• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cataract surgery

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone know of any surgeries which do cataract removal, with the replacement of the lens or fluid to enable the bunny to see again?

Tapla has recently gone blind in her second eye. She's very happy in the shed where she can find her way around very easily but she is spending almost no time in their run and runaround tubes anymore and is very nervous when free ranging (she only free ranges for about an hour at a time a few times a week when she is supervised by me). Basically she is fairly confined to their 6 x 4 ft shed which I don't feel is a good quality of life for her when she usually spends most of her time faffing around and snoozing in their run.

I am considering having one of both eyes but it's only worth it if she can see with it afterwards, a straight-forward removal is no use if it doesn't restore her eyesight at least partially. She has been fully blind in one eye for about 4 or 5 years, she managed completely fine with one eye so just having one eye done is a total option.

I know Parsnipbun had the surgery done on one of her buns and I've PMed her but had no response yet, I know she's a busy person though so I thought I'd post here :) She said she had it done at RVC which I'm unable to pinpoint just by the initials... does it ring any bells for anyone? I'm thinking Royal Veterinary College London?

Anyone know of anywhere? And anyone had it done? Any experiences would be welcome to hear :)

Tapla is 8, so not a baby anymore, so I haven't fully decided whether surgery is a good idea. If I do get it done it'll be with full approval by my vet and I'd have some bloods run to ensure no hidden organ problems etc. All the precautions necessary will be taken :)

Does anyone know of any surgeries which do cataract removal, with the replacement of the lens or fluid to enable the bunny to see again?

Tapla has recently gone blind in her second eye. She's very happy in the shed where she can find her way around very easily but she is spending almost no time in their run and runaround tubes anymore and is very nervous when free ranging (she only free ranges for about an hour at a time a few times a week when she is supervised by me). Basically she is fairly confined to their 6 x 4 ft shed which I don't feel is a good quality of life for her when she usually spends most of her time faffing around and snoozing in their run.

I am considering having one of both eyes but it's only worth it if she can see with it afterwards, a straight-forward removal is no use if it doesn't restore her eyesight at least partially. She has been fully blind in one eye for about 4 or 5 years, she managed completely fine with one eye so just having one eye done is a total option.

I know Parsnipbun had the surgery done on one of her buns and I've PMed her but had no response yet, I know she's a busy person though so I thought I'd post here :) She said she had it done at RVC which I'm unable to pinpoint just by the initials... does it ring any bells for anyone? I'm thinking Royal Veterinary College London?

Anyone know of anywhere? And anyone had it done? Any experiences would be welcome to hear :)

Tapla is 8, so not a baby anymore, so I haven't fully decided whether surgery is a good idea. If I do get it done it'll be with full approval by my vet and I'd have some bloods run to ensure no hidden organ problems etc. All the precautions necessary will be taken :)

One of Parsnipbun's threads is here, if it's of any use?

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-one-eye-again!!&highlight=parsnipbun+charlie

That's the one yeah, thanks! I've just had a re-read and it looks to be the one in London, I've looked on google maps and it's about a 2 hour drive and comes with the logistics of staying/parking/driving in London but it's doable!

Would definitely be interested to see if there are any other vets throughout the country who do it if anyone knows of any. I'm based in Worcestershire. The bunnies don't love travelling but are quite good about it especially motorway journeys so if there's somewhere 3 hours away but it's more motorway based they'd prefer that I'm sure. They chill out more easily with motorway driving!

(Oops, Jane posted about another while I was scribing)

I am pretty sure the only other vets that do the surgery are the Royal D!ck in Edinburgh. There is a RUer from Scotland, (iiisecondcreep) whose rabbit had the surgery but chose RVC instead of Royal D!ck. It may have changed but at that time they were the only two. I have briefly discussed the surgery with my vets as I have 4 rabbits with cataracts. They are however coping well.

Last edited:
Gosh I didn't even know cataract surgery was available for bunnies or I might have opted it for Mimzy whilst he was still here. I am fighting cataracts in my Yorkie's eyes too, but due to iris degeneration it is not an option to have them removed.

I don't have any useful advice but didn't want to read and run. It is good to see a post from you again Yaretzi, although I wish it were under happier circumstances. I do hope that whatever you decide for Tapla that it will work out well. :love: xxxxx

That's the one yeah, thanks! I've just had a re-read and it looks to be the one in London, I've looked on google maps and it's about a 2 hour drive and comes with the logistics of staying/parking/driving in London but it's doable!

Would definitely be interested to see if there are any other vets throughout the country who do it if anyone knows of any. I'm based in Worcestershire. The bunnies don't love travelling but are quite good about it especially motorway journeys so if there's somewhere 3 hours away but it's more motorway based they'd prefer that I'm sure. They chill out more easily with motorway driving!

You're welcome :)

I hope you hear back from Twigs soon :thumb:

(Oops, Jane posted about another while I was scribing)

I am pretty sure the only other vets that do the surgery are the Royal D!ck in Edinburgh. There is a RUer from Scotland, (iiisecondcreep) whose rabbit had the surgery but chose RVC instead of Royal D!ck. It may have changed but at that time they were the only two. I have briefly discussed the surgery with my vets as I have 4 rabbits with cataracts. They are however coping well.

:wave:
My thread is here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?443078-Bunny-Cataracts-advice-on-options

Its now been two years since MJ had his surgery, he goes for regular check up at the D!ck vet, initally quarterly but as of his last appointment we're down to every 6 months as his eye pressures have stabilised. He will continue to require eye drops for the rest of his life but he doesn't mind them at all. Only problem we've had since the surgery was he recently had an unrelated eye ulcer but it healed/cleared very quickly with some cream.

Good luck with Tapla, Yaretzi. I hope the RVC are able to help :)

My thread is here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?443078-Bunny-Cataracts-advice-on-options

Its now been two years since MJ had his surgery, he goes for regular check up at the D!ck vet, initally quarterly but as of his last appointment we're down to every 6 months as his eye pressures have stabilised. He will continue to require eye drops for the rest of his life but he doesn't mind them at all. Only problem we've had since the surgery was he recently had an unrelated eye ulcer but it healed/cleared very quickly with some cream.

So pleased to hear that MJ is still doing well :)

So pleased to hear MJ is doing well :wave:

Back