• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adopting Older Buns - Update: Reserved!

hoppin_mad

Young Bun
I need some advice from some like minded people.

Since losing my rabbits, I have been looking for a bonded pair of older rabbits to adopt. I have just been to visit a bonded pair of 7 year old bunnies at my local rescue. They were handed into the rescue 2 months ago after the daughter went to university and the parents weren't interested in caring from them.

They are both vaccinated, neutered and generally in good health. The rescue had some concerns over one of them because they have lost a bit of weight, but he was vet checked and they couldn't find anything wrong with him. The vet seems to think his weight loss is due to the fact he is elderly and being kept in an outdoor enclosure.

This is a heartbreaking situation for these two bunnies and its created a real head/heart dilemma for me. On the one hand, I can offer them a loving, warm free range indoor retirement. However, I have concerns over the potential health costs involved secondary to their age and the fact that pet plan won't insure them.

I'm just struggling because the reasons for not adopting them seem selfish and I feel that if I don't offer them a home, they will end their life in a rescue after being a beloved pet for such a long time :(

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Taking into account the financial side of things isn't selfish. It's also an important part to consider when rehoming older animals as when they get ill, you will need to be able to afford any and all treatment easily. Not being able to do so would effect their life with you.

I also have the same trouble you're having. I find older pets in rescues that have been there for a while (often years in my case) and I end up wanting to take them in but knowing I can't due to finances. Often they soon go on to a new home after I've been looking.

Many people I've met would prefer to rescue older animals. They're seen as undesirable in many people's eyes so they quickly get rehomed as people think they'll be stuck there for ages.

It's a lovely thing to consider and by no means are you being selfish x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Obviously, the possible financial implication can't be ignored and you would need to be able to have a 'rabbit fund' bank account or be able to put it on a credit card. I would go for it - but I love older bunnies, and seven isn't old by any means these days.

This is a difficult decision to make. On the one hand any rabbit can incur large vet bills, but of course it is probably more likely that the older the rabbit is, the more likely this will be. If it's a problem with insurance, it might be worth investigating the company that Zoobec has provided a link for. It's not selfish to consider the financial aspect. It's perfectly sensible.

Concerning the rabbit in the rescue, which has lost weight, I think it is perfectly possible that this is due to it's age plus living outside. It's also encouraging that this rabbit has had a check over by a vet, who can't find any health problems.

Obviously, the possible financial implication can't be ignored and you would need to be able to have a 'rabbit fund' bank account or be able to put it on a credit card. I would go for it - but I love older bunnies, and seven isn't old by any means these days.

This is very much my thinking. Insurance for the two of them would probably cost £30-40 a month which I can afford to put aside for emergencies (as long as nothing happens within the first month!). I do have savings though and credit cards are another option.

The rescue aren’t asking for any donation for them because of their age however I would give them something to cover the cost of their care to date.

I’m not sure I’m going to be able to sleep tonight thinking about them out in the cold!

I think we need to see a pic!
I'm a lost cause already and would be on the phone .....
When I have been undecided about a cat or rabbit, I've thought about it, thought about it some more, and then gone for it ... and have never regretted it.

Depends on your outlook I guess, too. I adopted two nine year olds a few months ago. Years ago if bunnies have been poorly, I’ve spent thousands and put them through alsorts of treatments to prolong their lives. Nowadays I am much more realistic, and whilst money wouldn’t ever be a factor, I know that if any of my rabbits now were to get ill, I wouldn’t go to those sorts of lengths unless there was a real chance of full recovery. I certainly haven’t regretted getting these two, it’s a definite warm fuzzy feeling knowing that this is where they will spend their final days - loved and taken care of. Go for it :smile:

Off to spend some more time with them this afternoon (with fenugreek crunchies in hand) and then I’ll make my final decision!

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post!

Off to spend some more time with them this afternoon (with fenugreek crunchies in hand) and then I’ll make my final decision!

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post!

Good luck with your visit - hope it helps you in reaching a decision.
Dare I hope it's a :love:

Depends on your outlook I guess, too. I adopted two nine year olds a few months ago. Years ago if bunnies have been poorly, I’ve spent thousands and put them through alsorts of treatments to prolong their lives. Nowadays I am much more realistic, and whilst money wouldn’t ever be a factor, I know that if any of my rabbits now were to get ill, I wouldn’t go to those sorts of lengths unless there was a real chance of full recovery. I certainly haven’t regretted getting these two, it’s a definite warm fuzzy feeling knowing that this is where they will spend their final days - loved and taken care of. Go for it :smile:

This is exactly what I was going to say, everybody is different but personally, I don't agree with putting elderly buns through long treatment, therefore I think this would keep any vet costs down.

This is exactly what I was going to say, everybody is different but personally, I don't agree with putting elderly buns through long treatment, therefore I think this would keep any vet costs down.

To me much depends on what the 'condition' is and what the treatment involves. I find it very difficult to decide when to give up, because I always hope. I do, however, appreciate what you say.

It's possible that if they've reached that age without having any health problems that they're very healthy and won't really get any problems that require longterm treatment. At least, not the typical recurring issues like dental/stomach/respiratory/sore hock problems etc. I've seen people before say that if a bunny has reached 3-4 years old without any health issues then they're actually less likely to run up high vet bills. I dunno. Just a thought.

So I have taken the plunge and reserved the buns! I am picking them up on Friday morning - so excited!

I spent a good hour with them this afternoon (in the pouring rain and cold) and they are so friendly. They have let me stroke them and give them nose rubs. I could even pick them up for a health check without any trouble.

I am so so pleased that my husband and I are giving these two a second chance! Once I have worked out what photo hosting site I can use (other than photo bucket) I will upload pictures.

So I have taken the plunge and reserved the buns! I am picking them up on Friday morning - so excited!

I spent a good hour with them this afternoon (in the pouring rain and cold) and they are so friendly. They have let me stroke them and give them nose rubs. I could even pick them up for a health check without any trouble.

I am so so pleased that my husband and I are giving these two a second chance! Once I have worked out what photo hosting site I can use (other than photo bucket) I will upload pictures.

How lovely! :love:

Imgur is good for photos - can't wait to see the lucky pair :)

Back