• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any suggestions?

Toby

Banned
Hey guys, how many of you have a couple of rabbits in pairs? And how many of you have single rabbits? I notice a lot of you have two. I use to own 8 as a breeder but now id likes to just keep rabbits as pets.

Id like to get another rabbit but the chances are kind of low because Toby has not been snipped. I was always nervous of Toby having the op and it just never happened. I am not going to get him done now because his to old. I doute he would survive the op. any suggestions?

If Toby is pretty laid back and doesn't go around humping things then he may well be ok with a neutered female, I imagine his hormones aren't so mad at his age anyway. You should be able to find an older girl in rescue that has already been spayed. Probably not one Toby's age but a 3-4 year old shouldn't be that hard to find.

Tam

For example....

amber.jpg

Thats Amber, a friendly 4.5yr old spayed female who has lived with a boy before. She's in East Ewell, Surrey.

cadbury.jpg

Thats Cadbury a three year old spayed female in Sutton, Surrey.

Tam

Hi Tamsin, Toby is very laid back these days. Last time (some years ago) he was with an UN neutered female he wasn't that bothered at all. His never humped anything while being indoors. He has also (few years now) stopped spraying, I don't think he has the energy :)

I am going to look at some bigger cages, maybe one that has the option to be divided into two as well. I would like to rescue a rabbit as well – as you said an older one rather then a younger one. I don’t know what Tobz would make of a younger bouncy bun.
:)

Hiya ,

I have an unneutered 5 year old male called cheeky . I would love to have got him a companion but as he has snuffles it is not an option now . The vet did say that cheeky would not accept another rabbit now anyway as he is so possesive of me and great friends with my dog , who is actually called toby . :lol:

You know sometime rescues get rabbits with snuffles in which means they have to go to a home as a single bunny OR with another rabbit with snuffles anyway ;)

Tam

Ps. I think I should come with a warning "Don't mention you have space for a bunny where I can hear".

Very true :)

We have a pair, on my insistence. Didn't want Branwen (our first rabbit) getting lonely and it was a chance to rescue another bun.

You could try finding Toby a girlfriend if seems happy around other rabbits. It's always so sweet to see a couple together, and they can make such good friends.

I have two pairs and two singles which I am in the process of bonding... I would never have just one rabbit on its own unless a rabbit is very unsociable on its own accord.

I would like to get another, for both him and me. It would be nice for Toby to shear the company of another bunny in his retirement years :)
Toby has always been a human rabbit, preferred the company of humans to other rabbits but in his old age Id like to have another bunny.... plus Id like another bunny also
:)

I'm planning to get a pair, as I will be at work during the day, so didn't want a single bunny getting lonely.

On the subject of snuffles...is this contagious to anything other than rabbits? Are vet bills more? And does it affect pet insurance?

Sam

I take it your considering adopting a pair of rescues that have pasturella? Often the bun won't have symptoms all the time so may go months without any treatment at all. They may have boughts of sneezing however which would incure vets bills for antibiotic treatment.

Pet Insurance doesn't usually pay out for illnesses that the rabbit had before you took out insurance. It would effect the cost of the premium for everything else but they wouldn't cover snuffles bills.

In this situation some rescues will pay future vet bills.

Tam

We would consider it, but I wasn't sure if first time owners would be suitable. I'm not sure it would be wise to take on a rabbit that knowingly will incur regular vet bills. I saw Blackberry and Twiglett on the RR website. I've emailed the bloke, but had no response.

Still I'm getting ahead of myself. I don't actually have a house yet. :)

Blackberry and Twiglet are actually being fostered on behalf of Last Chance Animal Rescue Tel: 01732 865530 andy-age@aramsey.freeserve.co.uk , I think they pay future vet bills for you!

They be able to tell you exactly whats involved in their care and give you more details so you can make an informed decision :D

Tamsin

Cadbury is adorable Tamsin, If I had the living space Id take her today but need to get a bigger cage, and will probably have to wait until we have bought a new house witch will be Jan/Feb time. I will probably end up getting a doggie cage and get some panels for a little run apartment attached to the cage.But she is lovely :)

Well post Christmas is always a busy time for rescue so I'm sure there will be plenty of beautiful bunnies waiting when your all sorted :D

Tam

Back