• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping bunnies warm through winter

Smudge

Warren Scout
Hi everyone!

We are getting our lovely little Smudge a poppy playhouse soon and i have got loads of tips from reading this forum on how to mod it up :wink: One thing i wanted to ask though, how do you keep your bunnies warm through winter?

We can't run anything that needs main electrics which cuts out a lot of options. Do you use warm hot water bottles or some other fab idea?

Thanks in advance

Luv Helen and Smudge x x x

Well, m'dear, my vet says the essential thing is to ensure that there are no draughts and obviously if you have more than one bunny together they will keep each other warm - I have four Dutchies together so they should be OK. But the other thing is straw which will keep them warm and if yours will tolerate newspaper lining the hutch (which mine will not cos they eat it) then that is a brilliant source of insulation. I have loose plastic covers to fit over my hutches at night to keep out the real cold but also to allow the air to circulate. Someone said recently and I cannot quite remember where that it is easier to keep a bunny warm enough than to keep it cool enough!!!

I have a great tip! :D

send Smudge to me and Mubby will happily keep her warm :D

we promise to send her back in summer :lol: 8) :wink:

As much as i know she would be very well looked after i just couldn't :lol:

But if you send down Mubby i'm sure i could find a space for him and Smudge here in Birmingham :wink: :lol:

Hi

I posted this on another thread so sorry for repeating myself!! Where can I get a Snuggle Safe pad from and how much are they? Soon to be fostering a bunny with cancer so she might need some extra warmth if she goes downhill.

Thanks

Nicola

I think as Lizzie has said, bunnies cope very well with the cold as long as they have a dry draught free area to snuggle into, studies have shown in communal colonies that even during wet and snowy weather bunnies will sit outside and chose to move in at their leisure.

fit and strong rabbits will do very well in dry draught free conditions with plenty of dry bedding and a good diet. Caution should be taken with smaller breeds, elderly or young rabbits, and hutches if necessary should be moved into sheds. Many hutch companies now provide hutch covers for cold and wet weather, but caution must be taken in ensuring adequate ventilation. But, don't get too precious many rabbits love a skip in the snow. Caution with a bunny who is used to central heating, a short moderate period maybe allowed.

I was looking at the snuggle pads, but as I have 2 buns, is the general consensus that they are not really worth it?

Thanks
Anna

Bob & maisy

Back