• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long?

Rallybunny

Warren Veteran
How long do VHD germs last? Just wondering because I was thinking about bringing some of Grover's old toys over for Evo.

I'm not sure if if Grover did have VHD, as he was vaccinated, but didn't ever get any other explaination for his sudden death.

Obviously I will disinfect the toys anyway, but was just wondering how careful I needed to be with regards to transfering germs to clothes etc.

I thought the germs could survive 3 months on clothes??????

Grover died in May.

The three months is at room temperature, so if they have been somewhere cold it could be longer. Disinfecting them is a good idea anyway.

Tam

Its alwys important to remember that when disinfecting things that the scrubbing action is one of the most important things in making it clean. Disinfecting only removes a percentage of germs and so you increase that with scrubbing. I would also recommend using 'old' methods - hot, high acid/alkaline, salt, sugar as they make the enviromnent unfavourable for futher growth. Cold of course usually doesn't kill it just stops them multiplying for a bit. Maybe you could soak them in a solution of milton for a while and then scrub and rise alot - it works for babies and they drink milk which must harbour tonnes of germs.

Virkon. If you can get hold of it. When I worked in a diagnostic lab it's what we used for disposing of human blood in, and now I use it if I'm dealing with viruses. Nothing dodgy, just stuff we use for the student practicals to infect cell lines. I'm not evil. Promise.

It comes as a pink powder and you just make it up in water. The solution lasts about a week, then it starts to decolour and turn yellow at which point it's no use to anyone, and it gets a bit stinky.

http://www.antechh.com/virkongd.html

Just soak the toys in it, and then rinse them in water. Mean little viruses won't survive it. Other than that, we have an autoclave at work if you want to post them to me and you reckon they won't melt. :D

Oh yes there is a pink one you can get from the vets. They make it up to a concenrate you then water down. I had it for my bunnie when she had infected tissues.

Thanks for all your answers! :D One of the main things I want to use is the snuggle safe heat pad. It was in Grover's box with him when we took him to the vets. :( Do you think the heat from heating it up + dettol would be enough?

Hi

I saw in your post that you mentioned a snuggle safe heat pad. Can I ask where you got it from and how much it was? I'm thinking of getting one for my bunny in case she has to have another op on her foot, and I'm also going to be fostering a rabbit who has cancer so would be nice to keep her cosy when she starts to go downhill.

Thanks

Nicola

nicolar said:
Hi

I saw in your post that you mentioned a snuggle safe heat pad. Can I ask where you got it from and how much it was? I'm thinking of getting one for my bunny in case she has to have another op on her foot, and I'm also going to be fostering a rabbit who has cancer so would be nice to keep her cosy when she starts to go downhill.

Thanks

Nicola

I got mine from Pet Planet, but they don't seem to have them on their website anymore. A quick search found this link though http://www.petfoodstore.co.uk/acatalog/Miscellaneous.html

Thank you for the link. I looked on PetPlanet too but they don't seem to sell them anymore.

I also went into Wyevale garden centre today and they sell them in their pet department for anybody who doesn't want to order off the Internet. A friend of mine works for them so I should be getting one soon, bit cheaper with her discount :)

Back