• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How does your bunny present post GA

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Boo was a little wobbly when she 1st got home ofter her GA last week. Is it normal for bunnies to be a little unsteady? It lasted an hour or 2 after we got her home at 6:30, she came round from GA about 2:30.

My bridge boy Rio was always wobbly after a GA for a dental.He looked drunk!I would guide him to a fluffy blanket to lie on to sleep the rest off.:D

Both instances of post GA that I've experienced with my rabbits recently have been when each rabbit was pretty poorly prior to the GA, so it's not really indicative.

I really would not be at all surprised or overly concerned if a well rabbit was a bit wobbly afterwards though. I think it will probably vary a bit from rabbit to rabbit and will depend to a large extent on how quickly the rabbit can process the anaesthetic through their system.

Also having had many GAs myself, I can't remember a time when I haven't felt wobbly for quite a while afterwards :lol:

My bridge boy Rio was always wobbly after a GA for a dental.He looked drunk!I would guide him to a fluffy blanket to lie on to sleep the rest off.:D
Awww, how sweet. I'm pleased it seems to be a normal reaction
Both instances of post GA that I've experienced with my rabbits recently have been when each rabbit was pretty poorly prior to the GA, so it's not really indicative.

I really would not be at all surprised or overly concerned if a well rabbit was a bit wobbly afterwards though. I think it will probably vary a bit from rabbit to rabbit and will depend to a large extent on how quickly the rabbit can process the anaesthetic through their system.

Also having had many GAs myself, I can't remember a time when I haven't felt wobbly for quite a while afterwards :lol:

I've never had one. Noodley always sprang back (apart from when I took her to a local vet once - bad call) so you couldn't even tell she'd had a GA but maybe she was seen earlier. That's reassuring though - thanks

I remember when Scrappy had her first GA for a tear duct flush and dental she was extremely wobbly when she came home. If I remember correctly she wasn't right again for a few hours. But it wasn't so bad when she had her second one for spay. I wondered if they adjusted the anaesthetic the second time or it was because she didn't move as much then so it was less noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bramble was always very wobbly for a couple of hours after coming home from a GA, I kept her in a confined are with nothing for her to attempt to jump on and off until she settled down. I hope Boo is okay and it wasn't for anything serious x

Phoebe is always a little dopey after her GAs. Takes her about 3 hours over home before she really seems herself.

How is Princess Boo?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Lopsy was groggy for about 8-12hrs after his neuter I think? He mostly spent his time lying down, but when he did get up it was, erm, hilarious at first, and when he was alright doing that he fell over sometimes when cleaning himself XD

Is it something that affects lops more than 'normal' bunnies, maybe?

Phoebe is always a little dopey after her GAs. Takes her about 3 hours over home before she really seems herself.

How is Princess Boo?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

She is acting fine & seems happy but still a little of an enigma regarding her tushy pegs

Thanks all. It seems wobbly is normal

Glingle she is OK ish thanks, certainly acting normal but shes a dental bun now so will be having lots more GA's - I was wondering if she had a bit too much but maybe not having read your replies

My bridge boy Rio had his dentals at the PDSA and they list on their receipt the drugs used in their GA and it's ketamine,no wonder he was "spaced".:)

Last edited:
mabel and sox used to be the same, I used to say they looked drunk, sox would eat at the vets, but mabel refused until she got home, in end she learnt that way they allowed her home earlier as knew after dentals she would recover faster at home, so once was past very ywobbly stage I was allowed to collect her, then as soon as I got her home she was into her food

Yes wobbly buns are pretty normal here too, both my bridge bun Toffee, and his sister were/are dental buns. Having said that, Treacle was done this week, and this was the quickest she's ever pulled round, and started eating for herself !
My puddy cat George, was also done on the same day as Treacle, he was ravenous as soon as he got out of the basket, and he was minus two teeth ! :roll:

Yes wobbly buns are pretty normal here too, both my bridge bun Toffee, and his sister were/are dental buns. Having said that, Treacle was done this week, and this was the quickest she's ever pulled round, and started eating for herself !
My puddy cat George, was also done on the same day as Treacle, he was ravenous as soon as he got out of the basket, and he was minus two teeth ! :roll:

Boo says snap (although hers were lost prior to dental)

Back