• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Indy has stasis :(

LarryMolly

Warren Scout
Hello all, Indy has gut stasis. He stopped eating about 9am this morning and seemed really poorly, took him straight to the vet. He’s has gut mobility and pain relief. I’m at home with him now and still no improvement. I’m going to syringe feed him critical care now. They are house rabbits so are not out in the cold weather although he does feel very cold compared to Molly so I’m trying to keep him warm.

The vet said to come back this evening if he’s not eaten anything today and they’ll keep him in overnight. Should they take in Molly as well?

Is there anything else I need to do?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello all, Indy has gut stasis. He stopped eating about 9am this morning and seemed really poorly, took him straight to the vet. He’s has gut mobility and pain relief. I’m at home with him now and still no improvement. I’m going to syringe feed him critical care now. They are house rabbits so are not out in the cold weather although he does feel very cold compared to Molly so I’m trying to keep him warm.

The vet said to come back this evening if he’s not eaten anything today and they’ll keep him in overnight. Should they take in Molly as well?

Is there anything else I need to do?

Thank you.

Poor boy :cry: Did the Vet give any indication as to what may be the primary cause of his gut stasis ? I assume that the Vet ruled out a gastrointestinal obstruction ?Was he given any fluids under his skin ? Fluid therapy can be extremely beneficial in cases of gut stasis, even if the Rabbit is not systemically dehydrated

This link may be useful to read

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/documents/filavac.doc

I'm so sorry to hear about Indy!

It sounds like we had a similar situation this morning. Our rabbit Mr. Ham would not come out of the hutch for breakfast and was very cold, hardly moving. We took him to the vet for 9.00am and he had an anti inflammatory and gut mobility. He only just started to properly eat around 1.00pm. Until then he was lying out flat with his eyes closed and head on one side. We were so worried.

I don't know if this is of reassurance at all, but maybe Indy just needs a bit of time to get his appetite back? We were worried sick and are only just breathing a sigh of relief now. I'm sending my best wishes to you!

Thank you both, I’m so worried!

Jacks-Jane I did ask about obstruction and she said his symptoms didn’t appear as if there was a blockage and she had a good feel, but he didn’t have an X-ray. Should he have done? I also said I’d like fluids so at least he stays hydrated. She said he didn’t need it. The vets I go to is listed on the RWAF website but I’m convinced she should have given him fluids!!

I could be wrong but I think it might be anxiety that has caused it as Molly has been chasing him quite a bit in the last 24 hours for some reason. We’ve reduced their space and tried to monitor and stop it as much as possible but we didn’t spend the night with them so maybe there was some bad chasing overnight that’s triggered it. Such a shame!

Beapig - so pleased Mr Ham is eating now. Hopefully he continues to recover and sending my best wishes to you also.

Jacks-Jane I did ask about obstruction and she said his symptoms didn’t appear as if there was a blockage and she had a good feel, but he didn’t have an X-ray. Should he have done? I also said I’d like fluids so at least he stays hydrated. She said he didn’t need it. The vets I go to is listed on the RWAF website but I’m convinced she should have given him fluids!!

I could be wrong but I think it might be anxiety that has caused it as Molly has been chasing him quite a bit in the last 24 hours for some reason. We’ve reduced their space and tried to monitor and stop it as much as possible but we didn’t spend the night with them so maybe there was some bad chasing overnight that’s triggered it. Such a shame!

Beapig - so pleased Mr Ham is eating now. Hopefully he continues to recover and sending my best wishes to you also.

How is he doing now ?

The same :( although he’s moved a bit more. Have given critical care now. He keeps looking up in a hunched position, presumably it’s stretching his tummy out. Going to call vet at 5 if he’s still not eaten I think. Is it usual for vets to keep them in overnight if he’s still not eaten? Or is it better to go back, get fluids and come home again? So hard to know what’s best and I’m not experienced with this!

LarryMolly, Hi, and I am so sorry to hear this!

It may take a bit of time to get things going again. Yes, stress can definitely cause it.

Some info here:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf

If you have the gut motility meds, and some Metacam for pain, then hopefully he'll be OK in a wee while.

How's he doing now? x

The same :( although he’s moved a bit more. Have given critical care now. He keeps looking up in a hunched position, presumably it’s stretching his tummy out. Going to call vet at 5 if he’s still not eaten I think. Is it usual for vets to keep them in overnight if he’s still not eaten? Or is it better to go back, get fluids and come home again? So hard to know what’s best and I’m not experienced with this!

Yes, call the vets and ask for fluids - these will help to keep the gut contents well hydrated so they can pass through :)

If the Surgery will be staffed overnight then he may benefit from being admitted for IV fluids. He may need further medication (IV) too.

Hi MM - thanks for this! It’s such a shame. He’s the same at the moment so lethargic and hunched up and ignoring my attempts to hand feed him. Will call vets at 5 if nothing changed and make sure I get the fluids.

Thanks Jacks-Jane - it’s 24 hours and according to website they have a separate rabbit ward which makes me feel better about leaving him. Hopefully it won’t come to that...

Just got back from the vets. He still hasn’t eaten or pooped. We opted to bring him home with medication rather than keep him in as we hope this is less stressful for him and Molly.

He’s now had fluids, although they didn’t want to give them to him. Does anyone know why this might be? He had an injection of ranitidine, and we have to administer Emeprid, ranitidine, metacam and critical care at home.

It’s going to be a long night x

Just got back from the vets. He still hasn’t eaten or pooped. We opted to bring him home with medication rather than keep him in as we hope this is less stressful for him and Molly.

He’s now had fluids, although they didn’t want to give them to him. Does anyone know why this might be? He had an injection of ranitidine, and we have to administer Emeprid, ranitidine, metacam and critical care at home.

It’s going to be a long night x

Perhaps they felt the fluids weren't necessary? They didn't say why? How odd! I expect he had them sub-cut, i.e. under the skin.

I hope he begins to improve very soon, if not sooner xx hugs xx

Back