• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Giving baytril easily!

nicolar

Mama Doe
Hi

My bunny is on a course of baytril after having an abcess on her foot removed last week. Has anybody got any suggestions of easily giving it to her, maybe ppl use fave veggies etc?

Any ideas helpful, she gets a bit stressed when I give it to her straight from the syringe. so was just wondering if any other method that would be kinder to her. I was thinking of putting it in her fave veggie (apple) to see if that would work. Any ideas welcome, otherwise I will continue to syringe it straight in!

Thanks for your help.

Nicola

Hi Nicola

I'm sure I've heard some people putting medication in between a favourite treat i.e sandwiched in a small piece of Ryvita, or if she likes her pelleted food, you could 'salad dressing' this with the Baytril. If she really likes apple, I would cut two small apple strips, and spread the Baytril inbetween :wink:

I have found a treat helps a lot - Rob has been on so much medication lately, at first it was a struggle, but I started filling his 'bounce back toy' with a grape, apple cubes, carrot squares etc and giving him this straight after medication. Now as soon as I shake the bell of the bounce back toy, he comes running over to the spot where he gets his medication and lets me syringe it. He's such a good boy - you would think I starved him :) :wink:

Hi Lynn

Thank you very much for your advice. I will try putting it between apple this afternoon and if that doesn't work then maybe on her dry food, she absolutely adores apple so it should work!

Pippa sounds a lot like Rob - u would think I starved her, greedy little girl! I have recently got a Bunny Kabob with a bell on the bottom and last night her ears pricked up when she heard the bell - anything to do with food is the best for her!!

Pip has been on a bit of medication recently too - Baytril on and off for the past few weeks cos of the abcess on her foot. Looks good now though - fingers crossed it doesn't come back :) .

Nicola

Glad Pippa is improving - it's horrible when they are unwell or on medication. I like the fact that buns are greedy :roll: - I find it's a great indicator that anything is wrong with them. The minute Rob shows disinterest with food is almost enough to have me booking a vet's appointment, which may seem over the top, but by past experience has normally been a pretty reliable sign that all is not well.

I use a bit of mashed up banana. They love it.

You can also put Baytril in their water. You have to make sure they drink it all though so is not a terribly scientific way to administer.

Yes I am glad too, her wound looks v good now, nearly wouldn't know she had had an operation!! You def couldn't tell just looking at her, bouncing about straight away!

Banana idea sounds great, will try that tomorrow, I'm switching veggies daily so she doesn't foresee where the Baytril is - I'm sure she can smell it a mile off!lol Apple last night, toasted bread tonight, banana tomorrow night ...... just two more nights after that!

I agree with you re. the greediness. If either of my rabbits stopped eating I would know there is something pretty well. The food doesn't normally touch the edge of the bowl, it's gone that quick lol. Wouldn't have it any other way!

I'm getting a new addition soon on foster - unfortunately she has cancer so I'm gonna try and give her the best home possible for the time she has left :)

I used to battle with the Baytril with one of my rabbits...... I found the best way was to squirt onto a piece of brocolli floret....and leave it for a minute or two to soak in......

Thanku, brocoli is a brill idea, she loves it as well! Hadn't thought of that, we start the next 5-day course of Baytril on Monday so I will be trying the brocoli trick! Bread is working really well as is apple and banana!

Hopefully that will b the end of the Baytril then, her wound has healed up so well, u wouldn't even know she had had an op!

Back