• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

At what temperature would be unsafe for outdoor rabbits ?

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
My neighbour said there have been forecasts that the temperature may get as low as - 11c this winter, so at what point would it be dangerous to still have rabbits outside ?

Well I"m no expert on this but I think if they're used to living in the cold outside then 10 or so degrees colder than the usual lowest temp isn't going to make much difference if they're given plenty of bedding and covered well.

I'd probably be more worried of stressing them by bringing them in. Although, saying that, when we had outdoor rabbits we always brought them in when temps dropped too low at night because in Florida rabbits don't get thick fur coats and the temp can go from hot to freezing in the span of a couple days which can cause respiratory illnesses.

We had one winter like that & my buns were out. My playhouse has a plywood inner shell, so I stuffed it with straw behind. I also nailed clear shower curtains over all the mesh Windows. I added a smaller hutch inside, with a cardboard box in the sleeper compartment. The gap between hutch & box was also straw stuffed. The whole hutch was covered with a horse rug. Twice a day, snuggle safes went in & the water was kept on a heat pad. It stayed warm enough inside & they still went out the catflap into the aviary - although I lost my skin on the lock one day when it was minus 16!

I actually might bring in if it happens this year - only because a fair few of my rabbits are old

Depends on how long it's like that I would say: if it's below freezing for a few days that's usually OK but below -5 for a few days is a different matter. If it's -11 at night but only 0 or -2 during the day, I'd say they'd probably be alright as long as that didn't go on for more than three or four days. Angie65's precautions are much the same as mine: cover windows, provide insulation, snuggly things, but not too much so they can't get away and go and sit in the cold if they wish.

Mine were fine a few years ago when we had temps of -10 for days at a time. The worst thing was keeping the water from freezing within an hour. I persuaded my husband to run electricity to the shed so we could put in an electric greenhouse heater. It kept the shed at about 1 degree above freezing and stopped the water freezing. But the bunnies still chose to sit outside all night :lol:.

Back