• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Water bowl or bottle

Alicia

Mama Doe
Izzy has used both and Beans has only ever had a water bottle. I'm not sure I fully trust the bottles, although I clean it I worry that it will get blocked or break in some way, but I don't want to have to keep changing water bowls because the rabbits have kicked bedding into it or hay or something like that. Which do you use? Beans seems to spend a lot of time at the water bottle and although this may be usual I'm a bit concerned that it might not be working properly although it seems ok if I squeeze it

I used to just have water bottles, but after reading online that drinking from a bowl is much quicker and more natural for them I put bowls in their hutch too to see which they preferred. The bowls I found myself topping up every day, whereas the bottles suddenly stayed full for days on end, so they became redundant really and now I just use bowls.

Specifically, I like the stainless steel 'coop cup' bowls you can get on Amazon, as they attach to the cage to prevent spillages and are very easy to wash out :)

I've used bowls only for years. Seems a lot more natural and if you put them away from bedding or hay then they stay clean mostly

Izzy has used both and Beans has only ever had a water bottle. I'm not sure I fully trust the bottles, although I clean it I worry that it will get blocked or break in some way, but I don't want to have to keep changing water bowls because the rabbits have kicked bedding into it or hay or something like that. Which do you use? Beans seems to spend a lot of time at the water bottle and although this may be usual I'm a bit concerned that it might not be working properly although it seems ok if I squeeze it

You could use both? :)

If you live in a hard water area the bottles with a metal spout can get blocked up with limescale quite quickly. I always use bowls, my pair have an old Pyrex flan dish in their grass run, and they drink out of this much more than the bowl in their 'living' quarters. I change them at least once a day, and scrub them out about twice a week as they get earth and bits of grass in. It's much more natural for them to drink out of bowls, and they need the throughput of water to keep kidneys and bladder healthy. It must be hard work to get a decent drink from a sipper bottle!

Use to use a bowl but because Phoebe is so fluffy she would moult in it all the time. So I've now got them a bottle/bowl from Manor Pet Housing... it's great. Refill it every 2 days (They have a bowl downstairs we change twice daily but they prefer the bottle water).

b9d5316c6f9ece60682cfb31bf19695b.jpg
71acd529edd3b697f177ed27753aa6b7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Use to use a bowl but because Phoebe is so fluffy she would moult in it all the time. So I've now got them a bottle/bowl from Manor Pet Housing... it's great. Refill it every 2 days (They have a bowl downstairs we change twice daily but they prefer the bottle water).

That's amazing DP - I hadn't seen that one. Well worth knowing about :)

Never mind the water thingy ... just look at those ears :love:

Ooh that's a cool drinking device! When mine were in hutches they just had bottles, then in the shed they had bowls, but now they have hutches in the shed, they have both. Bottles attached to the hutch and runs and bowls in the shed bit. I did buy one of those fur plast dog drinking container but they chewed through the top and it lost its vacuum and poured water everywhere (grrr)

Oh, DP, when my bunnies end up coming indoors (I'm assuming it'll be an eventuality!) I'm defiitely getting one of them! And outfitting my house with MPH stuff or at least attemptng my owewn, inspired by it!

CometLucy195, oh how I giggled XD Absolutely something mine would do! Reminds me that this weekend I pulled my new bag of 40 ziplock bags out of the drawer to find the mouse who attempted to live in the house (unsuccessfully: we're too tight on food :lol:) had chewed through it and then 30/40 bags as well! So frustrating, what a waste of plastic!

Oh, DP, when my bunnies end up coming indoors (I'm assuming it'll be an eventuality!) I'm defiitely getting one of them! And outfitting my house with MPH stuff or at least attemptng my owewn, inspired by it!

CometLucy195, oh how I giggled XD Absolutely something mine would do! Reminds me that this weekend I pulled my new bag of 40 ziplock bags out of the drawer to find the mouse who attempted to live in the house (unsuccessfully: we're too tight on food [emoji38]) had chewed through it and then 30/40 bags as well! So frustrating, what a waste of plastic!
One of the dens we have is home made with an old divan bed base & some ply. Easy to do and it's lasting really well. We do however buy from MPH as it's easer to do lol

Back