• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and artificial grass

zarathustra

Warren Scout
So, when they boys are free of their ringworm and have had all their jabs etc I’m looking st getting them a nice sized which will be connected to their hutch via a pipe so they can come and go as the please.

The options in our garden are a concrete patio or the artificial grass.

The patio would be good to help keep their claws short, but would possibly be bad for their joints, and it would be in the way of the back door.

So that leaves the artificial grass. I know it is supposed to be safe for rabbits, it the soft non looped kind, so they can’t get caught in it, and it won’t smell like grass so aside from a little nibble to test it I don’t seem them eating it as such.

But, I don’t really want them trying to dig through the grass.

What are people’s thoughts on some industustrial style rubber matting, or some other bunny safe material under the run?

It’s not going to damage the garden, and I thought it would also be easy to keep clean.

I would opt for the concrete personally. They might try to eat artificial grass like they sometimes eat lino or cardboard, plastic etc! :roll:

Our rabbits LOVE the artificial grass and they have never chewed it. We used Namgrass enigma, it's the plush one but they do a full range to suit variety of budgets. It's great as we hoover it weekly and it stays dry all year round . Our garden used to be full of mud in which water never drained, now it just soaks through and they get to play on it straight after it's rained. We have tiles in their run, I think a mix of both is good for :)

photo.php
before
photo.php
after

Artificial grass can be an issue for pets:
- It gets hot in the sun.
- It smells with wee, etc, so needs regular cleaning and disinfecting.
- It doesn't stop weeds and grass growing through it, so you will still eventually end up having to deal with weeds.
- Like indoor carpet, it could cause rabbits to get sore hocks. The fibres are intended to be tough, but that isn't good on delicate furry feet.

Concrete may seem boring but would be my preferred option. It's dig proof (for predators and rabbits), easy to keep clean, wears claws down and is safe on furry feet. You can put matting on top, or containers of growing grass if needed.

Natural grass is a good option as well. You can put mesh underneath it to stop digging through. It's cooler in the sun, almost self cleaning and provides the perfect diet.

Just watched an article on a TV show about pest control.The usual rats,mice,squirrels,etc. The guy was from a pest control company,one thing he did say that Urban foxes obviously carry fleas,fair enough.However he said artificial lawns can be full of fleas as they jump off the foxes onto it.Basically it's like a carpet to them.Another black mark for plastic grass.

Back