anyone or am I jumping to wrong conclusions?
Lillian is definately making progress with us now, and is slowly trusting us. The spay will prevent many possible issues as she grows and once her hormones have subsided (about 4 more weeks from now) she may (or may not) calm down more.
It's certainly a bit of a story and one we were not quite prepared for but circumstancially, this does explain alot - if this is the case.
Has anyone got any views on this. Thanks

Gosh I have no advise for you but just wanted to say that I am so glad Lilian has you to care for her now, what horrors she has been through with her previous owners.

That does make sense.We can only assume of course.Im very glad she has at last found a good home and has the chance to be happy.Her future is in good hands.:D

I was told by the rescue that my doe, who died 7/11/17, had previously been with a breeder. Whilst she was with the breeder she had apparently eaten her kits. I don't know the details i.e. how many litters and whether the kits were full-term, but I had assumed that she had done this because of stress. Soon after she arrived at the rescue she produced two kits, which she cared for and I adopted them also.

I'm sure that Lillian will continue to develop in a positive way now that she knows she is safe and well cared for.

I was told by the rescue that my doe, who died 7/11/17, had previously been with a breeder. Whilst she was with the breeder she had apparently eaten her kits. I don't know the details i.e. how many litters and whether the kits were full-term, but I had assumed that she had done this because of stress. Soon after she arrived at the rescue she produced two kits, which she cared for and I adopted them also.

I'm sure that Lillian will continue to develop in a positive way now that she knows she is safe and well cared for.
Gosh Omi,your poor little doe.:shock:Im so glad she found her way to you and found peace and safety.

Back