PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas anyone??

Laura_bunny
14-10-2004, 08:19 PM
Wondering if anyone can help,

I have recently rescued a bun that was neglected by its previous owner.
I think it may be an angora x, however she is very thin and am after any tips (other than offering lots of food) that could help me build her weight back up a bit.

Thanks,

laura

nicolar
14-10-2004, 08:59 PM
Hi

I hope that you get her weight up and she feels better soon. Supreme Recovery that you can get from your vet is a good mix for helping underweight rabbits.

Have you had her checked to see whether there is a reason why she is so thin? e.g. teeth?

I knew a rabbit like this, she was very thin and it eventually turned out that her teeth meant she couldn't eat properly and she had GI problems.

Hope your baby gets better soon.

Nicola

Adele
14-10-2004, 09:05 PM
Hello, baby food is great for adding weight to bunnies and if you buy the carrot and potato one it is high in fibre too.
We had a baby Angora arrive here a Month or so ago, and she was underweight having been neglected too :? ..a Month of dried food (small amounts but at regular intervals throughout the day) a third of a jar of baby food a day, and piles of hay later, Tilly is back to normal weight for her size :D

If bunnies are underweight they tend to feel the cold more, so ensure the bunny is kept warm, and has lots of hay to hide in!.

I found with Tilly that she had little energy until she gained weight, so she tended to nap more than usual.
Lots of TLC also helps, but I am sure you are giving that already...and a nice gentle grooming session to keep the circulation going and make the fur shine!! :D

Tamsin
14-10-2004, 11:14 PM
We found porridge (oats made up with water) really good. We mixed in veggies and pellets to make a mash. Have you had the vet check for teeth problems as that can be behind weight loss. It may well be she's just been neglected but possible best to double check.

Goodluck!
Tam

Laura_bunny
15-10-2004, 11:24 AM
Thankyou for your help,

I work at a vets so the morning after I got her I took her in.......very healthy apart from being skinny.