• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are there less rescue rabbits available?

Omi

Wise Old Thumper
Let me say first of all that if the answer is yes, this is something that I'm really very pleased about. I would however be very interested in people's thoughts and observations. I am wondering if this just appears to be the case to me as I am actively looking for some chums for Tethra and am finding that suitable rabbits seem to be few and far between. I also don't want to travel too far for any of them, in case I am unable to bond them and they need to be returned (well the possibility would be there that they might be returned;)) Tethra is doing very well and outwardly seems OK, but I don't want him to get too used to being lord of the manor :) It's good for him to share.

I'm sure there used to be lots of rabbits advertised in the RIN section, both by rescues and members. There seem to be very few posted now. Also, when I was last looking to adopt rabbits, probably around 6 years ago, I'm sure there were more on rescue sites.

It's also possible that I'm just getting impatient :lol: I think it's called "spoilt child syndrome" :lol:

Well wouldn't that be lovely for bunny kind. I think it peaks & troughs. It was really hard work getting a single female for Joey a few years ago - thats how come we ended up with Boo:lol: And we had to RSPCA in Altrincham (twice) to get her. I wonder is rhvd2 is having an impact on rescues open for adoption. I really hope you get him some lovely friends soon. Whats your criteria? And stop fooling yourself you'd be able to return them if it doesn't work out :lol:

Well wouldn't that be lovely for bunny kind. I think it peaks & troughs. It was really hard work getting a single female for Joey a few years ago - thats how come we ended up with Boo:lol: And we had to RSPCA in Altrincham (twice) to get her. I wonder is rhvd2 is having an impact on rescues open for adoption. I really hope you get him some lovely friends soon. Whats your criteria? And stop fooling yourself you'd be able to return them if it doesn't work out :lol:

The RSPCA seems to be the most hopeful at the moment for Tethra.

Tethra would like to meet another three rabbits with a view to sharing his life and home. He's quite flexible and would be happy to live with boys or girls. He prefers Rexes, because he understands them, but would also consider any uppy-eared rabbits. He's a gentle soul and so would preferably like rabbits to be of similar temperament and certainly not too bossy. He would prefer his new friends to be not too old, so that they can keep him feeling young at heart.

It's not me that I'm fooling about taking back rabbits who don't bond ;)

The RSPCA seems to be the most hopeful at the moment for Tethra.

Tethra would like to meet another three rabbits with a view to sharing his life and home. He's quite flexible and would be happy to live with boys or girls. He prefers Rexes, because he understands them, but would also consider any uppy-eared rabbits. He's a gentle soul and so would preferably like rabbits to be of similar temperament and certainly not too bossy. He would prefer his new friends to be not too old, so that they can keep him feeling young at heart.

It's not me that I'm fooling about taking back rabbits who don't bond ;)

ahh, I see. Are you going uppy based on preference or Santa's post (which makes complete sense to me) that all uppy earred buns will communicate better? I prefer uppy, I think that's why Mouse & Boo go helicopter for me :lol: Three more sounds fab

[/B]

ahh, I see. Are you going uppy based on preference or Santa's post (which makes complete sense to me) that all uppy earred buns will communicate better? I prefer uppy, I think that's why Mouse & Boo go helicopter for me :lol: Three more sounds fab

I prefer uppy-eared and Santa's post has just justified my preference :) Yeah, three more might be a bit ambitious, especially as I've no experience in bonding, but I don't want to be in this single rabbit situation again if I can help it.

I noticed when I was looking for a friend for Snoopy there didn't seem to be a lot of single females available. I was therefore extremely lucky that he clicked with the very first girl bun he was introduced to [emoji3]

I think if I were in your position I would book some appointments with the nearest rescues to you and take Tethra along to choose his friends for himself. As long as you're happy with the fact that his choices might be different to the kind of bunnies you might be hoping for. The advantage to that is the bonding should go more smoothly and would lessen the likelihood of you having to return them to rescue.

Good luck. I know there are some lucky bunnies out there who will have a lovely home with you and Tethra very soon [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed when I was looking for a friend for Snoopy there didn't seem to be a lot of single females available. I was therefore extremely lucky that he clicked with the very first girl bun he was introduced to [emoji3]

I think if I were in your position I would book some appointments with the nearest rescues to you and take Tethra along to choose his friends for himself. As long as you're happy with the fact that his choices might be different to the kind of bunnies you might be hoping for. The advantage to that is the bonding should go more smoothly and would lessen the likelihood of you having to return them to rescue.

Good luck. I know there are some lucky bunnies out there who will have a lovely home with you and Tethra very soon [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a big fan on introductory dates too

Yes, I can see that introductory dates could work well. I think it's more difficult though trying to get another three singles, or a pair and a single. It's not just Tethra who has to accept the new rabbits, the new rabbits have also to accept each other. Tethra also gets extremely stressed in the car and I just can't see that he would be able to relax enough to determine whether a rabbit would be suitable.

There doesn't seem to be as many advertised round here but the Vet Nurse said they are seeing more abandoned bunnies :cry:

I'm not sure in general, as I haven't looked recently, but I think your right that there definitely used to be more listed on here. In fact, I don't think I've seen any on here for a while.

Good luck in your quest :) x

I think there are less rabbit/ small animal rescues around, generally. There are none where we are except for the SSPCA who do all animals and are not always rabbit savy. The nearest is Fairly Beloved, which is over 100 miles away, 2-3 hour’s away. People are not willing to drive that distance to drop off a rabbit. This means more go for little or no money on gumtree or social media, are dumped or are pts ( less likely as it cost money).
It doesn’t mean there are less rabbits, it just means there are no cushions for those who fall foul of being unwanted.

Pets at home do have an adoption service, through which you are entitled to free vacinations and de sexing. However they do not seem to be that rabbit savvy with Rochdale Pets at home giving my daughter a male rabbit when she went for a female companion for Theo. You have to ask in store as the rescue bunnies are not on the shop floor. You can return the bunny if bonding does not work out but I think you need to be a little careful with the information you are given ie daughters bunny was adopted as female having had mouth surgery but on getting home and looking he is definitely a boy.

I think there are less rabbit/ small animal rescues around, generally. There are none where we are except for the SSPCA who do all animals and are not always rabbit savy. The nearest is Fairly Beloved, which is over 100 miles away, 2-3 hour’s away. People are not willing to drive that distance to drop off a rabbit. This means more go for little or no money on gumtree or social media, are dumped or are pts ( less likely as it cost money).
It doesn’t mean there are less rabbits, it just means there are no cushions for those who fall foul of being unwanted.

This seems plausible. I had also forgotten about social media. I am not part of FB, but I guess there are rabbits offered for adoption there.

tonibun - It would appear that we do not have a large stray population here, as I asked to my vet several weeks ago to let me know if they had an unclaimed stray. Tethra is needing his filivac in the next few weeks and I will discuss this with my vet again. I want to get his RHD2 vaccination done anyway before getting any new rabbits here.

TheThreeBs - Thanks for your good luck wishes.

Cuthbert&Dillon - Yes, I'm aware of the Pets at Home adoption service and have been looking there as well.

Have you tried looking on rabbit rehome website? http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/
There are a lot of rescues on there and also private rehoming too. I've found in the past that there has always been more of a demand/shortage of single female rabbits in rescue, and also found that a lot of rescues are so busy that their Facebook and websites are not necessarily updated, although that is not always the case:)

I hope you find suitable bunnies soon :thumb:

Thanks, Zoobec :) Yes, I check the rabbit rehome website almost daily, both in the individual rabbits search part and also go through the nearest rescues. You're right in that the rescues appear not to update their sites very often :)

I'm quite confident that we will find some friends for Tethra soon. I think also the fact that I've not bonded before makes me super cautious when characters are described. I'm quite protective of my little boy, who, whilst not being a cuddly rabbit, is extremely gentle. New rabbits need to be a positive stage in his life and I would rather wait until I feel it's the right mix.

I am interested in the rabbit rescue situation in general though. Maybe, it is the case that social media is playing a part in this.

There are hardly any on social media here as compared with a couple of years ago when there were many needing homes. I am sorry to say this but the RWA kept coming on the local website with lots of do's and dont's which I thought was too heavy-handed, and advertising unwanted rbbits has petered off since then. What are people doing with the rabbits they no longer can keep?

I expect there will be the usual influx of all kinds of pets in rescue after Christmas ...

How exciting looking for three more rabbits! I love having a quad. Hope you find some lovely friends for your boy very soon.

I know at Windwhistle there are more rabbits than ever coming in and as a result Alice just doesn't get any time to put them on RR or the website.

Thanks for posting this. Yes, I really wish Alice was much closer to me. If I was starting from scratch, without the bonding complication, I wouldn't hesitate to enquire about her rabbits.

I also had what I thought at the time was a hard time finding a single female for Lopsy. Looking back I was very lucky to get Aboleth so quickly! :S

Back