• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do You Compost Your Rabbit Waste?

Beapig

Mama Doe
Every day I clean out half a carrier bag of bunny poop, dirty hay/straw and wee soaked Back 2 Nature litter pellets. Right now it just goes in a bin liner, which I feel awful about, especially as that means a carrier bag in the bin every day.

Does anyone here compost their rabbit waste, and is the above all okay to go in the compost bin? If so I intend on purchasing one asap to reduce my waste.

I compost mine but it’s on a muck heap along with the goat bedding and poops :thumb:

The council composts mine. Bunny waste goes in the green garden waste bin - its fab (& also very stinky I noticed today)

Every day I clean out half a carrier bag of bunny poop, dirty hay/straw and wee soaked Back 2 Nature litter pellets. Right now it just goes in a bin liner, which I feel awful about, especially as that means a carrier bag in the bin every day.

Does anyone here compost their rabbit waste, and is the above all okay to go in the compost bin? If so I intend on purchasing one asap to reduce my waste.

Yes, always, all of it :D

The council composts mine. Bunny waste goes in the green garden waste bin - its fab (& also very stinky I noticed today)

Do you know if this is a nationwide thing joey&boo? I live in Wales and we have a green garden waste bin, but I assumed it was just for moved grass and plant cuttings?

Do you know if this is a nationwide thing joey&boo? I live in Wales and we have a green garden waste bin, but I assumed it was just for moved grass and plant cuttings?[/QUOT

I think councils vary as to what they'll take. Should say on the website. I hope yours do - its so convenient. I don't even have a garden

Our council will not allow any animal waste or bedding in with the green recycling - so that includes hay and straw. You need to check what your council will allow.

Bunny waste makes excellent compost. Ours goes to the allotment as we have bigger compost areas there which give a better mix of greens and browns, and it can retain a higher temperature to rot down faster. We bin the newspaper as it tends to encourage rats, but we have composted it all before.

Our council allows animal bedding (straw, carefresh etc) in the brown bin, along with food waste. If they didn't, I'd have a very large compost pile!

Our council don’t accept it in any bin except general waste, which does irritate me as it could be composted. I don’t compost it myself as I don’t have any use for it so it all goes to landfill :(

Our council take it, we pay for a license for £30 a year which is quite a bargain compared to petrol we would pay to take it to the dump. Although the quality materials I'm giving them they should be paying me really :lol: the service is still suspended until next year though after the bad weather. Might have to get my son to jump in the bin to squash it down soon!

I didn't get on well with composting. Freaky red worms decided to live round the rim of the lid and when I took the lid off they quickly clumped into a ball together and rolled down the side. I had to give it up!

Currently at my parents I bin it, as apparently I filled up the compost heap... So I had to stop, and the green bin apparently isn't for animal waste... Also apparently the council will get suspicious as to all our black bags and investigate.... This is all according to my dad so I have to take all rabbit waste round to my house even though no one is living there and put bunny waste out for collection there.... To me this is all insanity but is what it is I guess for now [emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I put all mine in the compost bin, I have 2 very full bins. I even include the newspaper and it all rots down. Every now and then I bag the compost from the bottom for my Mum who loves it for the garden. My council won't take any animal waste so sometimes I can't fit it all in and do have to throw it away. The red worms are great as they help to compost it all, even though I'm not that keen on the clumps of them falling off when I open the rim... bleurgh!
I do have an allotment but may have to give it up due to lack of time 😒. I take a lot of it there too.

Our council take it, we pay for a license for £30 a year which is quite a bargain compared to petrol we would pay to take it to the dump. Although the quality materials I'm giving them they should be paying me really :lol: the service is still suspended until next year though after the bad weather. Might have to get my son to jump in the bin to squash it down soon!

I didn't get on well with composting. Freaky red worms decided to live round the rim of the lid and when I took the lid off they quickly clumped into a ball together and rolled down the side. I had to give it up!

Those red worms are your compost makers,there's many kind of worms.

I put all mine in the compost bin, I have 2 very full bins. I even include the newspaper and it all rots down. Every now and then I bag the compost from the bottom for my Mum who loves it for the garden. My council won't take any animal waste so sometimes I can't fit it all in and do have to throw it away. The red worms are great as they help to compost it all, even though I'm not that keen on the clumps of them falling off when I open the rim... bleurgh!
I do have an allotment but may have to give it up due to lack of time ��. I take a lot of it there too.

You can buy the red worms online with your compost bins - they are the unpaid workers of the bin! :D

We have a brown bin for garden waste which I pay £30 a year for - a bit wasted during winter so I've started using it for rabbit waste stuff...wasn't sure it would be accepted but they seem fine with it. I just tip the litter trays straight into it then empty the bags of the mess from their pens into it...was doing Bobo at 5.30am this morning actually :lol:

I have to put my rabbit and guinea pig waste into the general rubbish bin as the council wont accept animal waste in the garden waste bin.

Do you know if this is a nationwide thing joey&boo? I live in Wales and we have a green garden waste bin, but I assumed it was just for moved grass and plant cuttings?

Where about's in wales are you, my mum and dad live in Powys and they use the green bin for bunny waste, which is normally a mixture of hay and poop! :thumb:

I would have thought,hay and bunny poop would be ok to compost,maybe animal waste they don't want is cat litter,dog poo etc

I would have thought,hay and bunny poop would be ok to compost,maybe animal waste they don't want is cat litter,dog poo etc

Our council specify no animal waste at all - even though bunny / G Pig waste are not a health hazard (vs cat / dog waste) and are highly compostable. They will stop collecting if you try to put hay etc in. We can't put it in with the garden waste at the main depot, either. They really do mean absolutely NO animal waste.

Back