• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fleas! Oh Crud!

Have lost access to my old account so this is account 2.0!

Just got back from the petshop this evening after being out all day, let Aesop* out and gave him a fuss, he was very happy and flopped out, was giving him a check over when I saw movement and swiped out a little black bug, my partner consulted and said that it was indeed a flea!
Have unsuccessfully tried to get a flea comb but its too late in the day so have a little brush and have been going through his fur for about an hour, can find hardly any signs of fleas apart from a little big of debris on his back to the right, but no more bugs and very few of these flakey bits.
His water bowl has had no drowned fleas in and he's not been outside for quite a while as the weather has been bad (No idea where they came from!!).

Now here is the trickey part, I am going to see a relative on Sunday morning and returning Tuesday, he has a sitter coming to take care of him and then bright and early Wednesday morning we are all (Bunny, the other half and I - a regular thing, Aesop quite enjoys travelling, strange rabbit) going back to see our family for Christmas for three weeks so:
A) I have tomorrow to try and sort this out
B) I have no idea if our vet will have any space as they are very busy and its very last minute and near Christmas
C) Am concerned about leaving the flat with fleas in it for such a long time

Am really looking for some advice on what to do here as this has happened at the most difficult time possible!

*Aesop is a dwarf lop, 2yrs old, very chill and carefree. Hardly any itching really... He's an indoor rabbit with his own little room, but has freedom of half the house while we are in.

Can you not get flea treatment over the vet counter without having to consult the vets? Our vet is open till late in the evening - maybe yours will offer out of hours service.

Just got back from the petshop this evening after being out all day, let Aesop* out and gave him a fuss, he was very happy and flopped out, was giving him a check over when I saw movement and swiped out a little black bug, my partner consulted and said that it was indeed a flea!
Have unsuccessfully tried to get a flea comb but its too late in the day so have a little brush and have been going through his fur for about an hour, can find hardly any signs of fleas apart from a little big of debris on his back to the right, but no more bugs and very few of these flakey bits.
His water bowl has had no drowned fleas in and he's not been outside for quite a while as the weather has been bad (No idea where they came from!!).

Now here is the trickey part, I am going to see a relative on Sunday morning and returning Tuesday, he has a sitter coming to take care of him and then bright and early Wednesday morning we are all (Bunny, the other half and I - a regular thing, Aesop quite enjoys travelling, strange rabbit) going back to see our family for Christmas for three weeks so:
B) I have no idea if our vet will have any space as they are very busy and its very last minute and near Christmas

Am really looking for some advice on what to do here as this has happened at the most difficult time possible!

*Aesop is a dwarf lop, 2yrs old, very chill and carefree. Hardly any itching really... He's an indoor rabbit with his own little room, but has freedom of half the house while we are in.

Hi there :wave:

You can easily get Advantage for rabbits (which is the flea treatment) but I would look in on your vet if you can, to confirm.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/merch-groups/advantage

You could get some spray to treat the house just in case - have a good vacuum round and use it just before you go away (ie as you walk out of the door) and let it do its stuff while you are all out for a few days, then it will be all clear when you get back. A flea or nit comb may be enough to sort out any little visitors on Aesop - use daily and be prepared to squash any fleas you find. It may just be a random flea, but at this time of year the heating goes on and the fleas hatch out in all the crevices.

I'd do as others have said and get a flea treatment for your bunny :)

You'll have to look if it's pet safe but these are effective - I bought a house that previously had lots of cats living there and whilst I was stripping it out and smashing it to pieces all the fleas hatched (was this summer when it got really hot) then they had no food source, so started biting me - was grim. Those fogger were the most effective thing though I tried a few different ones. Best thing is vacuuming then put one in the room :)

http://www.petsathome.com/webapp/wc...7jPo1hbbu-OPbFmTeEhoCeWIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

They really are ******* to get rid of, I'm normally miss natural and hate using chemicals. Maybe it was the severity of the infestation at the house... I wasn't going lightly on them. But in any case there's no fleas there now haha :) xx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

We had this last year, we have people who come and go at our house and I reckon one had brought the fleas in with them. It's horrid, makes your skin crawl!

Vet recommended we flea treat the bunnies twice, I think it was a month apart, and get a spray for the house. One spray is supposed to do a two bedroom house, I went through five! :oops: was a bit overzealous. I decided to do it every year around October time to be sure they can’t be bought in again, it’s supposed to kill them as soon as they hatch and lasts for a year, and this year one can was enough. :thumb:

It's this stuff, comes recommended from my rabbit savvy vets, my bunnies and me!

Indorex Flea Spray - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GKHI2PW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ZFqnAbNCB2WW7

Back