• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny on his own :'(

Bikerbunny

New Kit
Hi all, It's a long time since I posted on here but need a little advise.
My beautiful girl Molly passed away this morning suddenly. She was off her food yesterday and hiding away. I took her to the vet and they gave her
a thorough check, her tummy, temperature, weight, everything was normal and we wondered if she had pulled a
muscle or hurt herself and was feeling sorry for herself, they gave me some pain relief and meds to keep her
gut moving but this morning when I lifted her out to give them to her she seemed really poorly and when I put her back in her run
she collapsed and then passed away. I'm so upset but now worrying about her Husbun Douglas, they have been a bonded
pair for four years since her previous partner Oscar died.

I don't know what to do for the best, he lives inside most of the time and gets lots of human attention but he is obviously grieving for Molly
as he is letting me hold him and cuddle him for ages which is not like him.

They also have a large run in the garden but I'm worried he'll be lonely out there alone during the day. I took him out
so that I could clean the indoor run but he wouldn't let me put him down, he normally rushes to get down.

I know it's best if he has a new companion but is it possible for him to live alone with just his human company? I can't keep
doing this forever, it's too heartbreaking losing one and watching the other grieve. :(:(:(

What would other people do in this situation?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, thanks for your reply, I have thought about it but it is just too painful to keep doing this, it feels like a circle, you have two bonded bunnies
then one passes, you find a new partner and then a few years later it happens again. Poor Douglas is only four and I don't want him to be unhappy,
maybe I will feel more up to finding him a new companion when I get over the loss of Molly.

I am very sorry for your loss :cry: It must have been a dreadful shock for you :cry:

Was Molly fully vaccinated against RHD1 and Myxomatosis (Nobivac Myxo-RHD) and also against RHD2- (Filivac) ?

RIP Molly x

I am very sorry for your loss :cry: It must have been a dreadful shock for you :cry:

Was Molly fully vaccinated against RHD1 and Myxomatosis (Nobivac Myxo-RHD) and also against RHD2- (Filivac) ?

RIP Molly x

Hi there, Thanks for your message, Yes Molly was fully vaccinated.

Hi there, Thanks for your message, Yes Molly was fully vaccinated.

Well at least that probably rules out RHD2 as the cause of your sudden and tragic loss. Not that, that makes it any 'better' of course :cry: but had Molly only had the one vaccine, the Nobivac and not the Filivac aswell, then it would be very risky to bring a new Rabbit in at this stage.

Well at least that probably rules out RHD2 as the cause of your sudden and tragic loss. Not that, that makes it any 'better' of course :cry: but had Molly only had the one vaccine, the Nobivac and not the Filivac aswell, then it would be very risky to bring a new Rabbit in at this stage.

I wouldn't do it for a while anyway just to make sure Douglas doesn't have what took Molly, really I'm wondering if Douglas would
be okay on his own as I'm not sure how many times I can go through with the heartbreak and indecision of what to do for the remaining bunny.
His run is in a room of the house we use a lot so there is always someone coming and going, I'll just have to keep a close eye on him for now,
he is eating and I've given him a large teddy for cuddles for the moment. Perhaps I'll feel more up to the decision in a day or two :(

Yes, I would be worried about having another rabbit without knowing what happened with Molly. My immediate thought was RHD 2, which a lot of people aren't aware of, thinking their rabbits are fully vaccinated, but its taken a lot of rabbits recently.

Yes, I would be worried about having another rabbit without knowing what happened with Molly. My immediate thought was RHD 2, which a lot of people aren't aware of, thinking their rabbits are fully vaccinated, but its taken a lot of rabbits recently.

Yes, sadly many people are unaware that the Nobivac only gives protection against RHD1 and that the other vaccine, Filivac, is now essential too.

Bikerbunny, you are right that now is probably not a good time to make any big decisions. Give yourself time to grieve and as you say, maybe in a while you will feel more able to make a decision about having another Rabbit x

Yes, sadly many people are unaware that the Nobivac only gives protection against RHD1 and that the other vaccine, Filivac, is now essential too.

Bikerbunny, you are right that now is probably not a good time to make any big decisions. Give yourself time to grieve and as you say, maybe in a while you will feel more able to make a decision about having another Rabbit x

I'm not sure if vets are informing people about this new strain of VHD and the necessity to have the additional vaccination, or whether people are just finding out by places like this forum and spreading the word.

I'm not sure if vets are informing people about this new strain of VHD and the necessity to have the additional vaccination, or whether people are just finding out by places like this forum and spreading the word.

Our vet in Penzance has been informing rabbit owners of the new strain and offering vaccination for a few months now.

Back