• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where did your rabbit come from?

MightyMax

Banned
Following on from Omi's thread about Rescue Rabbits, I want to ask the question ...

Where did you get your rabbit from, and what was the background to them being given up?

OK, I'll kick off :)

My Rex family of four came from Alice at Windwhistle Warren almost six years ago. Yan and Tan were living at a breeder's and the breeder left his partner together with all of the rabbits. Tan had apparently eaten her previous kits :shock::( When Alice collected them, Tan was already pregnant again with Tethra and Methra, who were born at Windwhistle. After the boys were born, they bonded themselves by Yan sneaking into their run :D

I got Frosty and Snowflake from a local pet shop when I lived in Wales. They are lionhead x dutch. They were sexed as two females but turned out to be males. I was given excellent feeding advice but poor advice regarding the space they would need. I found RU before I brought them home so all was well.

Tessie and Daisy came from BARC rescue in Yorkshire and were born in rescue. Someone on here has one of their siblings! They were in rescue for a few months until I spotted them and fell in love.

They are all living together in a shed/run in our garden and have at least an hour of free range time each day.

OK, I'll kick off :)

My Rex family of four came from Alice at Windwhistle Warren almost six years ago. Yan and Tan were living at a breeder's and the breeder left his partner together with all of the rabbits. Tan had apparently eaten her previous kits :shock::( When Alice collected them, Tan was already pregnant again with Tethra and Methra, who were born at Windwhistle. After the boys were born, they bonded themselves by Yan sneaking into their run :D

This is possibly why all your boys got along well. The hierarchy would have been laid down from the start, although some young Bucks would like to be the Alpha bun.

Angel - pet shop
Ralph - Bunny Burrows Rescue. He was given up & fought with male bonded partner on reaching puberty
Kitty - Hull Animal Welfare. Rescued by previous owner as being sold for meat alledgedly but he wasn't equipped to keep her
Noodle & Myrtle - Bunny Burrows, never got much of a story. Gwen said they came via RSPCA. Noodles face was badly damaged (later radiographs by FHB revealed)
Joey - RSPCA - huge amount of bunnies rescued with him. He was a baby when rescued but 1 year when we got him (RSPCA had him in tiny cage)
Boo - RSPCA- originally a "stray". Very much loved by her foster mum
Mouse - Camp Nibble . She initially was rescued by the police (fatal drug overdose of owner) in a tiny guinea pig cage - I hate to think of what her life was like then :( She was then adopted by someone who returned her to Camp Nibble as they were moving & new landlord didn't want her in the property. She then got head tilt when moved to foster parents (EC stress induced probably). When I found her she was in the hard to rehome section. By then she was living with a group of Camp Nibble rabbits, only problem they were mainly dental buns & Mouse is a greedy so & so. So they were struggling to gain any weight whilst Mouse turned in to right fatso :lol:

This is possibly why all your boys got along well. The hierarchy would have been laid down from the start, although some young Bucks would like to be the Alpha bun.

Yes, I realise that my quad was not the norm in that respect.

Do you think then that to create a quad, by adding three rabbits to an existing buck, it would be more likely to succeed if the three new rabbits were does? I was under the impression that the does could be too territorial.

Angel - pet shop
Ralph - Bunny Burrows Rescue. He was given up & fought with male bonded partner on reaching puberty
Kitty - Hull Animal Welfare. Rescued by previous owner as being sold for meat alledgedly but he wasn't equipped to keep her
Noodle & Myrtle - Bunny Burrows, never got much of a story. Gwen said they came via RSPCA. Noodles face was badly damaged (later radiographs by FHB revealed)
Joey - RSPCA - huge amount of bunnies rescued with him. He was a baby when rescued but 1 year when we got him (RSPCA had him in tiny cage)
Boo - RSPCA- originally a "stray". Very much loved by her foster mum
Mouse - Camp Nibble . She initially was rescued by the police (fatal drug overdose of owner) in a tiny guinea pig cage - I hate to think of what her life was like then :( She was then adopted by someone who returned her to Camp Nibble as they were moving & new landlord didn't want her in the property. She then got head tilt when moved to foster parents (EC stress induced probably). When I found her she was in the hard to rehome section. By then she was living with a group of Camp Nibble rabbits, only problem they were mainly dental buns & Mouse is a greedy so & so. So they were struggling to gain any weight whilst Mouse turned in to right fatso :lol:

Aww, poor Mouse :( What a disrupted life she has had :(

Aww, poor Mouse :( What a disrupted life she has had :(

I know:( You know why now I had to make my trio work. She is happy now though (I think & hope). Even with the awkward trio bond Joey gave her kisses & cuddles from day one

Interesting thread :)

Bluebell, Bonny & Bing - bought from a student, who had a litter of six.
Buffy - Gumtree ad, no longer wanted, horribly neglected, unbelievably tiny hutch.
Theo (who arrived with the late Sydney) - change of circumstances, but otherwise well loved and cared for.
Dottie - Gumtree ad, tiny two tier hutch with the ramp missing, unwanted.
Ziggy - B.a.r.c.s rescue, not too sure on background, but he hadn't been there long.
Spud - Gumtree ad, previous owner said they were moving back to their country. He had an upturned small dog crate for a run, with the base for a roof.
Blossom - Gumtree ad, no longer wanted, living in the tiniest hutch I think I've seen, even photos don't show just how tiny. Was a two tier but with the upper level removed making it even smaller.
Loki, Thor and Sky - Gumtree ad, many of you will have seen their story on here.

Bit of a theme :oops: x

Millie, Milo, Charlie were adoption section buns from 'that' place
Fudge was given to me by a co worker seven years ago as he supposedly bit her behaviorally challenged child, guessing he was pet shop originally
Cora and Daisy came from an awful rescue place local to me

Rio mini lop/ mix breed came from an independent pet shop.Cleo was otter blue mini lop,she came from my nieces friend who was a breeder.Both were my nieces ,I was the main carer and bill payer ! She was 16 and at college then.

Last edited:
Bobo was from P@H
Harley was from a Breeder
Holly was in P@H adoption centre - she'd been dumped outside the store one night in a box for the staff to find the next morning
Sheldon - we went to pick up a purchase off Ebay and saw him in an awful small cage - owner said 'you can have him - he doesn't do anything'
Bug was from a man who'd rescued her from a snake person intent on feeding her to said snake
Prudhoe was advertised locally - apparently didn't get on with their dogs - more likely they couldn't cope with his 'un-neutered' state :lol:
Joey was handed to me by our next door neighbour - not wanted by their child
Princess was off ScumTree.

Sweep - only bunny I’ve ‘bought’ - he was from a family who had accidental litter
Hettie - Reading RSPCA
Jess - re homed from a family member who was struggling to care
Noah - RSPCA
Blue - Swindon Rabbit Rescue
River - private rescue. Dumped outside the house of a rescue friend

Yes, I realise that my quad was not the norm in that respect.

Do you think then that to create a quad, by adding three rabbits to an existing buck, it would be more likely to succeed if the three new rabbits were does? I was under the impression that the does could be too territorial.

They are more territorial if a new bunny is introduced to them, but in your case it would be the girls being introduced to a boy! I have been thinking about you and this is what I would do if in your situation. You have 1 boy and would like a group of 4, so I would look for either a Mummy with her 2 daughters (young), or 3 young sisters. The first option would be my favourite as the daughters would normally be submissive to their Mum.

My first 2 rabbits ( sisters) were brought home by my then neighbour for her 2 children. They used to spend only half their time at home and the rabbits were directly opposite my front door. She asked if I could throw (her word) some food in now and then and that is how I came to love rabbits. I bought them a 6 x 3 run and put it in my garden and the 2 bunnies, Netherlands, used to love chasing one another. Long story short, neighbour decided to move and was going to leave it up to the children as to whether they would take the rabbits. I dreaded losing them but they decided to leave them behind!!!! The rabbits had been bred by people in the next village. They lived until they were 6. Before this I knew absolutely nothing about rabbits but I got all the books I could find as I didn't have computer back in 1998.

Because I thought my neighbour would take the rabbits with her I decided to look for myown rabbit and saw a white Netherland Dwarf aged 6 months which came with cage £10. The owner said she didn't like the rabbit and they put the hutch with rabbit on the back seat of my car. I had to open all the windows wide on my way home because the smell was unbelievable :shock: She was called Snowy but I changed her name to Jasmine. I sorted the hutch out and put her in a run next to a Lavender bush. A couple of hours later she had almost devoured it all! She was a very spirited rabbit.

Cola and Holly - From someone we knew who had rabbits that had a litter
Peter - From my daughter (I had Ted and she had Peter but we found that we could each give the other rabbit what it needed better so we swopped)
Velvet - PAH
Scooby - Breeder
Rex - PAH adoption, one of the store rabbits but he was a bully, a dominant male
Willow - Breeder

My two girls came from a backyard breeder (before I knew any better)...

Future buns will all be rescued. I wouldn't consider pet shop or breeder now, not seeing how many sit in rescue centres :(

My first bunny was from a garden centre - typical story, not even looking for a rabbit but saw these cute babies and couldn’t resist! Went back a few weeks later to collect him once he was old enough.

Current buns lol:

Coco and Casper - littermates, owner with unneutered females kept outdoors with an open top run. They kept disappearing and returning, obviously meeting up with male rabbits somewhere along the way as the 2 females had a few litters before it got too much for the owner.

Millie - found as a stray & not claimed, handed in to a vet who then passed her to the rescue.

As yet unnamed new bunny - another case of owners finding out when it’s too late why rabbits should be neutered. Given up with some of his littermates.

The 4 rabbits I have now were all adopted from the same rescue. Somehow all of mine have been young when I got them, my newest is the oldest one I’ve taken on (at the point of me getting them) he is about 8 months old now.

Back