• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding the boys....again

Sophie92x

Young Bun
So we have come to the conclusion that Pancakes only attacks Noctis when he's in the run. ANY other place is absolutely fine, they groom and cuddle which is great.
I have now stepped it up a notch and put them in the same hutch together, but have closed off most of the run for now.
I am hoping that I can gradually increase the size of the run if I see no aggression from Pancakes.
I'm just wondering if I'm going about it the correct way? I feel bad that they now have very limited space outside but I will bring them indoors when I get in from work so they have space to run around then.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

If things are fine you can gradually increase space after 48hrs. Is the run neutral territory to them both?you could try neutralising it as best you can with a mix of vinegar and water, and remove any toys of litter tray. It won't hurt them for a couple of days to have less space and you are doing it for the best in the long run

If things are fine you can gradually increase space after 48hrs. Is the run neutral territory to them both?you could try neutralising it as best you can with a mix of vinegar and water, and remove any toys of litter tray. It won't hurt them for a couple of days to have less space and you are doing it for the best in the long run
They have been living in separate hutches/runs as Pancakes injured Noctis back in December last year. Neutral territory is my room, they get along great there, we also had them in a cage over the weekend as we were visiting family, no problems there either.
We have put them in Noctis's hutch/run, scrubbed the run with vinegar/water, but woke up this morning to some fur on the floor :(
I don't know why Pancakes pulls Noctis's fur only in the run!?

They have been living in separate hutches/runs as Pancakes injured Noctis back in December last year. Neutral territory is my room, they get along great there, we also had them in a cage over the weekend as we were visiting family, no problems there either.
We have put them in Noctis's hutch/run, scrubbed the run with vinegar/water, but woke up this morning to some fur on the floor :(
I don't know why Pancakes pulls Noctis's fur only in the run!?

Because they are on Noctis's territory. It's best to keep newly bonded rabbits to neutral territory for a while before moving them to even a neutralised territory, each time you move them they will be starting again somewhat, Noctis will still see it as his own.

Because they are on Noctis's territory. It's best to keep newly bonded rabbits to neutral territory for a while before moving them to even a neutralised territory, each time you move them they will be starting again somewhat, Noctis will still see it as his own.
Unfortunately I cannot keep them in my room (rented property) so I'm a bit stuck on what to do. I thought that if I cleaned out Noctis's territory and closed off the majority of run, Pancakes would quit the fur pulling.
Again, when they are in Noctis's hutch, no problems, they groom/eat/cuddle.
I will add that Noctis has never retaliated to Pancakes, he just wants to be friends!

Unfortunately I cannot keep them in my room (rented property) so I'm a bit stuck on what to do. I thought that if I cleaned out Noctis's territory and closed off the majority of run, Pancakes would quit the fur pulling.
Again, when they are in Noctis's hutch, no problems, they groom/eat/cuddle.
I will add that Noctis has never retaliated to Pancakes, he just wants to be friends!

Well if they are fine in the hutch I would leave them in there for 48hrs and then slowly extend the space. It sounds like it could work, but you have to take it slowly.

Moving them from one area to another will upset them so try to keep them in just one area, There is no guarantee they will get along, so good luck!

Moving them from one area to another will upset them so try to keep them in just one area, There is no guarantee they will get along, so good luck!
Thanks! I really don't want to give up on bonding them, its only the run that Pancakes gets funny about, otherwise they are absolutely fine together!

Well if they are fine in the hutch I would leave them in there for 48hrs and then slowly extend the space. It sounds like it could work, but you have to take it slowly.
Thanks for the advice, I have told my other half that if he sees fur in the run at lunchtime, he has to lock them in the hutch.

OH just went home to find them both outside munching on hay, no fur anywhere. Good sign for now..

I have one question though...they have very limited space and obviously still need to exercise, can I still take them upstairs to my room where they have the room to run around? Or should I just leave them where they are and extend the run space every few days?

I have one question though...they have very limited space and obviously still need to exercise, can I still take them upstairs to my room where they have the room to run around? Or should I just leave them where they are and extend the run space every few days?

I would avoid moving them at all until the bond is secure. You risk upsetting it otherwise. I would take it slowly for the best chance of the bond being a success

I would avoid moving them at all until the bond is secure. You risk upsetting it otherwise. I would take it slowly for the best chance of the bond being a success
Okay, I'll leave them, thanks

*update*
So I think the bonding is going well, there has been a few Tufts of fur lying around but Noctis does not seem bothered in the slightest, I have extended the run slightly but tonight they have been locked in the hutch (Pancakes sits outside all night and it's getting too cold for that) I'm hoping that won't upset the bond.

Hi! It went great! OH went down this morning to let them out and they were fine! No fur anywhere :)
They have been out in the extended run since 8am, just about go and check if everything is still okay.

Sooo everything still seems to be going okay (I think) still finding tufts of fur though...but again Noctis seems happy, I have caught them grooming and they sit outside together.
When will the fur pulling stop though from Pancakes?

Back