• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sore at sides of mouth , help

gina paul

Mama Doe
Hi , Cheeky is on long term baytril for snuffles but over the last ffew weeks he has developed little sores in the corners of his mouth , the vet has seen them and said that it is nothing to worry about . they clear up and then come back again tho . I,ve been using a tiny bit vaseline to stop it cracking and it seems to do the trick but it keeps coming back time and time again . Its really frustrating . He doesn,t appear to be bothered by it but you knopw yourself how uncomfortable that would be , any suggestions ???

Did your vet say what he thought was causing them? Does he think its related to the meds or something else? Do you syringe the baytril in or does he have it in food? Are the sore bits on the side you give the baytril or the other/both?

Does he have any scabs around his bum/nose? Did the vet look in his mouth?

Are the sores dry or wet?

Sorry, lots of questions :D

Tam

the sores are dry and although I give him the baytril orally its usually always into one side of his mouth but both sides are affected ??? He does not have scabs any where else , the vet has checked his mouth as cheeky has had surgery for spurs a few times but his teeth are fine , the vet could find not link between the baytril and sores . he said that as long as he was on the baytril then they would not become infected . Hes in great health and body condition apart from this so i,m totally stumped ?he ,s eating like a horse and you would think there was nothing wrong apart from this on his mouth , Do you think I should try giving him his baytril into his food to see if that clears it up ?? I,m just wondering if he is spitting it out and that could be why he is getting sores .

Yes, if it was the baytril itself then I'd have thought that ulcers in his mouth would be more likely than sores on the corners.

Could it be something totally unrelated? Has he had a new toy recently he throws/chews on?

It can't hurt to try the baytril in his food if he'll take it that way.

Tam

no , there has been no change to his toys or anything that I can lay my finger on . I,ll try putting the baytril in his food to see if that does the trick , If it keeps coming back then I,ll take him back to the vets to try and get some answers . Whenever he gets put to bed at night he runs under my bed when he see,s the vaseline and cotton buds coming out . poor thing . I tried to trick him by doing it in the afternoon instead but he wised up to that one . vaseline = run . :lol:

My friends guinea pig was on Baytril for something (can't remember what), and then a little while later he also developed sores around the mouth. Vet didn't think it was related, but said that it would be best to continue the Baytril as this would, as you say, stop it becoming infected. Only thing was it never totally cleared up until a while after the Baytril was stopped as the sores didn't seem to be bothering the piggy, and he had been on the Baytril a while.

Not suggesting the Baytril is a cause, or that rabbits and guineas are the same, but it might be an idea to try and put the Baytril on his food and see if it makes a difference.

It's good he's still eating like a horse :) :wink:

Are they like hard crusty sores - a bit flaky as well? If so, you will find that most of the buns have something like that around the mouths - just in the very corners. It's usually dried food and bits of gunk that have accumulated. I think if everyone went and had a feel of their buns mouths (watch the fingers :shock: ) then most would be able to feel them.
Other than that it could be a reaction to the baytril - are teeth fine?

yeah his teeth are fine but the crusty bits are very very noticible and actually look quite sore , he,s none the worse for it tho and its just me thats freaking out about them .

Two of my bunnies used to have them and I found that certain greens (e.g. spring greens) would make it worth, so it could be some sort of allergy...

Back