• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do I need a vet?

Rabbitnovice

Young Bun
Hi, my rabbit has been off her food. She ate normally until yesterday lunchtime. She has been eating little bits of fruit and veg but she’s usually really greedy and eats everything she’s offered. I rang the vet this morning and she suggested I get some rabbit recovery powder stuff from Pets at Home. I did that and made up half the sachet. She has had a bit of that, licking it off our fingers, and has just eaten a teeny bit of the very expensive hay I bought to tempt her with.
She is moving about ok and her teeth look ok. Not sure if she’s had a drink.
Is the hay eating a sign she’s getting better? She’s hidden in her house most of the day.
Will we definitely need a vet or can rabbits recover without medicine?

Hi, my rabbit has been off her food. She ate normally until yesterday lunchtime. She has been eating little bits of fruit and veg but she’s usually really greedy and eats everything she’s offered. I rang the vet this morning and she suggested I get some rabbit recovery powder stuff from Pets at Home. I did that and made up half the sachet. She has had a bit of that, licking it off our fingers, and has just eaten a teeny bit of the very expensive hay I bought to tempt her with.
Is the hay eating a sign she’s getting better? She’s hidden in her house most of the day.

Has she had any poo output ?

Personally if she has been inappetant for over 24 hours with no improvement I would want her examined by a Vet ASAP. This being especially important if the poo output is significantly reduced.

It sounds as though gut stasis may be an issue and this always needs prompt Veterinary attention. Can you contact the Vet again this evening ? At the very least your Rabbit may need some pain relief, a Rabbit in pain (regardless of the cause) will not eat.

Some info here :

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Hi there :wave:

In my view, a rabbit that doesn't eat after a 12 hour period (assuming you feed roughly twice daily?) should have medical attention.

You can use Infacol:

Infacol.co.uk

It's an infant gas meds that helps them to pass the gas in their tummy, which frequently stops them from wanting to eat once they stop. It can often mean you don't have to take your rabbit to the emergency vet, which can be costly and they may not have the rabbit experience you require.

There's some info on stasis here here:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf

If Infacol and gentle tummy rubs don't do the job (and I find it works in about half an hour) then definitely see a vet.
Better to be safe than sorry!

Thanks for replying. She’s just had another little hop around and has had some more hay. Not the amount she’d usually eat but a bit. Hope she’s ok.

She’s just eaten quite a lot of hay. Her poos are still small though. Should I continue with the recovery stuff as well?

If she's not eating full time on her own, then yes, I would continue with the recovery food.

Mine aren't terribly fond of recovery food, so I usually mix it in with a bit of organic baby food (Ella's Kitchen is a good brand :))

Back