• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Inside/Outside advice - one healthy bun and one sickly bun

xlaurax

Mama Doe
Hi everyone

For those who didn't see the thread yesterday, Bramble is quite poorly. Likely diagnosis - mammary cancer. (Full thread here)

The issue I now face is when to put them back outside. She's recovering in the kitchen at the moment (radiator off but heat pad just in case she gets too cold).

Really not sure when to put them back outside. I have to wait a week for the results of the biopsy yesterday and I'm pretty sure it's going to be the worst possible news, the vet is certain it will be. I'm obviously happy to keep Bramble inside but my issue is with Bluebell. She will eventually have to go outside, likely she's going to be alone (until I can get her a new bonded pal).

I don't want Blue to adapt to the warmth of the kitchen and have to go back out into the cold and potentially develop a snuffle but at the same time I don't want to send Bramble out there when it's this cold (-1 at home this morning and icy).

Any advice appreciated!

Hi everyone

For those who didn't see the thread yesterday, Bramble is quite poorly. Likely diagnosis - mammary cancer. (Full thread here)

The issue I now face is when to put them back outside. She's recovering in the kitchen at the moment (radiator off but heat pad just in case she gets too cold).

Really not sure when to put them back outside. I have to wait a week for the results of the biopsy yesterday and I'm pretty sure it's going to be the worst possible news, the vet is certain it will be. I'm obviously happy to keep Bramble inside but my issue is with Bluebell. She will eventually have to go outside, likely she's going to be alone (until I can get her a new bonded pal).

I don't want Blue to adapt to the warmth of the kitchen and have to go back out into the cold and potentially develop a snuffle but at the same time I don't want to send Bramble out there when it's this cold (-1 at home this morning and icy).

Any advice appreciated!

How long have they been indoors Laura?

To be honest, I would be very reluctant to put either of them outside at this time of year ...

How long have they been indoors Laura?

To be honest, I would be very reluctant to put either of them outside at this time of year ...

They've been indoors since being taken to the vets yesterday morning. The issue is I don't have space to keep them indoors full time. At the moment they're roaming around the kitchen but it's not ideal at all. It is definitely a temporary measure.

I'm thinking if I put them out Saturday day and monitor them as it gets cooler through the evening/night. (I've cancelled my plans this weekend so I can be at home now).

I'll see how they're doing when I get home tonight. The vet advised keeping them inside for at least 24 hours until Bramble's anesthetic wears off.

Such a difficult situation. I'm sorry one of your buns isn't well (think I may have posted on your other thread, not sure).

If it were me, id definitely want to keep Bramble inside indefinitely, given her health, but I get that that means either having both inside or Bluebell outside by herself. Hmmm, so tricky.

Is there nowhere to make space at all inside? We've had to unexpectedly bring one of our buns in front outside. She was losing a considerable amount of weight and I don't think she would have made it through the winter (thankfully she's already gaining). I had to improvise and set up a pen for her in our bedroom, as we already have a currently unneutered male in another room (her eventual partner, fingers crossed). It's not ideal, but I had to do something x

Such a difficult situation. I'm sorry one of your buns isn't well (think I may have posted on your other thread, not sure).

If it were me, id definitely want to keep Bramble inside indefinitely, given her health, but I get that that means either having both inside or Bluebell outside by herself. Hmmm, so tricky.

Is there nowhere to make space at all inside? We've had to unexpectedly bring one of our buns in front outside. She was losing a considerable amount of weight and I don't think she would have made it through the winter (thankfully she's already gaining). I had to improvise and set up a pen for her in our bedroom, as we already have a currently unneutered male in another room (her eventual partner, fingers crossed). It's not ideal, but I had to do something x

It really is tricky. Separating them is not an option for me, Bramble's been poorly before and separation from Blue resulted in Bramble quickly going downhill.

There's just no space to keep them inside. Where they are now, they're free roaming the kitchen which is fine temporarily but we have had to move loads of stuff into the lounge to make space for them and it's just not a permanent solution. My house is seriously tiny.

I can keep them in until next week (when we get the results) but Bluebell can't stay in indefinitely. My fear is that I'll keep Blue inside until next week and then she'll end up with a snuffle when she eventually goes back out. She's a very healthy bunny and maintains a weight of almost 2kg. It's just the snuffles I'm scared of :(

Update: spoken to the vet who recommends putting them outside.

I'm planning on putting them out tomorrow mid-morning with hutch cover on and front cover too, loads of straw (at least half a foot deep throughout) and 2 x heat pads. Also going to pick up a fleecy little bed for them on the way home tonight so they have something to snuggle in.

This is all on the proviso that Bramble is behaving normally tonight; bright eyed, eating, maintaining temperature etc. She was still a bit groggy this morning (to be expected post GA) but hopefully tonight she will be back to normal.

Fingers crossed

Back