• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Kit & more Kits

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
Hiya,

I got an enquiry through RR but its not one I know the answer too, perhaps one of the members who breed could help?

My female rabbit had 4 kits on September 24 and she found her way
back to the male a few days later. I believe she is pregnant again and
due to give birth the end of October. The kits will be about 4-5 weeks
old. How do I need to handle this? Will the older kits need to be
removed? What if they are not completely weened from mom?

Thanks,
Tam

hummm,
i know this has happend b4 but pesonlly i dont know what to do but the kits wont be fully weened till about 6 weeks. but im some cases it depends on the mother, i have one that was pregnate and was living with her daughter and was fine with it but some can get very tempremental and aggressive. im not fully sure about this and will need an 2nd opinion but she might nedd to take mom away from the kits and try to hand rear them till about 6 weeks of age
becky

No personal experience but my opinion is that the Kits need to be weaned from the dam prior to birth.
Weaning can actually be done at around 4 weeks. Many commercial meat producers do this but I never recommend this as normal practice for any domesticated rabbit

You need to first check that the doe is actually in kit. It is likely that she is, but not definite! Ask him/her (Owner, not the rabbit) to seek the advice from a local experienced breeder who "may" be able to help by palpating the doe to feel for the presence of kits. Ring the BRC for recommendations of local breeders.

They should be on solids by four weeks but they will need a close eye kept on them and individual intervention if they are not getting enough nutrition.

Again, this is just my thoughts and not based upon actual experience.

Pendragon/Yvonne ? :) ?

There was a really good breeders group that anyone could have gained help from but that is now a closed shop thanks to harrasment both on and off list from members of "another" group, which shall remain nameless!

Try posting on the Yahoo group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UKRabbitBreeders/

Did I mention Squirrels?
No?
Got away with that then! ;-)

Silly Billy - did you get my Email?

A kit is a rabbit that is made up of various parts that you glue together and then paint. BunnyFix are perhaps the best known manufacturers. ;-)

Turns out she's in the US. Any advice on what the 4 week olds should be eating?

Thanks,
Tam

Ps. Kits = baby bunnies

I've had this happen myself, several years ago with my 1st 2 rabbits that i kept together believing they were same sex :oops: until i found the babies, buck was immediately removed and 4wks later doe had a single kit which she successfully raised at the same time as weaning the 5kits from her 1st litter. Knowing what i know now, I'd never leave the older kits in but would wean the 1st litter at 4wks as by this time they will be feeding themselves and should have also worked out how to use the water bottle. I would then add a bottle of lactol as well as probiotics in the water and keep a close eye out for sticky bums, signs of bloat and also make sure all the kits are using the bottle and feeding.

Yvonne

Bob said:
Silly Billy - did you get my Email?

oooh just got it ( Mubby always forgets tpo check his mail :roll: ) :lol:

thansk Bob that made me larf!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

A kit is a rabbit that is made up of various parts that you glue together and then paint. BunnyFix are perhaps the best known manufacturers. ;-)

i must be really blonde... coz i still dont get it !! :lol:

Rexy bexy said:
a baby rabbit is called a kit :lol:
becky

well i thought that in the first place!! and i asked someone and they said no :?

well i like being blonde !!lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mubby said:
Rexy bexy said:
a baby rabbit is called a kit :lol:
becky

well i thought that in the first place!! and i asked someone and they said no :?

well i like being blonde !!lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bless your little cotton socks!

(You need the plastic type glue in a tube)

Bob said:
Bless your little cotton socks!

(You need the plastic type glue in a tube)

BOB!!! stop it!! .lol

I belive what im told !lol :lol:

it just wasnt making sence LOL!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :p

Back