• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor or Indoor?

Beapig

Mama Doe
I'm really interested on hearing different people's preferences/current choices for whether their rabbits live indoor or outdoor.

My bonded pair, Ham and Bea, are outdoor buns. When we took on Ham he had been an outdoor bun for his whole life, and whilst his previous accomodation was far from ideal, it was clear from the start that he really loves digging, nibbling grass and the fresh air on his face. We adopted Beatrice from someone moving house to be bonded with Ham. She was living in a flat at her previous home, but seems to have taken to outdoor living really well. Whilst Ham mostly sleeps in the hutch in the day, she'll plonk herself in the middle of the run and happily take a snooze exposed to all of the elements :lol:

My rabbits are very well cared for and I know that they have an amazing setup, but now that it is winter, my one qualm with them living outdoors is that I don't get to spend as much time with them. Obviously it isn't light for very long at this time of year and it is also bitterly cold! However, we've just moved to our first house which is currently a building site, and even once it is all done up I don't think we have enough space to keep them indoors.

I don't think they'd like it either. The last time we had Ham in when he was ill (and then miraculously recovered) he was stomping his foot all night and woke me up about 5 times! But I do love the idea of getting to spend more time with them. If my house was bigger then I'd definitely consider it.

Anyway, I'd just love to know other's opinions on the subject :)

I'm really interested on hearing different people's preferences/current choices for whether their rabbits live indoor or outdoor.

My bonded pair, Ham and Bea, are outdoor buns. When we took on Ham he had been an outdoor bun for his whole life, and whilst his previous accomodation was far from ideal, it was clear from the start that he really loves digging, nibbling grass and the fresh air on his face. We adopted Beatrice from someone moving house to be bonded with Ham. She was living in a flat at her previous home, but seems to have taken to outdoor living really well. Whilst Ham mostly sleeps in the hutch in the day, she'll plonk herself in the middle of the run and happily take a snooze exposed to all of the elements [emoji38]

My rabbits are very well cared for and I know that they have an amazing setup, but now that it is winter, my one qualm with them living outdoors is that I don't get to spend as much time with them. Obviously it isn't light for very long at this time of year and it is also bitterly cold! However, we've just moved to our first house which is currently a building site, and even once it is all done up I don't think we have enough space to keep them indoors.

I don't think they'd like it either. The last time we had Ham in when he was ill (and then miraculously recovered) he was stomping his foot all night and woke me up about 5 times! But I do love the idea of getting to spend more time with them. If my house was bigger then I'd definitely consider it.

Anyway, I'd just love to know other's opinions on the subject :)
Before my current three I had two outdoor buns years and years ago, they seemed happy enough.

Currently I have 1 boy living outside, and 2 girls living separately inside (plan was to get boy and 1 girl living together but complications arose) still plan on getting them bonded and having them live together outside. I don't know what I'm going to do with my other girl, possibly adopt her a friend when the times right. Or try have the three of them living together.

The reason mine are kinda all over the place is because I've moved back in with my parents and put all of my stuff in storage, after buying a house which was barely livable and is gunna take a long time to do up, so they're in cages with door open so they have the run of the room they're in (separated) although Clementine spends a lot of time sleeping in her hay pile in the cage - I prefer them inside honestly they're just around and you get to spend a lot more time with them. Also when I come home Clementine runs up and greets me kinda like a dog haha. However when I move into my house they will all be outside because it's a tiny house and I have a lot of furniture and equipment x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I always had outdoor buns but now we've got indoor I don't think I'd ever keep them outside unless their personality indicates they'd be happier outside.

It's much easier on my joints having them indoors and I don't need to worry about accidents with the weather or predators (including humans).

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I always had outdoor buns but now we've got indoor I don't think I'd ever keep them outside unless their personality indicates they'd be happier outside.

It's much easier on my joints having them indoors and I don't need to worry about accidents with the weather or predators (including humans).

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Humans actually do concern me I've seen stolen bunny reports round here :( x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I’ve had both. Smudge was indoors for years, he was extremely loving with people and was a very clean boy. When we got Binky, we bonded them and provided them with an outdoor set up. I think Smudge was definitely an indoor bun whereas Binky is definitely not.

When Smudge passed away I brought Binky indoors so she wouldn’t be lonely... she hated it, constant thumping, she became grumpy despite having a room.

Binky then went back outside as I bonded her with Monte and they had a huge house together, both far happier outdoors. Monte can’t be an indoor rabbit as his snuffles is so much worse indoors, assuming it’s the dog hair, rabbit hair, dust, hay and the fact it’s warmer. However now Binky has passed away, its horrible seeing him outside alone but he is very content still and hopefully won’t be alone for long!

I prefer having my bunnies indoors, simply because I love having them around me and for them to be part of the family. However, with some rabbits they just don’t suit this and I had to accept that.

I always feel guilty when people tell me: “they shouldn’t be outside”, “it’s cruel”, “why get a pet and just put them outside”. But I can easily say that my bunnies are far happier outside than inside. Lengthy post, sorry! Like others have said, all depends on what your bunny prefers and where they’re happiest. :)

I have a bonded pair. Kizzy is definitely an indoor bun, I only have a small outdoor space and i try to take them out there as much as possible (although not in this weather) Kizzy will only stay outside if there is food. Unfortunately I don't have a lawn but I do grow them grass in seed trays - Kizzy will have a bit of a nibble, and scent mark everywhere and then she wanders back inside. Bob absolutely loves being outside and will stay outside with me for hours in the summer, he'll make quick visits to check Kizzy is still there indoors and then it's back outside with me. I think Bob is an outdoor bun at heart but his first love is Kizzy so it's an indoor life for him and he is comfortable enough to completely flop out in the middle of living room even though he has access to 'safe - human free' spaces, so I don't think being indoors actually makes him miserable.

I definitely believe some buns are indoor buns and some are outdoor buns.

I have had outdoor and indoor bunnies. Some of the rabbits I have had would not have wanted to live indoors- my quad certainly wouldn't have, especially the 2 half wildie bunnies. Personally I would not want to have outdoor bunnies again, I love the extra closeness you can have with them and it cuts down on environmental risks and risks from predators too.

As an adult I've always had indoor rabbits but they've always had occassional supervised access to garden or yard to free range = so I've had a lot to observe about how they are outside. Joey I think might prefer to be an outside bun, he was certainly a pig to get in from the garden. I really don't know about Mouse but she does love her home comforts & bunny cuddles. She was a bit of a loner in the garden too. Boo isn't suited to outside, she spooks alot in wide spaces. She would charge about & do some gardening for an hour but come in after an hour for a snooze & pop out as belly dictated. she is deaf though.

Now I can keep rabbits not only because I want to get them nice forever homes but because I love their company so much. I get to spend hours & hours with them as their base is our lounge. I would miss them far too much if they were outside. They do stop me getting on with stuff though, far too distracting. Another benefit is you see problems really early. I think indoor rabbits are generally much more people sociable but I'm only going off general observations on here

Now I can keep rabbits not only because I want to get them nice forever homes but because I love their company so much. I get to spend hours & hours with them as their base is our lounge. I would miss them far too much if they were outside. They do stop me getting on with stuff though, far too distracting. Another benefit is you see problems really early. I think indoor rabbits are generally much more people sociable but I'm only going off general observations on here

Exactly this - I love having mine indoors. They take over the room and have nibbled everything possible but I couldn’t put them outside as we love to interact with them and can spot changes in behaviour quickly. I have foster rabbits outside and the kids hardly go out to see them especially in winter so I know outdoor bunnies would not be such a big part of family life for us.

I think there are pros and cons. It's more natural living outdoors but possibly safer indoors although most people I have spoken to round here say the rabbits have bitten through the wires etc. They don't realise you have to bunny-proof things! I doubt whether central heating or open fires are very healthy for rabbits and some folk like their homes to be so hot! and stuffy. I certainly wouldn't like to live like that as I need a constant supply of fresh air coming in. Then there's all the cooking smells and the stuff humans use like sprays, which shouldn't be used if you have animals indoors. Not to mention smokers. If I were a rabbit I think I would rather be outdoors where I can breathe the air and look at grass (if you're lucky) and trees etc. and not be under humans' feet!

My bridge pair were house rabbits and destructa buns! We have a garden,however we are on a corner with a road in front and round the side and back.Access road to a housing estate.High metal fencing but visible from two sides.Two legged predators were my concern,I know the buns would be stolen or worse.We have urban foxes too.Three in the garden last week.We did build a run for daytime supervised time,however Rio the boy didn't like it and would hide in his carrier the whole time.He much preferred indoors,when we git his wife Cleo we didn't even attempt to put her out either .They loved lying together on the carpet etc

I prefer mine outdoors where they're less distracting :lol: I prefer rabbity-rabbits, and I feel outdoor is more natural for them. I would love some snuggly house bunnies one day, I'm sure, but 1.) my house isn't ready and 2.) I don't have the time to dedicate to house bunnies! :lol:

My bridge bun Bramble was definitely an outside bun, she was always out in the run whatever the weather. It was only in the last few months of her life that she took to going into the shed for a snooze - I think her old bones found the hay more comfortable to snooze on. Her last partner Parsley is also an outdoor bun, he's always sat out on the step in the run, or under it if it's a bit drizzly. When it is chucking it down he'll sit at the door in the shed looking out. His new partner Willow, I think would be quite happy to be an inside bun. She spends a lot of time in the shed, probably because all the hay is in there and she never stops eating! She also loves people attention and a good fuss. Parsley is definitely of the humans bring food and that's the only interesting thing about them camp. He backs away if you try to stroke him.
I suggested to hubby last night that if anything happens to Parsley that if I sorted out the house Willow could be an inside bun. He wasn't convinced, especially as she uses the entire run as a litter tray and poos for England. My argument was that when we first got her and she lived in the kitchen she was good at using a litter tray. I then suggested that maybe I could get her a friend indoors and as the shed would be empty perhaps I could get another pair of outside buns. Hubby said that if the shed was empty he'd fill it rapidly with shed stuff. Oh well, I'm hoping that
Parsley has a long and happy life so we can argue about it later!

We have both - 10 outside and 2 inside :)

There are definitely pros and cons to both kinds of set up. Things have just sort of evolved this way over time. When we got Spud we had nothing set up outside and already had lots of buns out there, so he moved into my dd's room and has never left. Blossom is inside because she was loosing lots of weight and didn't seem to be doing too well out there. Thankfully she's fine now.

I do like having indoor buns, but I'm usually on edge wondering what they are up to (they are upstairs) and whether they are damaging anything. I think life outside is much more interesting for the others too with 'inside' and outside space, runaround tunnels, places to dig and more space on offer. They also don't have to put up with all the family comings and goings x

Thanks for your input/feedback everyone, I've enjoyed reading all of your different opinions and preferences :)

I'm feeling like the general consensus is it depends on 1. The personality of the bunny 2. Which option is more practical depending on your living situation.

On a day like today when it is freezing outside and snow is coming down, I do wish that the buns were inside so that I could spend more time with them. I've spent a lot of time today rushing in and out to check on them and give them more hay and a freshly heated snugglesafe. Sadly we don't have the space inside, but our garden is huge so there's always the option of extending their living space outdoors.

Next summer we're planning on adding an 8 x 4 shed to the 8 x 10 greenhouse run so we can actually sit in with them for a prolonged time if the weather is like this :)

My bunnies live indoors. They have their own room so I don't have to worry about cables etc. I like that I get to see them all day and I will notice straight away if there is some thing wrong. I like that they can also sit on the window and watch the world go by. Another pro I think is that I don't have to worry about weather. In the summer they have an air con unit but I never have to worry about rain etc. I have asthma and hay fever but honestly don't find the hay doesnt bother me at all. In the summer they can enjoy supervised garden time. I also like I can make loads of activities rain or shine everyday without too much effort. I think the con with indoors (in my opinion) is the lack of sun light during winter months.
d4810fb79fb15c0ed5aa111b251a28b9.jpg
32b5322f91149c196a4399073a04a49e.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Outside, always outside. They are so much happier. I feel really guilty when any of ours have to come inside for any reason.

Our two are outside bunnies.

We bought them inside over night around bonfire night, and we’ll probably do the same just over new year.

When we have bought them inside for a run around when the weather has been bad they don’t seem unhappy, but they don’t seem happy either.

But, they love having a run about outside, even when it is cold and windy they will zoom and binky about for hours.

I just feel bad that we can’t spend as much time with them as we would like. And although they have a decentish sized hutch they don’t have a proper run at the moment so only get to have a play when we are about, which isn’t ideal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had one outdoor and then both indoor. I can say I really don't like having a bunny outdoors.

multiple factors come into that but, I love being close to my pets. I like to be in their faces, or the other way around, and snuggling them. I always found with an outdoor, that didn't happen as much. especially with winter, I dreaded sitting out with Snoopy while he ran in the garden at this time of year. also going out in the pouring rain, freezing cold etc wasn't much fun either. in winters cleaning became very sparse because I couldn't deal with the cold. being outdoor meant if I wanted to interact I had to go outdoors and that wasn't always easy if I was on crutches or had things to do inside the house. whereas if I need to study, I can let Luna play while I study. if I need to clean, I can have Luna out with me while I clean and so on. I can't do that with an outdoor.

I wouldn't ever want to have a bun outside again. I find it stressful. foxes, people, fireworks, cats, the bond between me and them. I personally don't find it as nice and its more practical for myself with my health to have them inside. I do not feel as close to them either. I prefer my pets to be among the family in the middle of the action and forced snuggles!

I also feel I pick up illness quicker. once I didn't catch Snoop's stasis until 3pm as I hadn't gone back out to see him since 9am. I just can't watch them as closely.

I love being under all my blankies with my coffee, with a little Luna at my feet digging on my fluffy socks :lol:

My two live outside and they absolutely love it, when Oscar was neutered he had to come inside for a few days while he recovered and he was so grumpy, thumping all the time and nipping, they love coming inside for a couple hours during the day for some human interaction, but no longer than a couple of hours!!

Back