• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Moult

If there's a designated time for it my lot haven't heard of it :lol: I think it depends on things like weather conditions etc. I remember reading that they shed twice a year a long time back but mine have never stuck to that. Then again mine are indoors and I imagine it's more variable for indoor rabbits.
They'll generally get a shorter summer coat and a longer winter coat but I find mine do it when it suits them :roll: And rarely ever at the exact same time. Snowflake seems to always be changing her coat and always has an interesting moult line than changes all the time. Her colouring varies a lot depending on it too. Willow used to be the same.
Interestingly Maple never really had a proper moult. She shed as all rabbits do but never badly.
Several of mine are moulting at the moment (Pixel just started and Snowflake and Lunar both have been for a while) but some aren't (Jazzie isn't for example)
I wouldn't worry if one has but the other hasn't yet. He probably will soon :)

Edit: Oh, just found this. Might be helpful :D https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/moulting/

Last edited:
If there's a designated time for it my lot haven't heard of it :lol: I think it depends on things like weather conditions etc. I remember reading that they shed twice a year a long time back but mine have never stuck to that. Then again mine are indoors and I imagine it's more variable for indoor rabbits.
They'll generally get a shorter summer coat and a longer winter coat but I find mine do it when it suits them :roll: And rarely ever at the exact same time. Snowflake seems to always be changing her coat and always has an interesting moult line than changes all the time. Her colouring varies a lot depending on it too. Willow used to be the same.
Interestingly Maple never really had a proper moult. She shed as all rabbits do but never badly.
Several of mine are moulting at the moment (Pixel just started and Snowflake and Lunar both have been for a while) but some aren't (Jazzie isn't for example)
I wouldn't worry if one has but the other hasn't yet. He probably will soon :)

Edit: Oh, just found this. Might be helpful :D https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/moulting/

perfect reply. Boo moults permanently, I think Joey may do the twice a year thing & Mouse doesn't really do anything responsible. I love moult lines. especially on agoutis

perfect reply. Boo moults permanently, I think Joey may do the twice a year thing & Mouse doesn't really do anything responsible. I love moult lines. especially on agoutis

weird freudian slip ? :lol: I meant to write noticeable

As Dillon does not seem to be moulting I am trying to help out by brushing his fur. I am really concerned that the condition is thin and I think pulling on his skin. I tried with a baby brush but that did not seem to do anything, a stripping comb is too harsh, and a rubber glove is he does not like. Please has anyone any ideas. I am sure the dreadlock bit is pulling on his skin and after all he has been I want him to be comfy.

This is the photo of the fur brushed out.

20171227_114522[1] by Ra Greenwood, on Flickr

As Dillon does not seem to be moulting I am trying to help out by brushing his fur. I am really concerned that the condition is thin and I think pulling on his skin. I tried with a baby brush but that did not seem to do anything, a stripping comb is too harsh, and a rubber glove is he does not like. Please has anyone any ideas. I am sure the dreadlock bit is pulling on his skin and after all he has been I want him to be comfy.

This is the photo of the fur brushed out.

20171227_114522[1] by Ra Greenwood, on Flickr

I usually try and break the mat apart by using the end of a cat moulting comb:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rosewood-P...=1514377073&sr=8-2&keywords=cat+moulting+comb

If you use the tip, it sometimes brings out a little mat without causing distress.

Or you could clip the fur a bit, so the mat is more obvious and easier to break apart?

Thank you MightyMax I have one of those combs. I will try him with that at playtime tomorrow. The biggest mats are on his thighs and there is no way at the moment I can clip them, gently use of the moulting brush is where I am going to start. Dillon is still not a bunny to be handled on anything but his own terms. ( his terms this morning was sitting on my chest to check my hair with his paw on my nose) :)

Back