• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I Doing Enough?

Beapig

Mama Doe
Hello everyone :wave:

I know for a fact that we have given our male rabbit Mr. Ham a much improved life compared to his previous home. He was living alone in a small hutch and only got interacted with once a day to be fed. Now he has an 8x10 run which he can run around in 24/7, and he is besotted with Beatrice, who we got for free on Gumtree when her owner was moving house. She was also a lone bunny too so I think they've really found each other <3

Despite the facts before me, have found that owning rabbits isn't very easy and need some reassurance that I'm on the right track! I'm constantly worried about whether they have 1. The right diet 2. The right accommodation 3.Enough Stimulation.

1. They are fed an 'eggcup' of pellets each per day between 8.00 and 9.00am, and are also given a handful of kale, spinach, broccoli and a couple of small carrots. I have read about foraging, but we don't even have dandelions in large supply around here, so it's really hard to get them stuff from 'the wild'. If people can recommend me the best forage then maybe I can buy seeds online and start to plant them. I bought 10 000 dandelion seeds online which I'm going to plant so that they have more variety in their diet. They also have two types of hay in constant supply, burgess hay mixed with marigolds and pillow soft meadow hay. They love eating both of those.

2. Their walk in run is a converted timber frame greenhouse, protected with perspex and wire. It is 8 x 10 ft, so quite large, and attaches straight on to their hutch so that they can hop in and out. It has some old tree trunks that they knaw on and climb, plus a little tunnel they can run through. Thr hutch has a sleeping area which is always stuffed full of hay and straw for when it is cold. They have a litter tray downstairs with a hay feeder over it which both of them happily use.

3. They have balls with bells in to throw around, plus the tunnel to run through and logs to climb on. I feel that I could do better in this department but don't want to overcrowd the run either?

My worries have amplified recently because last Thursday we had to rush Ham to the vet when he stopped eating for no apparent reason. I'm a little concerned again today - he ran up to me and got under my legs as usual when I came out with food, but only ate a fraction of what he'd usually have before going upstairs again and lying down with his eyes closed. I picked some tiny dandelions in the garden to check he wasn't totally off his food and he ate them all but then closed his eyes again. Is he just tired or something? :/ He's lying down on his side a lot too.

We never 'wanted' rabbits as it were. We had just bought our first house and were at the beginning of new jobs. A lot of change was happening at the same time we took on Ham. We did it because we couldn't turn a blind eye to his suffering. I love him dearly but I never feel like I'm doing a good enough job. I've grown up with cats and don't know enough about rabbits.

I just want to do my best for both of them! And I worry about Ham more because Bea seems to be in better health overall.

I know for a fact that we have given our male rabbit Mr. Ham a much improved life compared to his previous home. He was living alone in a small hutch and only got interacted with once a day to be fed. Now he has an 8x10 run which he can run around in 24/7, and he is besotted with Beatrice, who we got for free on Gumtree when her owner was moving house. She was also a lone bunny too so I think they've really found each other <3

Despite the facts before me, have found that owning rabbits isn't very easy and need some reassurance that I'm on the right track! I'm constantly worried about whether they have 1. The right diet 2. The right accommodation 3.Enough Stimulation.

1. They are fed an 'eggcup' of pellets each per day between 8.00 and 9.00am, and are also given a handful of kale, spinach, broccoli and a couple of small carrots. I have read about foraging, but we don't even have dandelions in large supply around here, so it's really hard to get them stuff from 'the wild'. If people can recommend me the best forage then maybe I can buy seeds online and start to plant them. I bought 10 000 dandelion seeds online which I'm going to plant so that they have more variety in their diet. They also have two types of hay in constant supply, burgess hay mixed with marigolds and pillow soft meadow hay. They love eating both of those.

2. Their walk in run is a converted timber frame greenhouse, protected with perspex and wire. It is 8 x 10 ft, so quite large, and attaches straight on to their hutch so that they can hop in and out. It has some old tree trunks that they knaw on and climb, plus a little tunnel they can run through. Thr hutch has a sleeping area which is always stuffed full of hay and straw for when it is cold. They have a litter tray downstairs with a hay feeder over it which both of them happily use.

3. They have balls with bells in to throw around, plus the tunnel to run through and logs to climb on. I feel that I could do better in this department but don't want to overcrowd the run either?

My worries have amplified recently because last Thursday we had to rush Ham to the vet when he stopped eating for no apparent reason. I'm a little concerned again today - he ran up to me and got under my legs as usual when I came out with food, but only ate a fraction of what he'd usually have before going upstairs again and lying down with his eyes closed. I picked some tiny dandelions in the garden to check he wasn't totally off his food and he ate them all but then closed his eyes again. Is he just tired or something? :/ He's lying down on his side a lot too.

We never 'wanted' rabbits as it were. We had just bought our first house and were at the beginning of new jobs. A lot of change was happening at the same time we took on Ham. We did it because we couldn't turn a blind eye to his suffering. I love him dearly but I never feel like I'm doing a good enough job. I've grown up with cats and don't know enough about rabbits.

I just want to do my best for both of them! And I worry about Ham more because Bea seems to be in better health overall.

Yo are amazing :love: If only there were more people in the world like you!

Regards things to do/toys/ etc .. I find that rotating things is a good idea. They get bored with one thing, then another thing comes back and they like it all again :)

Brambles grow everywhere - you can probably find some near you (hedgerow, wood, park, overgrown garden). The leaves are good for rabbits and available pretty much all year round. At one point last year I carried a small pair of scissors and a tough bag to put them in when I found any. They are a bit spikey.

At home, you could plant some soft fruit either in big pots or in the ground (main garden or inside their run) eg raspberry canes, thornless bramble, blackcurrant (also red or white currant), gooseberry. Rabbits can eat the stems and leaves, and you get the fruit. They are really easy to grow and can be cut back (or eaten) quite hard and survive.

PM me your address and I can send you some cuttings from my allotment - they should root over winter, and I may be able to find some 'strays' with roots.

Hanging baskets can be used to put the hay / forage / greens in to give a bit more for them to do (just make sure the rabbits can't actually get into the baskets as they may trap a leg).

I assume both are neutered and vaccinated for both myxo / RHD1 and RHD 1&2.

Otherwise: your setup is fab. They are very lucky bunnies.

What - you don't feel you're doing enough?! You're giving them a wonderful life by the sound of it! The only thing I would do is cut down on the carrot as it is very sweet and so not good for teeth or tums.
It does sound as though Ham is in 'gut' trouble again, unfortunately, so another trip to the vet is called for.

Sounds like you're doing an incredible job to me :D Someone tell me if the bought forage is a big no-no - but that's what I buy as I have the same issue finding it, lots of different brands - its small dried pieces though so I tend to pour some in a bowl for them - everyone loves it :)

There's these small baskets in P@H which are seagrass and have lots of different things in them - mine go crazy for those also and willow is a big hit (not saying you need these things just more options to mix it up here and there if you wanted) I find that switching stuff out keeps them interested :) But honestly it sounds like they have a great life - Mine are kinda in temporary living places currently - but I'm hoping to have a large run built similar to your greenhouse :)

It isn't a good sign for a rabbit to seem very sleepy. They are usually alert and eat everything you give them. Imo you maybe giving them too much in the veg deprtment, it could be causing some discomfort. All rabbits are different in their tolerances , I usually err on the side of giving little rather than lots, although they are greedy and I am quite sure would eat all day long. This is where the hay comes in, they are grazing animals and it is quite natural for them to be eating a lot of the time. Apart from this aspect you have provided a lovely home, they have space, company, lots of hay, shelter and safety.

Thank you for the advice and kind words everyone, I seriously appreciate it.

I'm worried that I'm giving them too much veg too. I had a good system down before Ham and Bea were living together, but once they were in the same pen and fighting over food (not aggressively but pushing each other out of the way etc) I think I may have started giving them a bit more than usual to overcompensate. Ham eats a lot faster than Bea - sometimes I give them a little treat of a banana end each and he'll finish his first and then steal Bea's away from her.

After they were bonded, even though they both seem happy overall, it became a big worry to be that Hamilton was stealing Bea's rations and leaving her with nothing. He's a lot bigger than her and will push her out of the way to get what he wants. But perhaps I need to rely on the fact that they both have a lot of hay on constant supply, and that should keep their bellies full.

Ham still seems poorly - if he's still ill at lunch I'll be calling the vet. I feel very gulity and hope I have not caused this :( The thing is, both times he was ill before he had even eaten. So I don't know if it is linked to food or not. But either way I'm going to cut back drastically on greens so they have to eat more hay instead.

I really knew nothing about rabbits until coming to this forum and totally appreciate that everyone is willing to offer me the best advice and support. Shimmer, your offer to send me cuttings is very kind, I'll be DMing you soon! And to answer your question yes, they're both vaccinated against all of those diseases.

You're doing really well :) OH is a massive over-feeder and I always come back from time away to find 'fat' bunnies (not actually fat but not as skinny as they should be! :lol:): it's a balance, not very delicate I find especially if they have access to loads of hay. Sticks are my best friend at the moment: that's a good few hours (minutes at the moment! :roll:) of chewing enjoyment :thumb:

At one point last year I carried a small pair of scissors and a tough bag to put them in when I found any. They are a bit spikey.

[...]

Hanging baskets can be used to put the hay / forage / greens in to give a bit more for them to do (just make sure the rabbits can't actually get into the baskets as they may trap a leg).
My OH carries a pair of secateurs, gardening gloves, a foldable saw and a torch everywhere with him: his 20min walk to and from work is along the canal which is perfect for foraging although we're down to only brambles now. He's also really tall! The hanging basket idea is excellent, and giving them something to do for food really helps: the stretching can help with gut problems too, giving the muscles a bit of variety to move about.

You're doing really well :) OH is a massive over-feeder and I always come back from time away to find 'fat' bunnies (not actually fat but not as skinny as they should be! :lol:): it's a balance, not very delicate I find especially if they have access to loads of hay. Sticks are my best friend at the moment: that's a good few hours (minutes at the moment! :roll:) of chewing enjoyment :thumb:

My OH carries a pair of secateurs, gardening gloves, a foldable saw and a torch everywhere with him: his 20min walk to and from work is along the canal which is perfect for foraging although we're down to only brambles now. He's also really tall! The hanging basket idea is excellent, and giving them something to do for food really helps: the stretching can help with gut problems too, giving the muscles a bit of variety to move about.

Thanks so much for the tips, I think I'll take a trip to my local park today and see if I can find anything good for them to eat! Do you always wash wild forage first incase it has been peed on by dogs or something?

So I've been worried sick all morning about Ham, crying and getting no work done...all of a sudden he is eating and bombing around the run like nothing happened. I am both relieved and confused. I think this bunny will be the death of me :lol::cry:

I think you are doing a really good job in looking after your two :) I have some suggestions regarding diet, some of which I think have been mentioned by others. None of this is criticism btw. Different rabbit owners will have different views on diet, depending sometimes on where they live and what is available outside and importantly how they observe different foods are tolerated by their rabbits. Do you know what Mr Ham was being fed before he came to you?

My preference for feeding is hay, a small quantity of pellets and lots of forage/herbs. I am fortunate in that I have a large garden and live in a rural area, so during most months of the year I can go outside and pick loads of different plants. At this time of the year, there is hardly anything available apart from Bramble leaves. And yes, I too go out for a walk up the road armed with secateurs and a bag :) If you find somewhere with lots of Bramble leaves, they keep for several days in the fridge. I also grow Kale and Spinach, so feed some of that at this time of the year, but do not buy it from a shop. I have several pots of herbs outside, which I can still pick from e.g Coriander, Thyme, Dill and Parsley. If I didn't have these, I would buy them and would suggest that they are usually tolerated more easily with some rabbits than vegetables. We also collect rabbit safe twigs, for feeding and also for enrichment. Up until a few days ago I also fed rabbit safe tree leaves e.g. Ash, Apple, Willow, Hazel.

I don't feed carrots and I don't feed fruit, although I think some of that is my obsession with not eating sugar :lol:

I suggest you return to this issue, of what to grow, in early Spring next year and we can suggest some things to grow in pots :)

Thanks so much for the tips, I think I'll take a trip to my local park today and see if I can find anything good for them to eat! Do you always wash wild forage first incase it has been peed on by dogs or something?
No, we don't! The only thing we do like that is not collect from busy roadsides, even though some of the stuff looks amazing: if you pick it, it feels gritty :S We also live in wild bunny area: there are wild bunnies in the Science Park and on University Park campus, as well as a few down the canal (the opposite way to OH's work but he goes that way for bramble at weekends), and I know some people would worry about bunny disease contamination but we don't. It is advisable to wash it though, and when I pick from a particularly low or 'prominent' plant, I tend to give it a quick swish in the water butt ;P

I don't feed carrots and I don't feed fruit, although I think some of that is my obsession with not eating sugar :lol:
Even when I have a whole box of carrot peelings, I try and not feed them every day! They get 9 carrot peelings each time, give or take, hung over the top of the run. I only feed them so as not to waste them (we don't have a composter set up yet) and the 'carrot dance' is a lot of fun for us to watch too :D (see here: FB video but SHOULD work for everyone https://www.facebook.com/keletkezes/videos/vb.199711564/10102245577747988/?type=3). My parents usually bring me a load of cooking apples in late October which I slowly get through, so the buns get half a de-pipped apple core each every few days for a short while! And sometimes we have bananas or people come round with lunch which includes apple or banana so the buns get the leftovers of those, and if we're mass catering they might get some spring green leaves (the two outermost ones). If they're really lucky I'll remember to leave some coriander aside for them when we have tofu curry :lol:

I think you are doing a really good job in looking after your two :) I have some suggestions regarding diet, some of which I think have been mentioned by others. None of this is criticism btw. Different rabbit owners will have different views on diet, depending sometimes on where they live and what is available outside and importantly how they observe different foods are tolerated by their rabbits. Do you know what Mr Ham was being fed before he came to you?

My preference for feeding is hay, a small quantity of pellets and lots of forage/herbs. I am fortunate in that I have a large garden and live in a rural area, so during most months of the year I can go outside and pick loads of different plants. At this time of the year, there is hardly anything available apart from Bramble leaves. And yes, I too go out for a walk up the road armed with secateurs and a bag :) If you find somewhere with lots of Bramble leaves, they keep for several days in the fridge. I also grow Kale and Spinach, so feed some of that at this time of the year, but do not buy it from a shop. I have several pots of herbs outside, which I can still pick from e.g Coriander, Thyme, Dill and Parsley. If I didn't have these, I would buy them and would suggest that they are usually tolerated more easily with some rabbits than vegetables. We also collect rabbit safe twigs, for feeding and also for enrichment. Up until a few days ago I also fed rabbit safe tree leaves e.g. Ash, Apple, Willow, Hazel.

I suggest you return to this issue, of what to grow, in early Spring next year and we can suggest some things to grow in pots :)

Thank you so much for the suggestions Omi. We are blessed in that our garden is much larger than average, and I'd love to grow stuff in it for the buns rather than just relying on store bought produce. I shall most definitely be asking for more advice on the subject come Spring :)

Back