• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent - leaf was eaten

Graciee

Staff member
Fleur ate end of leaf does anyone know what plant this is? Do I need to get her to vets? Rabbit savvy one is closed - kinda panicked
323251894b6d9b129f950dc39f817ab9.jpg

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I have tried searching for some info - I think it's a Succulent but don't know its actual name - if bunny has only had a tiny bit she should be ok. I will carry on looking on the Internet and if I find out anything will get back to you.

Thank you so much you don't know how much I appreciate that.

I don't think it's a succulent though um I've been looking online too my boyfriend thinks it might be a Kalanchoe

If she's only eaten a small amount is there a possibility she'll be okay you think?

I could take her to vets4pets they're pretty useless at my local one tho but I could always insist they treat it like she's been poisoned and hope they know what exactly a rabbit would need...

Yes that's what my boyfriend thinks, I can't see much online about rabbits and them tho :(

Just read Kalanchoes are toxic and rabbits should not eat them. If eating some makes the rabbit ill, it won't be apparent for a few hours. I would ring the Vet and ask them for their advice.

I need to go out now, but think the plant is Sedum Spurium. It's a stonecrop. It's a succulent. Most of the stonecrops are tasty to humans.

I suggest you do some research for this and whether it is OK for rabbits.

I've got an appointment at 4.20 with the head vet at vets4pets - not been very impressed with him in past but he's better than the others who know nothing about bunnies :(

It was so stupid, my mum moved the plant nearer her pen and I went to feed her and she always jumps out onto my leg for strokes but she jumped out and came face to face with the plant and just bit the leaf off and I instantly went for her mouth but she'd already swallowed the bit she got :(

I've got an appointment at 4.20 with the head vet at vets4pets - not been very impressed with him in past but he's better than the others who know nothing about bunnies :(

There is bit of the supportive care from the article I quoted:

Activated charcoal may be given after emesis. If clinical signs are already present, supportive therapy is indicated. Al- though intravenous fluids are neces- sary to maintain cardiac output, fluids containing calcium should be used with caution because calcium may augment the effects of the cardiac glycosides. Animals should be kept as quiet as possible to avoid further stress on the heart.

Might be worth asking for fluids (no calcium) at the vets?

Some info on activated charcoal:

http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/when-and-how-use-activated-charcoal

Good luck for this afternoon xx

I no longer have buns,so I have loads of houseplants.My niece came to live with me when her relationship broke up for awhile .She brought her cat Giorgio,a Bengal.Pedigree,beautiful,expensive...daft as a brush!I had a budgie and a hamster so we had a rota for when they were allowed out of bedrooms etc.Giorgio got into the bathroom and ate leaves from a parlour palm,also a yukka.Loads if houseplants toxic to cats.He was fine just puked a bit.We did have to take him to the vet once ad he likes to eat "crispy" plastic he got an injection to make him puke luckily that was enough As I said daft as a brush.:roll:

Thank you everyone for everything - all the links were super helpful I showed them to the vet and it really helped - she's staying at the vets overnight :( gunna have fluids and they're going to monitor her - and give her something if she gets worse. Hopefully I'll be able to collect her tomorrow afternoon :( so worried about her she kept jumping into my arms off the table in the consultation room she's such a sweetie.

I guess she's in the best place currently - wish my proper vets was open but at least she'll get help if she needs it :( just wish they knew about rabbits there xx

Back