• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Harnesses

elliedc0

New Kit
Hi guys, I hope no one thinks this is a silly question, but I was wondering, as dogs wear collars with tags on, can rabbits wear harnesses with tags on? my two bunnies live out doors (in an insulated, heated hutch) and although they are both chipped i was wondering if this would be an option? when i was a kid we had two rabbits and one of them chewed through the hutch one night and escaped and we never saw her again, and id be absolutely heart broken if this happened to my two!

It's not recommended due to the rabbits anatomy. You can get lots of issues especially if something scares them and the harness or collar gets caught on something.

The best thing you can do is check their enclosure twice daily for signs of ware, keep the garden secure to prevent them getting out the garden if they happen to escape but they're unlikely to chew through an insulated shed/hutch especially if they have an attached run at all times. :)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

The best thing you can do is make sure that their living area is secure. For example, the hutch could be inside a fully meshed (weldmesh, not chicken wire) aviary type run, with either a meshed floor or concrete / paving slabs so they can't dig out. Not only will they be secure from escaping, but will be safer from predators (cats, dogs, birds of prey, foxes, people). Lockable fasteners on all doors are also a good idea.

Harnesses or collars are not suitable for rabbits for general use in their normal environment. They are likely to chew them off, plus they could actually be dangerous if they get caught on anything. Rabbits spook really easily and the stress of either wearing anything or getting snagged can have severe consequences. Microchips are an excellent idea, but preventing an escape in the first place is the ideal option.

I didnt think it would be, thank you for youre advice, i do check it very often as i do get paranoid (Oscar is always doing stuff he shouldnt be) :roll:

Back