• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Some musings from a single rabbit household

Omi

Wise Old Thumper
Well, first of all I guess it was to be expected that a rabbit would behave not in accordance with expectations :lol:

Tethra is fine. He is lively and appears happy. We are observing more binkies than previously. This morning just speaking to him in a silly voice as I walked past him waiting in his "forage corner" produced several head binkies. A bit later, his watching me returning from the garden with the forage and walking towards him prompted running backwards and forwards interspersed with binkies :D

Someone tell him please, this is not how he is expected to behave :) Whilst I am obviously very happy that he is coping well, it's not helping my need to have more rabbits :lol: It's also possibly not a good indication of how he is really feeling, e.g. when it's cold in the middle of the night and he has no-one to snuggle with or no-one to groom his difficult to get to places :(

Additonally, I have to report that the shed and runs are now mostly spotless :) There are no poos that have missed a litter tray and certainly no hay that has been re-arranged. Good boy Tethra :D Is it wrong though that part of me thinks this is dull and boring behaviour :lol: My OH says I am one of those people who are never satisfied :lol:

No real point to this thread. I just find all of this interesting and wanted to share.

It is interesting, he seems to be coping very well :thumb: Boots my bridge Bun was always a lone bun, as is Frosty,(house rabbits) they seem perfectly happy and content compared to what my outdoor quad were like. I suppose they can do what they want when they want :lol:

Well, first of all I guess it was to be expected that a rabbit would behave not in accordance with expectations :lol:

Tethra is fine. He is lively and appears happy. We are observing more binkies than previously. This morning just speaking to him in a silly voice as I walked past him waiting in his "forage corner" produced several head binkies. A bit later, his watching me returning from the garden with the forage and walking towards him prompted running backwards and forwards interspersed with binkies :D

Someone tell him please, this is not how he is expected to behave :) Whilst I am obviously very happy that he is coping well, it's not helping my need to have more rabbits :lol: It's also possibly not a good indication of how he is really feeling, e.g. when it's cold in the middle of the night and he has no-one to snuggle with or no-one to groom his difficult to get to places :(

Additonally, I have to report that the shed and runs are now mostly spotless :) There are no poos that have missed a litter tray and certainly no hay that has been re-arranged. Good boy Tethra :D Is it wrong though that part of me thinks this is dull and boring behaviour :lol: My OH says I am one of those people who are never satisfied :lol:

No real point to this thread. I just find all of this interesting and wanted to share.

IME all Rabbits can often react very differently to a bereavement than the ways we may expect. Whilst I am obviously glad to see that a bereaved Rabbit is coping and in remarkably good spirits it usually makes me feel sad too. Sad that the remaining Rabbit appears not to miss their partner. But that's just me being both anthropomorphic and selfish ! The saddest scenario I have witnessed was when we lost Sir Victor. Lady Lydia never got over her loss and she was never the same again :cry:

Adjusting to having less Rabbits is something of a double edged sword. On the one hand having far less cleaning out etc to do and being able to devote more 1-2-1 time to individual Rabbits, the warren does feel very empty at times.

It is interesting, he seems to be coping very well :thumb: Boots my bridge Bun was always a lone bun, as is Frosty,(house rabbits) they seem perfectly happy and content compared to what my outdoor quad were like. I suppose they can do what they want when they want :lol:

I would not be so surprised if Tethra was in the house with us, but he's not. He's alone outside and with the best will in the world, attention from us is not constant.

IME all Rabbits can often react very differently to a bereavement than the ways we may expect. Whilst I am obviously glad to see that a bereaved Rabbit is coping and in remarkably good spirits it usually makes me feel sad too. Sad that the remaining Rabbit appears not to miss their partner. But that's just me being both anthropomorphic and selfish ! The saddest scenario I have witnessed was when we lost Sir Victor. Lady Lydia never got over her loss and she was never the same again :cry:

Adjusting to having less Rabbits is something of a double edged sword. On the one hand having far less cleaning out etc to do and being able to devote more 1-2-1 time to individual Rabbits, the warren does feel very empty at times.

This is my thinking too. I'm sad and miss them, so he should too. It seems selfish to voice this though, as I also really don't want him to be sad.

I'm also unsure how indicative the behaviour is of their actual feelings. As with so many rabbity things, it's a pity they can't tell us :(

I don't know what indication all of this is on any future bonding attempts either :?

:love: I'm glad he is doing well, he certainly sounds bouncy & happy. I know what you mean about being a bit boring - Boo being the most spirited here does provide me with more entertainment, I kinda like her Boodini-ness & bad behaviour (remember that vid of her cleaning out her own litter tray). Maybe boys are more tidy - I've only had 2 so hardly much experience but they have been very well behaved. My girl bunnies (Angel, Kitty, Noodle, Boo) have been really messy, Myrtle & Mouse a little less so but not as good as the boys.

Tethra will enjoy new friends I'm sure but its good there isn't any urgency as he looks to be physically & emotionally on great form. Have you been "looking" yet?

Hi Omi :)

This sounds so normal to me. A case in point is one of my own rabbits. She lost a partner (her first one) and I know they were very close by the way she tended him just before and during the period of his passing, quite apart from their togetherness in life. However, after he left, she behaved like Thethra is doing right now. Lots of life and attention and binkies and fun :)

But over time, her behaviour changed. Not that she became bored of doing binkies etc, but just that she began to give me the impression that something was missing. That she was lonely.

I decided to find her another partner. She was used to being independent, and going wherever she wanted to, whenever she liked. She was offended by the intruder initially, but it didn't take long before she was totally at ease and I could see that in the latter days she had wanted company again.

I can only say, watch the signs and you'll know when the time is right :)

:love: I'm glad he is doing well, he certainly sounds bouncy & happy. I know what you mean about being a bit boring - Boo being the most spirited here does provide me with more entertainment, I kinda like her Boodini-ness & bad behaviour (remember that vid of her cleaning out her own litter tray). Maybe boys are more tidy - I've only had 2 so hardly much experience but they have been very well behaved. My girl bunnies (Angel, Kitty, Noodle, Boo) have been really messy, Myrtle & Mouse a little less so but not as good as the boys.

Tethra will enjoy new friends I'm sure but its good there isn't any urgency as he looks to be physically & emotionally on great form. Have you been "looking" yet?[/QUOTE]

Yan was not tidy and he was also the most bouncy of them all. Tan was territorial and so re-arranged her environment :D I think maybe character is possibly as important as sex.

Yes, I've been "looking" several times a day in loads of different places :D I'm also open-minded whether to get one, two or three more. The only temptation was a doe, who looked to be perfect in every way, apart from the fact that she lives 4 hours away by car. I wouldn't mind if it was just the issue of collecting her, but I couldn't copy with the thought of returning her that distance if they didn't bond. Sometimes I think I think about things too deeply :lol: The problem is I always felt my four were "perfect" and I don't want to feel differently about new rabbits.

Tethra will enjoy new friends I'm sure but its good there isn't any urgency as he looks to be physically & emotionally on great form. Have you been "looking" yet?[/QUOTE]

Yan was not tidy and he was also the most bouncy of them all. Tan was territorial and so re-arranged her environment :D I think maybe character is possibly as important as sex.

Yes, I've been "looking" several times a day in loads of different places :D I'm also open-minded whether to get one, two or three more. The only temptation was a doe, who looked to be perfect in every way, apart from the fact that she lives 4 hours away by car. I wouldn't mind if it was just the issue of collecting her, but I couldn't copy with the thought of returning her that distance if they didn't bond. Sometimes I think I think about things too deeply :lol: The problem is I always felt my four were "perfect" and I don't want to feel differently about new rabbits.

Aww, they were perfect :love: nothing can take that away. Your next group (I say that as I firmly believe you should adopt 3 or 4 more :lol:) will be perfect in a different way. You might think it instantly or it might take time. I think I still yearn for the rabbits I've lost as I'll never experience that rabbits character again. They are all so different aren't they.

You are no doubt right - personality is more significant than gender

Hi Omi :)

This sounds so normal to me. A case in point is one of my own rabbits. She lost a partner (her first one) and I know they were very close by the way she tended him just before and during the period of his passing, quite apart from their togetherness in life. However, after he left, she behaved like Thethra is doing right now. Lots of life and attention and binkies and fun :)

But over time, her behaviour changed. Not that she became bored of doing binkies etc, but just that she began to give me the impression that something was missing. That she was lonely.

I decided to find her another partner. She was used to being independent, and going wherever she wanted to, whenever she liked. She was offended by the intruder initially, but it didn't take long before she was totally at ease and I could see that in the latter days she had wanted company again.

I can only say, watch the signs and you'll know when the time is right :)

Interesting, I hope you're right :)

I’ve recently gone from a multi to single rabbit household and am having exactly the same experience. My remaining bun has found a new lease of life and is all business. It is quite sad, he really adored his wee wife for sure.
He’s stopped being messy and now does (the majority) of his business in his litter tray. Doesn’t mess up his run as much - still throws hay and bowl around though. The really amazing thing to me though, is that he was previously quite old and stiff and not very mobile whereas now he’s running all over the house and doing circuits of the sofa!! I know it’s best for him to have a partner but in the meantime I’m just enjoying the change in him <3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back