• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor play pen

Hello,
I am looking for advice from experienced users on the best small playpen to choose for my new mini lop babies. Does anyone have any recommendations/advice, please?
Also, what advice would you give regarding purchase of a rabbit carrying box (for vet visits etc)?
Many, many thanks to all in advance :)

The best pen would be a large one, as large as you can fit in, or better still rabbit proof the room that they are in so they can free range in there. Rabbits need a lot of space - the minimum is equivalent of 6ftx2ft hutch plus 8ft x 6ft run permanently available to them = 60 soft minimum. See the RWAF website for more info.

Fabric ones are chewed through very quickly, puppy pens with bars can be too flexible and the bar spacing too big meaning there is a risk of their heads getting trapped. A few members on here have used the Ellie bo pen https://www.only-dog-cages.co.uk/eb-8pcpen080-ellie-bo-heavy-duty-8-piece-puppy-pen-80cms-high.html as you can buy expansions or attach more together to get the required size. If you have cats or dogs then you do need a pen with a lid to keep the rabbits safe.

A lot of owners on here have the catit cabrio carrier for pairs of rabbits, depends on their size.

A standard hard plastic cat carrier will usually fit 2 small rabbits, although it is often easier to take them to the vet in separate carriers - you can get the one you want out easily and they are more balanced to carry. Have a look at somewhere like Wilkos, or these (one each - not big enough for 2, easy to store and clip together, top or front opening to get bunny out easily):

https://www.petplanet.co.uk/product...6LT7ReIye_7PPXfkk5BMa00S1i7wc3IBoC4j8QAvD_BwE

The minimum recommended run size is 6'x8'. They need space to run around. It should be 3' high so they won't jump straight out / have room to binky. They are best if they have a fixed roof, although a net may be enough. Some rabbits can clear 4'. It also protects them from cats, kids, etc. Anything that can be chewed probably will be. So get a decent quality one with a narrow spacing between the bars so they don't get their heads stuck.

Thank you so very much. Most helpful.
I have a very large hutch (double storey) and a very large outdoor run, so the indoor playpen was just for when the bunnies both come indoors for cuddles. Not after anything really big, therefore, just something that's easy to set up and fold away.....

Just a word of caution. In the winter it is not a good idea to bring outdoor rabbits in and then take them back outside, unless the temperature in your house is the same as outdoors especially as they will be so young. Are they indoors at present. Pets at Home always tell you rabbits can't go outside until the warmer weather, if you buy them in the winter.

Back