• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Some advice on getting to know rabbits

zarathustra

Warren Scout
Evening all.

As some of you may know my partner and I brought Home the terrible twosome aka Frank and Spencer about 6 weeks ago.

They were a present for my fiancé, but I think she feels that the boys don’t like her.

As they have ringworm we have to handle them twice a day to rub meds on their ears. Neither are keen on the act of being picked up, which is normal for rabbits.

The problem seems to be that when I pick them up they will by and large sit calmly in my arm and don’t tend to fidget or escape.

When my fiancé picks them up it seems she has a constant battle to keep hold on them.

I don’t think it’s the way she’s holding them, but perhaps they can sense she’s tense as she’s waiting for them to struggle.

But my main theory is that because of her shift work I’m the one who spends more time with them. And I’m happy to sit outside with them for an hour just watching the do their things.

I know bonding with rabbits can take a loooong time. Is there anything the other half can do to bond with the boys so they can get to know her?

They are outside bunnies, and the ringworm means we can’t bring them in at the moment.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evening all.

As some of you may know my partner and I brought Home the terrible twosome aka Frank and Spencer about 6 weeks ago.

They were a present for my fiancé, but I think she feels that the boys don’t like her.

As they have ringworm we have to handle them twice a day to rub meds on their ears. Neither are keen on the act of being picked up, which is normal for rabbits.

The problem seems to be that when I pick them up they will by and large sit calmly in my arm and don’t tend to fidget or escape.

When my fiancé picks them up it seems she has a constant battle to keep hold on them.

I don’t think it’s the way she’s holding them, but perhaps they can sense she’s tense as she’s waiting for them to struggle.

But my main theory is that because of her shift work I’m the one who spends more time with them. And I’m happy to sit outside with them for an hour just watching the do their things.

I know bonding with rabbits can take a loooong time. Is there anything the other half can do to bond with the boys so they can get to know her?

They are outside bunnies, and the ringworm means we can’t bring them in at the moment.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi there :)

There might be some useful info here that will give an idea or two?

http://rabbit.org/bonding-with-your-rabbit/

http://language.rabbitspeak.com/r-e-s-p-e-c-t-is-what-my-bun-demands-of-me/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF3HQ1n5_tk

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=29064

There is no magic way that I know of to get rabbits to bond with you. My friend always says their 2 rabbits like her OH but not her. All she can do is show them love and care and with time they will come to learn that she is ok as well as you. Are your bunnies under the Vet for Ringworm? You must wash your hands after you have handled them, I expect you know this. Sorry I can't help any more.

My buns prefer my OH to me even though I'm home and with them more often.

She should try to go out there as often as possible to just sit with them, feed them a few treats. Make sure she is giving them breakfast/lunch/dinner (whichever they get).

If possible she may be able to apply treatment with them on the floor. Have some mashed up banana or similar and as they munch apply the stuff.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks all, I know that there is no magic spell for bonding with rabbits, but it’s good to get ideas of what we can do to make things easier. The other half gave me a funny look when I suggested she lie on the floor with them, and just let them hop about and maybe give them a treat or two.

Applying their cream on floor is an interesting idea. And I’m sure the boys wouldn’t object to some tasty banana in exchange for an ear rub.

Finally, yes they are under the vet for their ring worm. And we wear latex gloves when applying the cream and always wash our hands etc after handling them, and after we clean them out, which we currently do every other day.

Back