• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urinary problems?

Hi, I have a Holland lop rabbit that is 1 year old (he is a house rabbit) and lately, his pee has been bright orange and he has been peeing on some tiles that are in his cage and he is normally very good about using his litter box. I have read that this could be from the pigment of his food, and I have stopped feeding him carrots for the time being but I cant tell if it is helping. Also, he has been doing this since he was little and he doesn't do it very often but when he gets excited from seeing me he runs in a circle peeing and really kicking his feet up. is that normal? I know that circling is normal but is the peeing too?

Hi, I have a Holland lop rabbit that is 1 year old (he is a house rabbit) and lately, his pee has been bright orange and he has been peeing on some tiles that are in his cage and he is normally very good about using his litter box. I have read that this could be from the pigment of his food, and I have stopped feeding him carrots for the time being but I cant tell if it is helping. Also, he has been doing this since he was little and he doesn't do it very often but when he gets excited from seeing me he runs in a circle peeing and really kicking his feet up. is that normal? I know that circling is normal but is the peeing too?

Is he neutered? If not, this can cause territorial 'marking' with peeing ..

Yes you're right, pigments in foods can alter the colour of urine.

If you want to take him to the vet to check that he doesn't have any urinary infection, collect a specimen from a clean litter tray (I usually just put hay in there and get a sample with a syringe) and take it along to your vet. They can do a simple dipstick test for infection.

Alternatively, your vet may be able to express the bladder and get the pee himself, but if your rabbit has just had a pee then that might be a problem :) So best try and take one with you.

You might find something here of use:

http://www.therabbithouse.com/behaviour/problem-litter-training.asp

http://language.rabbitspeak.com/gimme-some-space-man/

Thanks for the help! And he is not neutered ( my last rabbit had problems with the anesthesia and I don't want that to happen again) Thanks again:love:

Back