• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Burgess Excel Pellets Warning - they might be dog food!

catxx

Mama Doe
Just seen posted on FB by Jo Hinde. Was in two minds whether to post here or in Diet. But please share!

Some bags of rabbit pellets are actually dog food! Burgess are aware of the problem and if you find a bag like this, let Burgess know.

Jo's piccies:
24059199_10155787017559002_5829689191103071648_n.jpg

24174614_10155787017634002_1806114685898172095_n.jpg

Just seen posted on FB by Jo Hinde. Was in two minds whether to post here or in Diet. But please share!

Some bags of rabbit pellets are actually dog food! Burgess are aware of the problem and if you find a bag like this, let Burgess know.

Jo's piccies:

Oh dear.................... :?

Thanks for passing on the warning x

Jo's piccies:

Yes I have come across this in the past. Some bags also have a 'mix' of the two.

I have always reported to Burgess, who are very apologetic and explain that it's when the machine turns over from one to the other that the problem occurs and the mix up happens.

I don't suppose the dogs will be highly concerned by eating rabbits food :)

I've had this happen twice. It was nice of Burgess to send vouchers as an apology but I buy everything online so I couldn't even use them :roll: I use SS now anyway.

Statement from Burgess that has appeared on Facebook

"Contrary to some of the posts that we have seen, we are confident that this is a one off as it arises from an internal human error that we identified ourselves. This bag was a competition prize, which was mistakenly sent to a competition winner. The winner’s prize had, in fact, been mixed up with a ‘trial bag’ in the marketing office. As soon as the team realised that a mistake had been made, we contacted the customer to make them aware, asked them to dispose of the product, apologised profusely, and sent out a replacement bag of the correct product. Given that this was an isolated incident that had been identified and rectified before the customer had opened the bag- as was reported to us- we are surprised and somewhat perplexed to see such claims about our wider range being purported online by [name redacted], and to see images of the trial bag in question being circulated with false claims.

We would like to take this opportunity to state categorically and unequivocally that the quality of our products and issues around animal welfare are at the heart of everything we do, which is why we funded peer-reviewed research that highlighted the risks associated with muesli diets and continue to support Rabbit Awareness Week. We look forward to continuing this important thread of our work throughout 2018.”

Statement from Burgess that has appeared on Facebook

"Contrary to some of the posts that we have seen, we are confident that this is a one off as it arises from an internal human error that we identified ourselves. This bag was a competition prize, which was mistakenly sent to a competition winner. The winner’s prize had, in fact, been mixed up with a ‘trial bag’ in the marketing office. As soon as the team realised that a mistake had been made, we contacted the customer to make them aware, asked them to dispose of the product, apologised profusely, and sent out a replacement bag of the correct product. Given that this was an isolated incident that had been identified and rectified before the customer had opened the bag- as was reported to us- we are surprised and somewhat perplexed to see such claims about our wider range being purported online by [name redacted], and to see images of the trial bag in question being circulated with false claims.

We would like to take this opportunity to state categorically and unequivocally that the quality of our products and issues around animal welfare are at the heart of everything we do, which is why we funded peer-reviewed research that highlighted the risks associated with muesli diets and continue to support Rabbit Awareness Week. We look forward to continuing this important thread of our work throughout 2018.”

That's good news, glad they've posted an update. Must admit I've never had a problem, but it did make me worry. Thanks for that :thumb:

I'm not saying that mistakes can't be made but I use Burgess Excel and the pellets have such an unmistakable herbal smell and they look so different from the picture above, so I guess most of us would get suspicious and notice that something's gone wrong.

Back