• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to Help

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
I had posted earlier in the week on another thread that I am currently in south Spain next to a park where people have dumped their pet rabbits. To cut a long story short the first rabbit Ben, a REW with very poor sight who was very under weight and being dropped by kids was rescued by a lovely Spanish girl via a rabbit group very similar to rabbitsunited. She got him vet checked and he is living in a room separate from her own female bunny. She did an amazing job getting his bottom cleaned too.

Today she took the second bunny, beautiful female to a sanctuary but the vet was not there until Monday so she took her to her own vet. The bunny is severy underweight , has severe ringworm on all 4 feet and some gastro problems. So needs meds twice a day. The sanctuary cannot take this female until she is better in a few months time. These 2 bunnies were very close to death and this girl has saved their lives. The female bun has to stay at her grandmothere to avoid infecting the other 2 buns.

So the Spanish girl who is only about 18 or 19 has taken on alot and I would like to help buy maybe 2 dog pens and some food to help. She sends me lots if pics and it would be good to have a bigger area for the buns. I have given her 50 euros towards the vet bills which she wasn't going to take bur I made her as it's not fair on a young girl and she has such a big heart. She doesn't know yet that I am asking here.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could help raise some money? If I'm not allowed to ask here please say and I will remove this post.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sorry I'm not sure how to raise money (gofundme? only thing I know of) but I'm so glad those two bunnies were helped! Great of the girl to step in and you as well considering you're on holiday! I hope lots of other nice people rescue the buns and birds in need in that park. I saw your other thread and it doesn't look like a good place for any of them, with kids injuring them and people probably feeding them bad food etc. :(

Thanks William, yes have seen Go Fund Me type things so that is an option have also see something some rescues do which is an Amazon wish list but not sure if that would work in this instance, i will have to investigate more. Yes I am soo relieved these 2 babies are safe now. Yes they are eatting g alot of bread and being chased by kids whilst parents do nothing :(

I had posted earlier in the week on another thread that I am currently in south Spain next to a park where people have dumped their pet rabbits. To cut a long story short the first rabbit Ben, a REW with very poor sight who was very under weight and being dropped by kids was rescued by a lovely Spanish girl via a rabbit group very similar to rabbitsunited. She got him vet checked and he is living in a room separate from her own female bunny. She did an amazing job getting his bottom cleaned too.

Today she took the second bunny, beautiful female to a sanctuary but the vet was not there until Monday so she took her to her own vet. The bunny is severy underweight , has severe ringworm on all 4 feet and some gastro problems. So needs meds twice a day. The sanctuary cannot take this female until she is better in a few months time. These 2 bunnies were very close to death and this girl has saved their lives. The female bun has to stay at her grandmothere to avoid infecting the other 2 buns.

So the Spanish girl who is only about 18 or 19 has taken on alot and I would like to help buy maybe 2 dog pens and some food to help. She sends me lots if pics and it would be good to have a bigger area for the buns. I have given her 50 euros towards the vet bills which she wasn't going to take bur I made her as it's not fair on a young girl and she has such a big heart. She doesn't know yet that I am asking here.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could help raise some money? If I'm not allowed to ask here please say and I will remove this post.

Thanks

Nicky, you can start a 'GoFundMe' page or "justGiving' and put the link in your signature. In fact any way you wish to raise money for these innocent souls you can do it that way. People then can contact either you or wherever your link goes to.

I also want to say that it is due to you and your efforts that either these buns is rescued at all. Of course you were powerless to take them yourself but you took risks yourself in order to save their lives.

It's been heartbreaking to hear of the lives these rabbits have to lead because humans decide they are 'disposable' :(

Thank you MM I will check out the go fund me then , I hope it's not too difficult to set up, I hate computers! I know I helped but wish I could help.this girl more with these buns I would have loved to help get them back to full health, nurse them, feed them , cuddle them etc but I know she will do a great job.

Thank you MM I will check out the go fund me then , I hope it's not too difficult to set up, I hate computers! I know I helped but wish I could help.this girl more with these buns I would have loved to help get them back to full health, nurse them, feed them , cuddle them etc but I know she will do a great job.

I wonder if there's any way to start a petition trying to get people *not* to dump their rabbits in the park? I guess it would have to come from someone in Spain to start it - I can't imagine any rabbit lover would condone it, and yet it seems to make the park 'popular' ...

That would be a great idea, they do have a sign outside the park saying "do not dump animals " like that really works . Yes the park is popular because of them and the other wildlife sadly.

That would be a great idea, they do have a sign outside the park saying "do not dump animals " like that really works . Yes the park is popular because of them and the other wildlife sadly.

Well the write up for the park says this:

Children love it. Over the years, the park has become something of an impromptu animal sanctuary, with rabbits, peacocks, goats, emus, donkeys and various other animals. Some of them wander around freely and are always a big hit with the younger members of the family.

The bigger animals, the goats, peacocks and emus have been placed and are cared for by the Benalmádena town hall. The rabbits, chickens, guinea pigs, and hamsters (yes, we've seen a couple of bewildered looking hamsters) have been abandoned and have since made the park their home. All of the animals are accustomed to humans and are very tame.

It seems to be accepted that the animals are abandoned here. Presumably the rabbits breed and those that aren't able to fend for themselves die a painful death through starvation or some other means.

Hats off too you Nicky for all you've done. But it must have brought a note of sadness to your holiday. Were you expecting it?

Is this anywhere near Benalmedina? A friend is holidaying there at the moment and has Facebook tagged me saying I'd love the park because of all the rabbits😢😢

No MightyMax I wasn't expecting what I saw, I expected mostly wildies with say 2 or 3 domestic buns but there are about 30 that I saw. It definitely did bring sadness to the holiday but thankfully never saw any hamsters or guinea pigs. I never saw any young baby bunnies oddly which you would expect with so many free buns there.

Yes Den, it right in Benalmedena.

Back