• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bubbling tummy 😣

Kim_w

Mama Doe
Went out to feed ny rabbits this morning and my single bun was lay down breathing very fast and the back end of her abdomen looked like it was bubbling. I phoned vets went back out to get her and she was sat up but scrunched up (she rests in this position sometimes) but she was shakibg all over. I got her out to take her straight to the vets.
The nurse checked her over when i got there then I waited for vet appointment.
The vet checked her over and said she was ok. He did take my concerns seriously and said if she doesn't eat/ pass any droppings to bring her straight back.
When i got home I had to put her straight in hutch and go to work as I was late. Got home from work 3 hours later and she waa fine!
This morning I honestly thought she could be dying.
It seemed to me like tummy isdues as i could see her abdomen moving.
My husband is wondering if she is just freezing. I have 2 other rabbits and they have thick fluffy winter coats but pancakes coat is still quite thin. Was looking at them microwave heat mats for pets but wonder if sitting on that with cold air around her could maker her ill. Tempted to get an indoor cage and bring her in but she is a proper rabbit, always loves being out in the garden whereas my other 2 I have to physically put them in the garden as they are wimps in bad weather!
Will obviously keep a close eye on her but wondered if any of you had any advice. Really thought she was dying this morning. She is such a beautiful girl. X

The reason for the heavy breathing was that she was in pain. Had she eaten something which caused gas in her tummy? Many folk use those Snugglesafes so they must be good. I hope bunny remains well now.

We hadnt changed anything in her diet. She had pellets, hay, spring greens abd fresh water at about 10pm same as every night.
Im wondering if she had gut problems but me rubbing her tummy and then being picked up and being transported to the vets got her guts going again?

No. I think she is approx 3 years old. We have had her 14 months. She has never even seemed "off" before which is why I was so alarmed this morning. She really gave me a shock!

Has she been neutered? Any chance of pregnancy?
Did your vet listen to her gut sounds and examine her teeth, ears, etc?
Are you sure she is eating normally?

Snugglesafe heatpads (quite cheap on Amazon at the moment) are a good idea for poorly bunnies, especially if they are outside and with a thin coat. Sick rabbits find it harder to regulate their temperature. They should always have the option of whether to be on it (with it under a pile of hay) or off it so they don't overheat.

I would be tempted to bring her inside to an unheated room, but with plenty of room to move about (at least overnight). Then you can keep an eye on what she is eating and her poo output. Anything not normal and she should be straight back to the vet.

Our garden is fully secure so I doubt a fox could get in. My other 2 are fine.
She is not neutered but 100% can't be pregnant.
Going out to feed them shortly when my daughter is asleep. Ill offer her a carrot. If she is feeling well she will defo wabt to eat it.
The vet listened to her gut sounds, checked teeth etc.

When I got home from work earlier I brought her in the house and she pottered about, sat on the door mat then whent out into the garden which is all normal for her!

Ill certainly take her straight back if she seems off again or if I see a reduction in her eating/droppings.

I feel jinxed on wednesdays. Somebody wrote my car off last wed and a poorly bunny today 😣

It was inly a small one. Wanted to see if she was keen on eating. She doesnt always bother with her pellets or hay when i first put them in.
Pleased to say she is still very well 🐰😊

Back