• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

For the Oldies

Toby

Banned
Hey there rabbit lovers, I was wondering if there are any other owners out there that are happily looking after an old aged fluffy? Maybe we should do a thread for the oldies. :wink:

Whats counted as an oldy? And what if you _might_ have an oldy but are not sure (conflicting ages given for bunnie)

Hoppy :love: lived to 7yrs, so not as old as your bunny.

He was my first house bunny, we got him at 8 weeks old as a little black bundle, he went to the rainbow bridge in May this year :( and is missed very much. :bunny:

This is him in Jan '03
hoppyjan03.jpg

Hi

How old is your bunny? Not sure mine would be classed as an oldie, she is only 5 and a bit so perhaps middle aged would be better!!? But I'm hoping she will carry on to be an oldie :) Although vet did describe her as middle-aged to elderly when she went in for her op! Wot a cheek!! :wink:

Nicola

She's beautiful Beck :D

Jay has several older bunnies, common Jay we want bunny stories :D

Tam

7-8 years is a great age for a bunny. Most of my female rabbits never really made it past 6 years because of an illness that ran in the family -- but the males just lived on and on. This is the first time I have ever experienced a rabbit of 12 (Toby) years and a dog of 20 years (Benji) lol.

Wow what a brilliant age for both dog and rabbit :) I'd love it if my girlies lived to that age. The oldest female I've had has been six, unfortunately she was PTS last year.

Nicola

My oldest - Benji, a large lop - is six in a couple of months, and Pippa - a medium lop - is 5 1/2 now. They are both fit and healthy apart from the fact that Pippa finds it hard to keep weight on now... and I hope I will have them a few more years.

Well, I have lots of older buns :D
There is Mr Jingles - he is a 14 year old Netherland Dwarf - he has gone blind in one eye due to glaucoma but other than that he is as fit as a flea - and as active as one as well :? He is continually under your feet and is a joy to watch as he pings up the garden :D I love that boy with every inch of me :oops: :oops:
We have Billy who is 10 1/2 and is absolutely wonderful :D He is a fawny coloured one eared lop :roll: He is another one that is very fit and healthy and has not caused us any problems at all - except for when he first came to us at the age of 8 and humped everything in sight :shock: He got the snip and has been great ever since. He is bonded with Bobby who is 8 years old - they both came to us un-neutered :shock: Bobby is blind through a bad infection that if treated right away would not have got this far :cry: He is a lovely boy and as gentle as a lamb :oops: They are both bonded with a young bit of fluff called Wiggles :lol: She is a 2 year old front toofless Neddie and regards them as her lads :lol: :lol:
We have Sparkles who is 6 1/2 and is a NZW - she was rescued from a lab :x She is beautiful and is very happy and healthy - she is bonded with a toy boy Nici who is 5 1/2 and is a gorgeous white lop who is blind in one eye due to an abscess - this was before we got him.
Sexy is 6, he is a Himalayan and is as sexy as his name :roll: Another healthy boy but on the nervous side with people. He is bonded with Jiffy who is coming up to 5.
Dutchess and Duke are both over 5 - they are Frenchies - they are so wonderful :D Dutchess had to have one of her back legs amputated a few months ago and is doing really well - I have wonderful pictures of her laying upside down grinning :lol: Duke is terminally ill with abscesses in his nasal passages and has gone blind in one eye - other than having daily painkiller he is fine in himself and has been fighting this since January of this year. Duke loves to eat and be snuggled by his old Dutch :roll:
Rhia is a 6 year old German Lop - she too is terminally ill with abscesses in her lungs and nose - she was virtually blind when we got her but has recently undergone surgery to remove her third eyelids and it has made an amazing difference to her :D
Barley Bun is a 7 year old Neddie and has no front teeth - he was badly treated by his former owners and after operations and good care from Bunny Camp he came to us on Easter Sunday - he is our original Easter Bun :roll: :lol: :lol:
Maple is a 6 year old Chincilla lop who is bonded with Mr Jingles - they are stuck like glue those two :roll: Maple has been very poorly with abscesses in her nasal passages and has a huge swelling on her nose at the moment - we are waiting for it to start looking red and angry and then the vet is going to lance it and get the puss all out :shock: Maple is Mum's princess :oops:
We have had so many who have come to us and have now gone to the Rainbow Bridge :cry: :cry: Our beautiful Pebz was 6 1/2 (and took my heart with him), Fern was 7, Little Jack was about 9, Chops was 13, Henry was 7, Violet was 9 1/2, Smudge was 8, Emma was 8 1/2, Douglas, Boots and Alfie where all nearly 9, Peter was 10 - these are all so sadly missed :cry:
It hurts like hell when we lose one - and we always, always miss them - but the whole point of running a Retirement Home is to take in the elderly and disabled - they deserve a life just as much as anyone else. And to be honest - they enrich our lives so very much so we are, infact, the lucky ones :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We have to admit that we love our O.A.B's :love: :love: :love:

AmberUK said:
Beck love the bunnie just said they were gone.

:D Sorry AmberUK just me reading things wrong! :roll:

Jay you've got some old bunnies! Good to read you've got frenchies over 5. :D

Whoa Jaypot congrats on the 14 year old bunny!! I hope Toby makes it to 14. I think he will (fingers crossed) :) He hasn’t got any health problems as yet, his still strong and active so who know. But 14 that’s amazing! Have you noticed gain in character as she/he has aged? I have with Toby.

Back