• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies and Christmas Trees - advice needed

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
Hello :)

OH is very keen on a real tree this year, but I am a little reluctant coz of the furries.

Are real Christmas trees safe or poisonous in case a bun decides to chew it?

What are the chances of pine needles going into their paws? If it happens, can you remove it yourself or is a Vet visit preferable?

Anything else I should consider? (Obv aware of electrical cables for fairy lights and low-hanging decorations).

Only one Bun freeranges indoors without supervision - he is very good and we’ve never had a problem with him attempting anything that could potentially hurt him (he’s not a climber, he’s not interested in cables and he prefers to just chill out at floor level).

Advice would be most appreciated :)

christmas trees are totally safe as long as they have never been treated with chemicals of any kind. Luna and Snoopy loved our little potted christmas tree that grows outside and they enjoy munching on it. I had to keep turning it around as they would strip one side bare! :lol: obviously you don't want them eating the entire tree but little nibbles are perfectly fine. they think its a good treat!

I've not heard of a needle going in their paws. I know mine is outside but when some fell off, or they jumped in the pot, it has never happened in two years. if it went in I'd honestly tweezer it out, clean it out and as long as it isn't a deep cut I wouldn't personally head to a vet.

you could always buy some puppy pen panels and cut it off anyway. I saw somebody buy four and make a square around it so the buns couldn't really get to the tree at all.

Get one that's not been treated.

Avoid allowing him to eat it as evergreens do have a chemical in them that makes them evergreen and it can cause issues.
A little nibble here and there is okay.

You can always put a barricade around it to protect from buns when you're not able to supervise.

Girls didn't have an issue with their paws and needles last year and they spent most of the time laying under it.
This year as they are free rage it'll be barricaded with puppy panels to prevent them eating it over night.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

My sister got child.pen when my nephew was younger to keep him away from tree x could also work for bunnies

Back