• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Conservatory for rabbits?

Lagomorphine

Warren Scout
Our two rabbits, Charlie and Willow live in the garden and seem to be quite happy. The have two hutches and a four-piece run with pipe connections; I have not measured the area but it's well over the recommended 60 square feet. So it's not that they seem unhappy but I have two basic problems now that the days are short (1) I hardly see them and (2) I worry about them at night.

Basically I leave for work in the dark and return in the dark; fortunately my wife only works part time so she can look after them. I see them over the weekend but from Monday to Friday I am a rabbit widow.

So I was wondering if you have any ideas as to how the situation could be improved. One of the ideas I'm toying with is something like a conservatory - some attachment to the house where they could come in for the night and then go back in the garden run for the day. This would allow me to see them and I would know that they are safe at night (my nightmare is that a fox will dig under the run - although Charlie and Willow seem quite sensible in that when they get scared, the disappear in the longer pipe that's more than 4 meters long, which would protect them quite well). But I'm not quite sure about building a conservatory just for the rabbits; the building costs seem a little bit prohibitive. So I'm looking for ideas for a halfway house solution - garden run for the day and semi-indoors for the night. Sadly bringing them in as house rabbits is not an option.

If you have any ideas, please share your thoughts and preferably a picture with me. Thanks.

The trouble with this situation would be the change in temperature between outside and in the conservatory. It would have to be kept at almost the same temp. Have you thought about a shed with lighting in it. This would protect the bunnies at night and they would probably choose to spend the cold wet days in there as well. A 7 x 5 shed wouldn't cost too much and it would last a lot longer than hutches do so in the long run you would save.

Yeah I also think a shed would solve your problems. You'd feel safer about the bunnies being in the shed at night and you could go spend time with them in there in the evenings. You'd be protected from the elements (it'd be cold, but no wind/wetness at least) and if it had lighting it wouldn't be dark so it'd be quite a comfortable place to sit down and hang out with the bunnies I think.:)

What about bringing them indoors in the winter and then when the summer is here they can go outside again. You could see them all the time then :)

Back