PDA

View Full Version : Drooling? update: good (ish) news!

xlaurax
21-11-2017, 07:19 PM
Hi everyone.

So this morning Bramble was all wet around her mouth and under her chin. First thing I did was make sure she was eating as normal - she was. Also bright eyed and her usual self. Teeth look healthy.

Later on in the day, she's still all wet around her mouth and specifically one cheek (left), under chin too. I've cleaned out the hutch, brought her and Bluebell inside and kept an eye on her. She's eating, grooming, jumping around as normal.. investigating/playing etc.

I've dried around her mouth with a towel and my plan is to see what she's like in the morning.

I'm worried about her passing it to Blue but I really hate separating them. The last time Bramble was ill, being separated from Blue really exacerbated the situation.

They have had their jabs at the vets.

Any advice appreciated.

Omi
21-11-2017, 07:47 PM
I'm sorry that Bramble is drooling. I would suspect that she has a dental problem, even though she is still eating normally. Personally I wouldn't separate them and of course if it is dental then there's no risk of contagion anyway. I would get her to the vets and get her teeth examined.

MightyMax
21-11-2017, 07:52 PM
Hi everyone.

So this morning Bramble was all wet around her mouth and under her chin. First thing I did was make sure she was eating as normal - she was. Also bright eyed and her usual self. Teeth look healthy.

Later on in the day, she's still all wet around her mouth and specifically one cheek (left), under chin too. I've cleaned out the hutch, brought her and Bluebell inside and kept an eye on her. She's eating, grooming, jumping around as normal.. investigating/playing etc.

I've dried around her mouth with a towel and my plan is to see what she's like in the morning.

I'm worried about her passing it to Blue but I really hate separating them. The last time Bramble was ill, being separated from Blue really exacerbated the situation.

They have had their jabs at the vets.

Any advice appreciated.

Hi Laura

The prime suspect in drooling is dental issues, or an incipient abscess (hope not!)

Please don't separate them!

Does she use a bowl, and is she drinking more recently?

xlaurax
21-11-2017, 08:05 PM
Hi Laura

The prime suspect in drooling is dental issues, or an incipient abscess (hope not!)

Please don't separate them!

Does she use a bowl, and is she drinking more recently?

Thanks for your reply!

She uses a bottle and it's hard to tell with them being together but the water hasn't been going down any quicker.

I'm happy to see her eating as normal and I'm not sure if it's dental as her teeth are in really good condition. Their diet is 90% hay and they go through loads of it. The vet always comments on how great they are.

Really hope it's not an abscess :(

MightyMax
21-11-2017, 09:11 PM
Thanks for your reply!

She uses a bottle and it's hard to tell with them being together but the water hasn't been going down any quicker.

I'm happy to see her eating as normal and I'm not sure if it's dental as her teeth are in really good condition. Their diet is 90% hay and they go through loads of it. The vet always comments on how great they are.

Really hope it's not an abscess :(

A vet can't see the back teeth properly unless the rabbit is under GA. There are a few vets who do 'conscious dentals' and in that case they *can* examine the back teeth whilst the rabbit is awake. It's estimated that most vets see little more than 50% of the cheek teeth with an otoscope.

Perhaps you can give her a bowl and see whether you still have the same issue?

xlaurax
21-11-2017, 09:58 PM
A vet can't see the back teeth properly unless the rabbit is under GA. There are a few vets who do 'conscious dentals' and in that case they *can* examine the back teeth whilst the rabbit is awake. It's estimated that most vets see little more than 50% of the cheek teeth with an otoscope.

Perhaps you can give her a bowl and see whether you still have the same issue?

Thanks I'll try that. I just went to check on her and she's a bit wet around the mouth again. I'll review in the morning. If it was an issue with the bottle would Blue be the same?

Am I right in thinking while she's eating and behaving normally I don't need to take her for urgent vet appt? If it carries on i will get her booked in but I don't want the vet to say "you should have brought her in immediately". Poor little mite I hope she's not in pain.

She's been poorly before and I've spotted it via the usual signs: dull eyes, no appetite, sat in a corner looking sad etc. She's behaving totally normally which is what's confusing me :S

joey&boo
21-11-2017, 10:06 PM
I'm afraid it does sound dental to me . Sometimes they just don't show the signs you expect & carry on regardless. It was only 10 days ago I started this thread

http://http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?467691-Spurs-or-something-else

Vibes for your girlie

MightyMax
21-11-2017, 10:37 PM
Thanks I'll try that. I just went to check on her and she's a bit wet around the mouth again. I'll review in the morning. If it was an issue with the bottle would Blue be the same?

Am I right in thinking while she's eating and behaving normally I don't need to take her for urgent vet appt? If it carries on i will get her booked in but I don't want the vet to say "you should have brought her in immediately". Poor little mite I hope she's not in pain.

She's been poorly before and I've spotted it via the usual signs: dull eyes, no appetite, sat in a corner looking sad etc. She's behaving totally normally which is what's confusing me :S

Some rabbits, even in dental pain, behave completely normally. They are such brave little soldiers it's sometimes impossible to know. I used to think a rabbit in pain wouldn't eat, but I know that's not always the case ..

I would treat it as important, but not urgent. If it were me I would schedule an appointment within the next day or so, but I always prefer to see my favoured vet. That would also be important to me.

Omi
22-11-2017, 07:04 AM
I would also prefer to get her seen within the next day or so. My reasoning would be that *if* she needs to have a GA to have any dental work done, I would prefer that to be done while she is bright and eating.

I know from recent experience that rabbits sometimes do not show illness until it progresses to a state where they are no longer able to hide it.

Jack's-Jane
22-11-2017, 07:34 AM
I would also prefer to get her seen within the next day or so. My reasoning would be that *if* she needs to have a GA to have any dental work done, I would prefer that to be done while she is bright and eating.

I know from recent experience that rabbits sometimes do not show illness until it progresses to a state where they are no longer able to hide it.

I agree Omi, it is almost always best to err on the side of caution. Hope all will be well for Bramble Laura x

xlaurax
22-11-2017, 08:46 AM
Thanks guys. Another issue is that I'm away this weekend and the last time Bramble was at the vets she fell into such a pit of despair after she ended up in hospital for three nights. She really didn't handle it well and that was just her jabs and a check up. I have two choices and I'm not sure what to do:

(1) Book her in the vets tomorrow, stay at home with her, make sure she's eating etc. Then I'm away Saturday and Sunday with no way to monitor her and we all know how quickly bunnies deteriorate

(2) Book her in for Monday, stay with her, I can be there all the time and make sure she's well. BUT she could be in agony until then.

I really don't know what to do! :(

Shimmer
22-11-2017, 09:11 AM
My first thoughts with a drooling bun is that it is probably a dental issue. You could book her in for an examination at the vet and get their advice. If Bramble is maintaining her weight, a dental (if that's what she needs) may wait until Monday when you can be there, but it depends entirely on what your vet finds during the examination - ie. a good look at the back teeth with an otoscope, signs of soft tissue damage in the mouth and a feel along the jawline, as well as ears & tummy check.

Do you trust whoever is looking after the bunnies over the weekend to keep a close eye on her to make sure she is eating?

xlaurax
22-11-2017, 09:39 AM
My first thoughts with a drooling bun is that it is probably a dental issue. You could book her in for an examination at the vet and get their advice. If Bramble is maintaining her weight, a dental (if that's what she needs) may wait until Monday when you can be there, but it depends entirely on what your vet finds during the examination - ie. a good look at the back teeth with an otoscope, signs of soft tissue damage in the mouth and a feel along the jawline, as well as ears & tummy check.

Do you trust whoever is looking after the bunnies over the weekend to keep a close eye on her to make sure she is eating?

Thank you for your reply. Yes it's my boyfriend's dad and I know he'll properly keep an eye on her. She is maintaining weight and she's "fighting" for her share of the food which is good. When I say fighting I mean the usual pushing and shoving around the bowl at feeding time. The last time she was poorly the first sign was that she wouldn't fight for her share of food, she would just sit and let Blue walk all over her.

What are other causes of dental issues other than bad diet? Their diet is perfect and I can't understand how she can have such issues. Unless it's an abscess or something else more serious :? :(

Shimmer
22-11-2017, 10:08 AM
Dental issues can just be one of those things. It is more common in rabbits with shorter faces (eg Netherland dwarf) or lop ears. There may be genetic predispositions to dental issues - which is why it important to choose breeding stock carefully based on several previous generations. Baby rabbits who are weaned onto muesli or a low hay / grass diet may develop issues - if they don't get the long fibres to chew, the chewing action is different and the teeth may not grow in proper alignment (plus over time, the situation may exacerbate). There isn't much you can do about what was inherited or potentially there before you get a rabbit - but you can encourage them to eat more hay / grass etc. to minimise future risks, including increasing the time between dentals.

xlaurax
22-11-2017, 11:43 AM
Dental issues can just be one of those things. It is more common in rabbits with shorter faces (eg Netherland dwarf) or lop ears. There may be genetic predispositions to dental issues - which is why it important to choose breeding stock carefully based on several previous generations. Baby rabbits who are weaned onto muesli or a low hay / grass diet may develop issues - if they don't get the long fibres to chew, the chewing action is different and the teeth may not grow in proper alignment (plus over time, the situation may exacerbate). There isn't much you can do about what was inherited or potentially there before you get a rabbit - but you can encourage them to eat more hay / grass etc. to minimise future risks, including increasing the time between dentals.

She's a mini lop and she does have a very flat face. I've had them from babies and she's 6 in January. Is it normal for them to develop issues after so many years or are they usually born with dental issues? Sorry I'm not very knowledgeable with dental stuff!

I'm so worried about how she will react at the vets. The last time she wouldn't eat the vet used a tool to look right at the back of her mouth and he felt around the inside of her mouth (brave!) and her jaw. That really upset her and was the lead up to her spending a few nights in hospital :(

She can't stand being handled by unfamiliar people but especially when they're so intrusive around her mouth. I'm really concerned.

joey&boo
22-11-2017, 12:00 PM
I think malocclussion (where there teeth are not lined up correctly) is something they are born with, the rest is classed as acquired dental disease. I don't understand much of it either . I don't understand why my bun became a dental bun at 4.5 either. It sounds like that device that holds open your rabbits mouth freaked her out last time? I'd be inclined to ask your vet to do a check via ottoscope & no other equipment unless she is sedated/ under GA

Do bear in mind she hasn't seen the vet yet - it might be something else x

xlaurax
22-11-2017, 01:10 PM
I think malocclussion (where there teeth are not lined up correctly) is something they are born with, the rest is classed as acquired dental disease. I don't understand much of it either . I don't understand why my bun became a dental bun at 4.5 either. It sounds like that device that holds open your rabbits mouth freaked her out last time? I'd be inclined to ask your vet to do a check via ottoscope & no other equipment unless she is sedated/ under GA

Do bear in mind she hasn't seen the vet yet - it might be something else x

Thank you. And thanks to everyone else for your replies. I've decided to book her in the vets tomorrow (Thursday) morning. I'm going to ask them to examine her and then take it from there. I think I'll feel better once I know what we're contending with. I'll update the thread tomorrow after the appointment.

MightyMax
22-11-2017, 01:45 PM
Thank you. And thanks to everyone else for your replies. I've decided to book her in the vets tomorrow (Thursday) morning. I'm going to ask them to examine her and then take it from there. I think I'll feel better once I know what we're contending with. I'll update the thread tomorrow after the appointment.

I think that's a very good idea :)

Just so you have a bit of info to be armed with, my lovely vet has these on her blog:

http://www.twickenhamvets.com/rabbit-dental-problems-part-1-malocclusion-cheek-teeth/

http://www.twickenhamvets.com/rabbit-dental-problems-part-2-malocclusion-incisors/

http://www.twickenhamvets.com/rabbit-dental-problems-part-3-abscesses-fractures/

I should've thought only the first link is at all relevant, and even then it might not be dental!
But I quoted them all for completeness :)

Omi
22-11-2017, 01:59 PM
I would have done the same. Sending lots of vibes for her vet appointment tomorrow.

xlaurax
22-11-2017, 09:37 PM
Thank you both. I'm feeling better now I have her booked in.

From reading the links it makes sense that it's spurs on her molars. Especially as one cheek is wet.

Poor little sausage. Will report back tomorrow am

Thanks again guys. Having knowledgeable people who also care about bunny welfare is invaluable at times like this :)

Jack's-Jane
23-11-2017, 04:58 AM
I hope all goes well for Bramble this morning x

MightyMax
23-11-2017, 06:15 AM
Thank you both. I'm feeling better now I have her booked in.

From reading the links it makes sense that it's spurs on her molars. Especially as one cheek is wet.

Poor little sausage. Will report back tomorrow am

Thanks again guys. Having knowledgeable people who also care about bunny welfare is invaluable at times like this :)

Glad the info was of some help, but not to worry you :)

Good luck with Bramble at the vet today :wave:

xlaurax
23-11-2017, 09:55 AM
Thanks guys. So, update:

The vet examined her mouth and as I thought, her teeth are pretty much perfect. One tiny spur on the left side of her mouth (not the wet cheek side). The soft tissue isn't inflamed though so the vet doubts that's the issue. She thinks it might be something at the roots of her teeth on the right side. Her right ear is slightly infected too. Given the amount of drool the vet says she thinks it's something quite serious but hopefully something they can resolve.

She's been kept in and they're going to anesthetise with diazepam (hopefully this will help with memory loss too), file down the spur, take some xrays, flush the ear and take it from there.

I went to the vets with two bunnies and came back with none! They're keeping Bluebell for moral support.

Bramble has also lost a considerable amount of weight - 500g. She's only 1300 now. That really concerns me with the anaesthetic aspect.

Waiting to hear back. The vet should call between 2 and 3 pm..

Shimmer
23-11-2017, 11:40 AM
I hope the vet finds the cause of the drooling, etc. I suspect you will come home armed with antibiotics and pain relief.

Omi
23-11-2017, 11:43 AM
Sending vibes for Bramble. I hope the vet can establish a cause for the drooling and that it's something that can be treated easily.

MightyMax
23-11-2017, 11:43 AM
Thanks guys. So, update:

The vet examined her mouth and as I thought, her teeth are pretty much perfect. One tiny spur on the left side of her mouth (not the wet cheek side). The soft tissue isn't inflamed though so the vet doubts that's the issue. She thinks it might be something at the roots of her teeth on the right side. Her right ear is slightly infected too. Given the amount of drool the vet says she thinks it's something quite serious but hopefully something they can resolve.

She's been kept in and they're going to anesthetise with diazepam (hopefully this will help with memory loss too), file down the spur, take some xrays, flush the ear and take it from there.

I went to the vets with two bunnies and came back with none! They're keeping Bluebell for moral support.

Bramble has also lost a considerable amount of weight - 500g. She's only 1300 now. That really concerns me with the anaesthetic aspect.

Hi Laura

You've absolutely done the right thing :)

Shame about the ear, but at least it's been spotted and is now being dealt with. That's great. And it's also difficult to know when a rabbit's lost weight or how much, so you'll now be able to perhaps give her a bit extra to build her up when she gets home.

Vibes for everything to go smoothly and that you'll soon all be reunited happily :D

Jack's-Jane
23-11-2017, 12:04 PM
Thanks guys. So, update:

I am sorry to hear that Bramble also has an ear infection. Sending lots more vibes xx

xlaurax
23-11-2017, 03:40 PM
Bad news guys.

Looks like it's mammary cancer. I am beyond gutted. They've taken a biopsy and we await the results but the early signs aren't good.

I'm picking her up at 7pm tonight and bringing her home with pain relief while we wait for the results.

I feel like I did my best by her, I had her spayed when she was young so I tried my hardest to prevent it but I guess these things happen and nobody ever deserves it. It's just the way life goes :(

They've advised having her put to sleep if it's cancer. I can't even begin to imagine how I'll cope, let alone Bluebell. The pair of them are inseparable. My heart is breaking.

joey&boo
23-11-2017, 03:44 PM
I'm gutted for you Laura, I so wish it could be better news x

Jack's-Jane
23-11-2017, 03:46 PM
Bad news guys.

Looks like it's mammary cancer. I am beyond gutted. They've taken a biopsy and we await the results but the early signs aren't good.

I'm picking her up at 7pm tonight and bringing her home with pain relief while we wait for the results.

I feel like I did my best by her, I had her spayed when she was young so I tried my hardest to prevent it but I guess these things happen and nobody ever deserves it. It's just the way life goes :(

They've advised having her put to sleep if it's cancer. I can't even begin to imagine how I'll cope, let alone Bluebell. The pair of them are inseparable. My heart is breaking.

I am really sorry to hear this :cry:

MightyMax
23-11-2017, 03:57 PM
Bad news guys.

Laura, I am so very sorry to hear this :(

My thoughts are with you, and I hope there is some good resolution for you both x

Omi
23-11-2017, 03:58 PM
I'm really so very sorry :(

kattymieoww
23-11-2017, 04:23 PM
Oh no,I'm sorry to hear this hugs for you and gentle nose rubs for Bramble.x

biscandmatt1
23-11-2017, 04:26 PM
So sorry you've had bad news :(

Babsie
23-11-2017, 04:26 PM
I'm so sorry to read this.:(

Pandora1
23-11-2017, 07:03 PM
So sorry to hear about your little bunny. You are doing the best for her and getting her to the vets.

Pandora

Zoobec
23-11-2017, 07:05 PM
Iím so sorry:cry: sending lots of vibes for her and hugs for you xx

mini lop1
23-11-2017, 08:07 PM
Only just seen this so sorry it's bad news 😢

Glingle
23-11-2017, 08:33 PM
I'm so sorry to read this, sending hugs and vibes x

TheThreeB's
23-11-2017, 09:15 PM
I'm so sorry :( xx

xlaurax
24-11-2017, 08:53 AM
Thank you everyone. She's taken her medicine and had some breakfast this morning. We have to wait a week for the results

xlaurax
29-11-2017, 07:29 PM
Firstly thank you to everyone for your support over this.

The results of the biopsy are back - it is NOT cancer.

It's an infection. A treatable infection. Picking up a stronger course of antibiotics tomorrow and she's back for check up in a week.

The main thing is it's NOT CANCER. Needless to say I'm over the moon! :D

MightyMax
29-11-2017, 07:30 PM

It's an infection. A treatable infection. Picking up a stronger course of antibiotics tomorrow and she's back for check up in a week.

What amazingly great news :D:D:D

tonibun
29-11-2017, 07:31 PM
That is so wonderful! I am nearly in tears I am so pleased!

Zoobec
29-11-2017, 07:43 PM
Iím so happy for you :thumb: I hope she is better soon xx

Omi
29-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Oh wow, that is fantastic news :D I am so pleased for you.

MimzMum
30-11-2017, 04:22 AM
That is stellar news! :D
So happy for you. I hope whatever treatment Bramble receives now has her back to herself in no time. :love: xxxxx

Jack's-Jane
30-11-2017, 04:42 AM

:D

xlaurax
09-12-2017, 05:07 PM
Hi everyone. So, check up appointment today. She's doing well and has put on 150g of the 500g she had lost. She's to be kept on the antibiotics for another week (sulfatrim) and then she should be fully recovered.

I've booked her for another weigh in in January just to see how she is getting on.

I'm so happy she is doing so well :)

MightyMax
09-12-2017, 06:19 PM
Hi everyone. So, check up appointment today. She's doing well and has put on 150g of the 500g she had lost. She's to be kept on the antibiotics for another week (sulfatrim) and then she should be fully recovered.

I've booked her for another weigh in in January just to see how she is getting on.

I'm so happy she is doing so well :)

This is music to my ears, Laura xx

tonibun
09-12-2017, 07:21 PM
I am so pleased bunny is doing well xx

Cuthbert&Dillon
09-12-2017, 07:57 PM
Really pleased to read this good news