• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies rescued from awful conditions

As I work at a vets (as a veterinary nurse), anyone who has any rabbity problems are pointed in my direction.
Last Saturday one of the nurses from the other branch rang me to say a woman would be calling me as she was moving and could not take her three female buns with her.

I received no phone call and the number I was given to contact her was "not connecting".
After four days of trying to get hold of her, I finally decided to bite the bullet and go to her house.
As the woman did not live in a particularly "friendly" area I took my mum for back up!

After knocking on the door for a while and nearly giving up.....she finally answered (in her pajamas!).
There was stuff everywhere.....apparantly her marriage has broken down and she is being evicted....hence having to move.

I asked where the bunnies were (wanted to get a look at them asap), to be told by the woman
"theres only two, one died on Sunday"

When I asked the woman why one died she said
"the cold weather, possibly neglect"

Eventhough I was very angry this was allowed to happen and she had not bothered to contact me, I managed to stay calm and I just said I would be back to pick them up later.
After a call to my friend (also a member on the forum) Jules we went out to the house the same evening armed with carry cases and plastic bags.

The aim was to clean the hutches out and take any that would be of any use.
After removing the buns and having a quick check over of them I began to clean one of the hutces out.
There was no bedding in the hutch....just lots of poo and wee.
I turned the muck from the hutch over to be faced with lots of maggotts......the hutches were riddled with them....we decided not to take the hutches and just grabbed the bunnies and ran!!!

One of the bunnies (Daisy, a little lop who Jules if fostering at the moment) has been given a clean bill of health.......
The other bunny (who I renamed Annabell) was in the hutch with the one that died, I expect the other one died due to starvation as this one is also very thin.

Hopefully these buns will be rehomed on RR once they have settled in a bit and we are able to take some pictures.

Well done to you both for rescuing these poor buns, I'm not sure I could have kept my cool they way you did. Some people just make you so mad :evil:

Beggars belief - makes you wonder how many poor buns there are stuck at the bottom of gardens waiting to either starve or freeze to death.

Beggars belief - makes you wonder how many poor buns there are stuck at the bottom of gardens waiting to either starve or freeze to death.

This is exactly what I worry about nearly every day.

BL**DY woman. How dare she. :evil: I hope she rots in ****

Well done you. Its amazing that Daisy is healthy after surviving that (that was quite a graphic description you gave there). Lucky the maggots didn't get into her and do their worst. Go and polish your halo
angel.gif
..and keep us informed of their progress

well done for coordinating such a rescue. must have taken some guts. hope they recover and settle quickly.

Sadly it is very common to find this :( , we've had four buns in from situations very similar (different owners), one of these buns (Shadey)even had a rock hard hen's-egg-sized dod of poop stuck to her bum, it had obviously been there for ages. She's turned out to be a very loving and sweet bunny, very gentle and very cute!

She can be seen up for adoption on my website www.bunnyhugger.co.uk

Pat yourselves on the back there Laura Bunny and Jules! A successful and well needed rescue all thanks to you two! :)

I really find it disturbing to hear of so many cases of terrible neglect :(
Do these people have no sense of remorse?! I can't bare to think of those buns living in piles of their own excreta and amongst harmful maggots!
I wonder if these people who neglect these animals would care to live in the same conditions?....hmmm I think not.

Well done for taking them in! I wish them a speedy and gentle return to good health and peak condition!

Just a note, the kind of fly larvae found in rabbit dung, particularly in hot weather, and often in poo corners which haven't been cleaned out, are not the same kind that eat into flesh as in fly-strike.

The small wrigglers that live in dirty hutches are quite literally, dung-flies; I've seen them in other people's hutches when cleaning out their rabbits and occasionally :oops: in mine in the summer (I will say emphatically, rarely!), but well under the bedding and only in the poo corner. They just eat poo and will not harm the animals.

The flies which cause fly strike are blowflies, aka bluebottles, horrible nasty big things they are. Their nasty fat larvae are carrion eaters not dung eaters, and are found in rotting meat, carcases etc. and also unfortunately relish our poor bunnies :(

Well done Laura and Jules for this rescue. At least these bunnies now have hope of a better future. I just don't know how some people live with themselves! :(

I just thought i would post some pickies of Daisy to temp you all :lol: :lol:

She will not be up for rehoming quite yet as she is a little maddam and bites :shock: :shock: Scratches :? :? and growels :(

I'm sure with a little TLC she will be fine soon. Watch this space.

Daisy.jpg

Daisy1.jpg

Well done girls for going round to the house. You could have so easily given up when no contact could be made by phone. It doesn't bear thinking about how many bunnies end up with this fate :cry: . Hope they find lovely homes soon :D .

Hi everyone,

here is the other little girl rescued from those awful conditions.

As you can see she is a little bit on the scruffy side at the moment but soon she will be back to full health.......and looking for a forever home!!!!

Her name is Annabell.

DSCN0124.jpg

DSCN0126.jpg

DSCN0128.jpg

awwwwwwwwwww she is lovely hope she is doing better now :D :D

i think i would have killed the woman if i met her :evil: :evil: :x :x

Back